• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Length Conundrum

hikernut05

Diva in Training
I'm new to this website but am happy that I came across a site where I can search for all things female ski related.

I consider myself an intermediate skier. I ski mainly blue runs and am starting to venture down black runs and becoming more confident in doing so. I am a very cautious skier; don't like to ski very fast and I am quite fearful of new terrain. I have a general fear of the unknown. I love skiing at my local mountain because I am familiar with the terrain and if I feel like getting out of my comfort zone, I can certainly do that there. We are in the PNW and ski at Stevens Pass. We go skiing most weekends.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my longing issue; what ski length is better for me? I have three pairs of skis. I mainly use my Blizzard Sambas (I think they are the 2014 model), 152's. I also have another set of Sambas, the 2015/2016 model, 159's; these have touring bindings on them. My husband convinced me that I would love to hike with my skis on, and although I do enjoy it, I am never going to be at his level and I'm OK with that. He is an expert level skier. I mainly like the touring aspect for the exercise. We go to our local mountain after they are closed for the season and skin up, ski down. It's great fun and a very good workout but I have to admit, I am a groomer skier. I have also hiked up to Camp Muir with my skis and skied the Muir snow field. It was tiring but I felt a huge sense of accomplishment after doing that, and we did it as a day trip. My third set of skis, I do not even use anymore. They are Volkl Essenzas, 147's. I started out with these when I got back into skiing after being out of it for over 17 years. I call them my "baby skis" now. :smile: They were a good stepping stone. I only skied for a couple of years and was never any good at it. I've been skiing now for about four solid years. I feel that my skill level/comfort zone is increasing every year.

I am constantly wondering what length of ski is best for me. My husband tells me I will gain more confidence if I ski on the 159's. I have been skiing them pretty frequently lately but I will often switch back to the 152's after a few runs. I just feel more confident on the shorter length. I am always saying, "I can just make zippier turns with them." Not to mention, the Sambas with the touring bindings feel much heavier than my 152's. They are about 2.4 lbs heavier, in fact. Husband doesn't think that's a big deal but to me, I feel it.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with going from a shorter length to a longer length? Should I want to ski the longer ski? I admit that sometimes the longer ski feels more "stable" but I also don't feel like the turning radius on the longer ski is as good as my shorter ski. I seem to like to make those zippier turns when I ski. I do want to ski a bit faster but I am more concerned with safety, being aware of others around me and not hurting myself! I torn my ACL two years ago on my last run of the day, on a measly green run. I'm living proof that injuries don't just happen to people that ski fast!

Thanks for any advice!

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world!!

Weight and ability are really the deciding factors in ski length, along with height.

Longer skis to some extent are more stable at speed. Too long is a problem too.

So to help you out...height and weight?

hikernut05

Diva in Training
Welcome to our world!!

Weight and ability are really the deciding factors in ski length, along with height.

Longer skis to some extent are more stable at speed. Too long is a problem too.

So to help you out...height and weight?

Thank you for replying! I’m 5’2”, 138 lbs.

GoingDownhillWeeeee!

Certified Ski Diva
I'm 5'1 and my skis are 152 and 153 cm. I don't know the Samba but in general, 152 might be a little on the short side but still reasonable for your height and skill.

And really, you should ski the ski you're most comfortable on. Longer isn't necessarily better.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have come to a great place for research, fun, and encouragement.

You're already well into some awesome experience with the touring. I can't help you with ski length, not knowing your stats, so I'm just saying " welcome":tongue:

hikernut05

Diva in Training
Agreed. I do think skiing on what you're comfortable with is a good rule to stand by. In hindsight, I probably should have went with a 154 or 156 but oh well. Live and learn.

Jilly

Staff member
So length also depends on the ski type. Some skis have rocker. This means that not all of the ski is on the snow. The Samba is one of these skis. Rocker, camber, rocker. So if you're craving skis are 147, then you can easily go 10cm longer for the Samba. 159 is your ideal length for this skis. But if you're happy on the 152's. If you find that they chatter or appear squirrely at any speed, then it's time to move up length.

FWIW - I'm 5'4 and 155lb, my RCR skis (Vantage 95C) are 171.

Christy

Angel Diva
My husband tells me I will gain more confidence if I ski on the 159's.

I don't get the basis for that statement. You have both sets of skis; if you enjoyed the 159s more and they made you feel more confident, you'd know. And binding weight is something that can matter. I think Jilly nailed it--if the 152s are squirrely/chattery, then yeah, they are probably too short. But it doesn't sound like that's the case.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are happier on the 152s, then there's your answer. I've owned the Sambas and while they do have rocker, it's not crazy pronounced rocker, and I didn't feel they skied that short. FWIW I'm 5'5" and just switched from a 166 Black Pearl to a 159 Black Pearl. I prefer the maneuverability of the shorter ski more, and don't feel much change in stability at all.

elemmac

Angel Diva
The bindings may have a large amount to do with the confidence you have on the 152s vs. 159s. Both the weight of them and the stand height (this is assuming they are frame AT bindings and not pin AT bindings...assumption is based on the fact you said they were a lot heavier). A lower stand height on a ski as wide as a Samba is going to make them a lot easier to maneuver, especially when you're not putting them up on edge and arcing a high speed turn. Based on your height, weight and ability, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 159 for you, in general.

If you get a chance at a local hill, get out and demo some skis, even if you're not really looking for a new pair. Maybe try something lighter, something longer. The joys about demoing is that you're not locked into any ski beyond one run. You can start to develop an understanding of what you like and don't like in a ski, and what type of ski you can ski longer, and which ones you prefer shorter.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I prefer a shorter ski as well, since I like my short radius turns and I no longer want to go fast. I just demo'd (and purchased) the Black Pearl 88 in a 159. I'm 5'6" about 160 and 58 years old. Age also makes a difference, I'm finding. I break easier now, hence the dialing down on speed.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am 5'1 and 102 and have been skiing the last 5 days on my 2014 sambas 152. I recently bought the black crows but have been strictly on the sambas... Those skis rip and yesterday I received compliments on my skiing two different times... On easy groomers but guess I was in the groove!

Last edited:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I read your post, it seems you have the sizing backwards? Don't most people go with the shorter ski for touring, both to reduce weight and to make it easier to do kick turns and such?? Maybe there would be less difference in feel if the bindings were swapped?

I haven't started touring yet, so I may just be blowing smoke out my a$$. Just a thought, though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna