• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Confessions :) ...Just for fun...

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I admit, while I tackle most of the terrain on the hill I cannot for the life of me do a box or rail. Every time I try I look like a n00b again (and usually come home with bruises and sore bits!). Even the little kiddy ones that are practically level with the snow!

Similarly, I'm pretty awful at doing 360s on the snow. And skiing backward. The twin tips make it easier, but still, it's pretty embarassing.

Also, if I see someone who is around my level of skiier and I don't know them, especially women, I feel the need to beat them down the hill. (see? It's not just a guy thing)

Whenever I see a guy standing at the top of a run and assessing the situation or dawdling about dropping in, it takes all I have not to fly past him at full speed and drop in before him.

OK I'll say my hail mary's now. :smile:

So, what are your skiing confessions?

altagirl

Staff member
I won't even try a rail because I'm pretty sure it won't go well and I'm sure I would just be black and blue. Well, and they don't have any at my home mountain so I wouldn't even get to practice regularly, but when I see one I don't bother.

And I will say that your need to beat people down the hill who fit a certain demographic? I totally have that too. I feel like I have it almost totally under control these days and can convince myself to let it go and do my own thing and zen out and stay relaxed, but it's still there under the surface for sure.

But if I see a guy being hesitant, especially at the top of a powder run... I'm not gonna lie. I'm totally snaking their line. (Now if it was a little kid or someone I know and want to encourage to enjoy the powder and I know they are nervous, I'm patient. But random people - especially men, or friends who are just dawdling? I wouldn't think twice.)

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I ride the chairlift I find myself watching the snowboarders and tell myself , " I must try that someday." I think this year will be "someday" at some point.

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boxes and rails... Nooo, my poor skis. On rentals...maybe, if there was no one else around I might try :laugh: The same with jumps, I'd like to try but when every 8 yo is better than me...

I usually don't try to overcome anyone but no one is skiing past me :becky:

I absolutely panic if I find myself facing uphill and moving. I can't even do a 360 on snow because after 180 I panic and stop myself. (I have been able to do it a few years ago.)

I love skis that are too advanced for me.

SkiRunYoga

Certified Ski Diva
Great thread!

I have to admit :embarrassed: I don't know how to use my poles....I can ski most terrain, but never understood the purpose of poles except for balance :noidea: I will take a lesson this year to learn how to properly use them though :thumbsup:

As far as rails/boxes/jumps...did them on my snowboard, but don't think I could put my skis through that.

I'm with all of the other Diva's that love to surpass the men :clap: Nothing like whipping by a "slow poke" hehehe...

Jilly

Staff member
I love to fly. Full bore giant GS turns on groomed. Scared Robyn the first year I was out at A Basin. But it was sooooooo good and no one there!

On another note, DH and I love to ski Petit Bonheur (Tremblant beginner run north side) fast and scare the beginners!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sing. On the hill, on the chair, in the liftline.....(usually at the top of my voice, too!) :redface:

RuthB

Angel Diva
Or human slalom poles!

human slalom poles are so tempting. And I do like flying on the groomed. I do love that feeling of sitting on the edges and powering out of a turn on the groomed stuff.

Another guilty pleasure is that smug feeling when you nail a bumb run or ungroomed line.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Most of the time I'd rather ski alone than with others

I like skiing switch better than forward

I am not that tough, and I would rather go inside once an hour when it is really cold

I actually *like* being the slowest one in a group, as it pushes me to get better, especially off-piste

I also love ripping a huge, wide, not-too-challenging groomer

I really love jumping in the park (basic straightforward stuff), and when I do it all seems ok, but it scares me every time and half of the time I chicken out. I am not really sure why

mustski

Angel Diva
I am too worried about my "old" knees to try new park tricks. I have two goals: to beat my husband down the run ... I did it once...and to still be skiing when I am 70 so I can get the "ski free" benefit that some mountains offer. I also secretly enjoy zipping by snowboarders who had the nerve to cut me off!

Jilly

Staff member
mustski you just reminded me on something - I want to be like Lilgeorg and ski my age in days!!

abc

Banned
Oh, I'm so embarassed...

When I see a stretch that tilts UP and a whole bunch of people walking like ducks out of water... I got super-excited!

I LOVE skating pass people no uphills!!!

I know it's just my x-c alter-ego playing on me. What I really want is to x-c ski but for every x-c resort, there're 10 alpine resorts so at least I'm skiing...

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am too worried about my "old" knees to try new park tricks. I have two goals: to beat my husband down the run ... I did it once...and to still be skiing when I am 70 so I can get the "ski free" benefit that some mountains offer. I also secretly enjoy zipping by snowboarders who had the nerve to cut me off!

I totally echo this. Knees, beat husband (or DS), ski when older.....and ABSOLUTELY dust some yahoo who cut me off earlier. I don't scare them, just leave them behind. Heh heh.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sing. On the hill, on the chair, in the liftline.....(usually at the top of my voice, too!) :redface:

I don't have to confess this - anyone who's skied with me knows that when the going gets tough, I sing Henry the Eighth. I think most of them would rather I didn't ... but that's just too bad!

Confessions? I'm scared way more often than I'd like to admit. Again, probably not a surprise to those who ski with me. And I ski best when I'm in a group with a woman who doesn't ski as well as I do, because I feel like I have to show her that it's no big deal and that it can be skied well, and how to do so. It's amazing how well that works. I ski my absolute best when I'm just trying to make another person comfortable on intimidating terrain.

SkiRunYoga

Certified Ski Diva
Oh, I'm so embarassed...

When I see a stretch that tilts UP and a whole bunch of people walking like ducks out of water... I got super-excited!

Hahahaha! That was me before switching to skis...yes I remember those days. That was a big motivation for switching :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna