• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Ski Instructor Courses

DirtyCheetah

Diva in Training
Hello Ladies!! I LOVE skidiva.com! :thumbsup:
I am hoping you can give me some advice, I am a 31yo Paramedic in the land of OZ and desperately need a decent career break/career change.
I am very keen to do one of the long ski instructor courses (10-12 weeks) primarily as a structured way to improve my skiing (I am currently intermediate) but also to obtain a qualification that I can then hopefully use to gain employment in the ski industry overseas. There are so many companies offering these courses that I am a bit unsure who to go with or if there is a better way to go about it? Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated. I am very interested in the course in Myoko, Japan or Banff with Peak Leaders...anyone have any input? I would be particularly interested to hear what you think my chances would be of getting a job overseas if I complete the course and pass the BASI or CASI level 2 qualification? :help: Thanks!!

niko

Certified Ski Diva
Hi dirtycheetah
Ive been looking into courses too. Im heading over to canada in 2010 to do an improvement course with nonstopski- they do instructor courses too. Also snow and ski company do courses in NZ and utah i think.

DirtyCheetah

Diva in Training
Oh cool, so does that mean I am not the only one having a mid-life-ski-crisis!?!
I have been looking at the Nonstop, Peak Leaders, International Academy, Rookie Academy, Snowskool and Snow Challenge Canada courses but it is really hard trying to figure out which ones are the better operators and which ones just run McSki programs for Gappies.
I like the idea of the course in Japan as I lived there for a year and it is such a great place. I would love to then go work in Canada/US for a few seasons.
Why have you chosen Nonstop? I love the idea of their AMP course, that sounds really cool! I can't wait to get back on the snow...arghhh!:p

Jilly

Staff member
I'm not sure about BASI, but I'm a member of the CSIA (CASI is the snowboard side!). International certification requires level 3. There are 4 total certification levels in Canada, along with park and pipe. The higher levels also require some racing background. There are 2 programs at Tremblant that I know of. One is a weekend course that ends up with level 1. The other is for students that are doing a "gap" year.

Go to www.snowpro.com to check into Canadian certification. I don't know of any programs like your talking about in the east. Maybe our Alberta and BC Diva's might know more. I know that CSIA offers courses during our summer in NZ and its about a 3 week program. I'll check who runs those courses and see if they do the same here in Canada somewhere.

Auski

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ladies,

You are not alone, I went through this quite a few years ago. I was living in Aus at that time and chose a 3 month course at Mt Washington on Vancouver Island, BC,Canada. It was with Skier's Edge, run by an Aussie (Ian .. can't remember his last name, amazing teacher) and a Canadian Level IV examiner (Mike Dempsey), I had one of the best times of my life! It was a brilliant course, I left with my CSIA level 2 and a whole new outlook on the world.

I had no problems getting work in Canada and Australia (Falls Creek) and spent the next few years hopping between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, I think I went about 5 years without a summer.

Go for it, I'm sure you wont regret it. :thumbsup:

LindsaySkiGal

Certified Ski Diva
I think I went about 5 years without a summer.

How awesome!! :thumbsup:

This year will be my first year as a ski instructor. Instead of taking a course, I'm learning on the fly through my local resort. I wonder how being employed as an instuctor and taking instructor classes compares...

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How awesome!! :thumbsup:

This year will be my first year as a ski instructor. Instead of taking a course, I'm learning on the fly through my local resort. I wonder how being employed as an instuctor and taking instructor classes compares...

Where are you working?Working as an insructor is a great way to go!You will get paid training and a pass!

T

LindsaySkiGal

Certified Ski Diva
I'll be instructing at 7 springs (close to Pittsburgh, PA). Although the little extra money will be nice, I'm doing it to improve my own skiing more than anything :eyebrows:

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cool I have skied with some folks from there.If you attend the training clinics your skiing with improve tenfold!

T

jaelni

Certified Ski Diva
Hi dirtycheetah
Ive been looking into courses too. Im heading over to canada in 2010 to do an improvement course with nonstopski- they do instructor courses too. Also snow and ski company do courses in NZ and utah i think.

Hi Niko,
i am doing a nonstop course as well ( 2 week ski improvement 30.10.10 - 14.02.10) then jumping on the nonstop ski safari. Which course are you on? Maybe we will cross paths somewhere at Fernie. Our ski improvement group is not staying at the Red Tree Lodge- we are down at the Best Western.
I did the Mim Sodergren Women's Program at Falls creek this year and our instructor had done the nonstop program as well, she said it was pretty good.

Anyway getting very excited and counting down the weeks

niko

Certified Ski Diva
dirtycheetah i mainly choose nonstop as i really was looking to improve my skiing not necessarily get my instructor qualifications-so i chose the master the mountain course.

Jaelni- i will be in fernie then too. Im doing the 6 wk mtm course (12.1.10-22-2.10). Not sure where ill be staying hopefully the lodge. Prob will cross paths- may be able to catch up for a ski . Im counting down the days. Have you organised your insurance? Im having trouble finding someone who will cover backcountry skiing

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi guys, just a quick input from me as I've drooled about this option for many years... and yes, you *can* take your dog - I've asked! :wink:

OK, personally I prefer nonstop - I've spoken to the people at internationalacademy and also nonstop. International Academy seems to be aimed at "gap year" Brits and is held primarily in Banff. Banff is a nice town, but if you're over 25 you're going to feel ancient. Nonstop seemed to have a more professional attitude and one of their instructors I spoke to also works as a bootfitter - not relevant I know, but what I meant was that they're local people heavily involved in the community which I find nice.

Nonstop also work out of Red Mountain which I think would be an excellent alternative to Banff. Less getting drunk, more skiing!

Whichever way you choose to go I am soooooo, so envious - although make sure you get good insurance - I've seen more than one International Academy person sit out the course with their leg in plaster and no chance of a refund!

Some of the courses don't include the CSIA II as standard and you'll have to pay that fee yourself - but well worth it. I've seen people take the CSIA I who've only had 2 weeks skiing experience before they started the course - so there will definitely be mixed abilities but of course you'll be split in to good groups.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna