• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski boot help: flex?

mintzcole

Certified Ski Diva
I’m looking for new ski boots. I bought technica HV in an 85 flex last winter about this time. Since then I’ve taken a bunch if lessons, spent more time on the snow, and bought longer, stiffer skis. I am skiing more aggressively this year tackling groomed east coast blacks. My foot is slipping around in my boot and I’m pulling my heel completely up. #1 I need medium volume. #2 I probably would do better in 22.5 (not 23.5) #3. Would like stiffer flex. I am probably going to purchase the Salomon Supra boots with BOA (yes I’ve been to a bootfitter). I may have to order online to get the smaller size and then take to the local bootfitter. My question is/asking for advice on the flex. The 95 still feels soft and the 105 feels supportive but stiff. I can flex the ski inside. However, I ski 40-50% of the time with my kids. What do you ladies prefer/recomend? Am I going to regret a stiffer flex (105) when skiing with kids? If I had older kids or no kids I would buy the 105 flex. For reference I’m 5’1” 130-135 lb in decent shape, strength train with barbell 3-4x a week.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
You would really be best served having a bootfitter fit you and determine what shape, size, volume, and flex would work best for your anatomy, skill level, and goals.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
(yes I’ve been to a bootfitter).
What is the bootfitter recommending?
If I had older kids or no kids I would buy the 105 flex
And if the bootfitter thinks the 105 will be good for you, keep in mind that your kids are getting older. You will have these boots for several years, and then your kids will be several years older. Also, even though you mostly ski with your kids, surely you will get a few runs in without them on occasion.

But the bigger part is not the age of your kids, but the recommendations of a good bootfitter.

mintzcole

Certified Ski Diva
You would really be best served having a bootfitter fit you and determine what shape, size, volume, and flex would work best for your anatomy, skill level, and goals.
I did go to a bootfitter. They simply don’t have a small enough size and essentially told me the flex was up to me because I could flex both boots. They only went to a 23.5. Their suggestion was to order the smaller size online and bring it in.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I did go to a bootfitter. They simply don’t have a small enough size and essentially told me the flex was up to me because I could flex both boots. They only went to a 23.5. Their suggestion was to order the smaller size online and bring it in.
Ahh I see.. my bootfitter had a very strong opinion on which flex I should be in when buying boots last. But I guess it depends on the individual.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m looking for new ski boots. I bought technica HV in an 85 flex last winter about this time. Since then I’ve taken a bunch if lessons, spent more time on the snow, and bought longer, stiffer skis. I am skiing more aggressively this year tackling groomed east coast blacks. My foot is slipping around in my boot and I’m pulling my heel completely up. #1 I need medium volume. #2 I probably would do better in 22.5 (not 23.5) #3. Would like stiffer flex. I am probably going to purchase the Salomon Supra boots with BOA (yes I’ve been to a bootfitter). I may have to order online to get the smaller size and then take to the local bootfitter. My question is/asking for advice on the flex. The 95 still feels soft and the 105 feels supportive but stiff. I can flex the ski inside. However, I ski 40-50% of the time with my kids. What do you ladies prefer/recomend? Am I going to regret a stiffer flex (105) when skiing with kids? If I had older kids or no kids I would buy the 105 flex. For reference I’m 5’1” 130-135 lb in decent shape, strength train with barbell 3-4x a week.

Whew a lot of information here to dissect.
First let me say, Missyski and diymom have given you some good advice, but I may go a little deeper.

Obviously the HV in the tecnica boot you have is high volume. Do you have a high volume foot?
I'd be curious what your width and instep measurements are. I can count on one hand, how many HV boots I've sold in the 13 years I've been a fitter. Its so much easier to make room in a boot if you have a few pressure points than it is to take up volume if its too high volume

RE: Flex. I tend to put someone in a stiffer boot if they have ankle range of motion that is on either limited or excessive end of the spectrum. This is because you want the boot to push back when you flex into it if you have limited range of motion, and also if you have a ton of ankle ROM so you don't crush the boot.

And as @diymom says, the higher flex boots (like over 100) tend to have better liners and will not pack out as easily. They also fit differently because of the higher quality liner.
I really think, (based on your information) that you will like the 105(110) much better than the 85s

Who did you go to for your fitting?
Maybe I missed, where are you located? I could recommend a shop that may have what you need.

mintzcole

Certified Ski Diva
Who did you go to for your fitting?
Maybe I missed, where are you located? I could recommend a shop that may have what you need.
Thanks for your input. I live in Raleigh NC. I have been to Cand R and Ski Country Sports. Unfortunately both are limited in the stock they carry. I ended up in a HV boot to make room for my calves and high instep. The BOA system on the Salomon’s makes my high instep a non issue. I measure at 22.5 and do not have HV foot. I am also skiing more aggressively this year than last year when I bought the boots. I have had several lessons since last year and have advanced quickly. I spend 20-30 days on the snow (oldest is in a ski team). There is a chance Ski Barn in Snow Shoe may have a 22.5 but they were unsure if they had any boots that small on their next shipment.

I will also add the Salomon 95 flex did not feel significantly different than my current boots. The 105 flex felt like they were supporting my legs but started to feel tight after about 30 minutes in them in the store. I anticipate that would not be the case out skiing but sometimes my almost 4 yo won’t let go of me skiing and that kills my legs. We’re working on her skiing independently ;)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sorry if I didn't catch it but, what 105 were you in? The Salomon?

So, here is the good news, You have options that will address your low volume foot and your athletic calf.

If you go to a good shop with the proper oven to put the boots in, you can get a low volume boot to fit your feet properly, heat it up and make room around your calves.
Also, I've put heel lifts in a woman's boot, not for balance but to get the calf above the cuff of the boot. (make sense?)

This may be a stretch for you but if you can make it to Snowshoe West Virginia, one of the top 10 bootfitters in the world has a shop there. I'm guessing he's 5 ish hours away from where you are.
I gaurantee that he has a decent selection of boots in your size.
He's one of the Masterfit University Ski Boot Fitting instructors. He taught me a thing or two about ski bootfitting.
(I think several Divas used him when he was based out of Vail)

Greg Hoffman.
You can see his FB page here.

mintzcole

Certified Ski Diva
I'm sorry if I didn't catch it but, what 105 were you in? The Salomon?

So, here is the good news, You have options that will address your low volume foot and your athletic calf.

If you go to a good shop with the proper oven to put the boots in, you can get a low volume boot to fit your feet properly, heat it up and make room around your calves.
Also, I've put heel lifts in a woman's boot, not for balance but to get the calf above the cuff of the boot. (make sense?)

This may be a stretch for you but if you can make it to Snowshoe West Virginia, one of the top 10 bootfitters in the world has a shop there. I'm guessing he's 5 ish hours away from where you are.
I gaurantee that he has a decent selection of boots in your size.
He's one of the Masterfit University Ski Boot Fitting instructors. He taught me a thing or two about ski bootfitting.
(I think several Divas used him when he was based out of Vail)

Greg Hoffman.
You can see his FB page here.
I will be up in Snowshoe in a couple weeks. When I called a week ago they didn’t have any 22.5’s in a higher flex. They did mention that they were expecting a mid winter shipment.

and yes the 105 were Salomon. I tried on a technical Conchise in a 22.5 at 95 flex but I don’t like to buckle over my high instep and they felt soft and I had heel slip…

Last edited:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will be up in Snowshoe in a couple weeks. When I called a week ago they didn’t have any 22.5’s in a higher flex. They did mention that they were expecting a mid winter shipment.

and yes the 105 were Salomon. I tried on a technical Conchise in a 22.5 at 95 flex but I don’t like to buckle over my high instep and they felt soft and I had heel slip…
If you can go see Greg, do it!
I reached out to him via text, and told him that I recommended him for you, and also told him you needed a 22.5 low volume but a calf stretch. He gave me a thumbs up but didn't elaborate.

Either way, he will get you sorted out and figure something out for you!

Seaglass Skier

Certified Ski Diva
RE: Flex. I tend to put someone in a stiffer boot if they have ankle range of motion that is on either limited or excessive end of the spectrum. This is because you want the boot to push back when you flex into it if you have limited range of motion, and also if you have a ton of ankle ROM so you don't crush the boot.

And as @diymom says, the higher flex boots (like over 100) tend to have better liners and will not pack out as easily. They also fit differently because of the higher quality liner.
I really think, (based on your information) that you will like the 105(110) much better than the 85s
I thought my LV excessive foot mobility was letting me crush the boot easier. As a beginner I wasn't given flex guidelines either. This is fascinating, thank you!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought my LV excessive foot mobility was letting me crush the boot easier. As a beginner I wasn't given flex guidelines either. This is fascinating, thank you!
Any time you have a question I'll be happy to answer and if I don't know the answer I know people to ask and if that doesn't work....I'll make up something that will entertain you. :banana:

mintzcole

Certified Ski Diva
Gregg put me in the technica Mach 1 115 flex at 22.5. Now working on the foot bed. I bought them in the morning and took them back in the afternoon for some adjustments and will ski them tomorrow to see how they feel. It’s interesting that they feel good in The shop and then I clip into the skis and ski them and hot spots pop up. But I told Gregg what I felt and he made adjustments immediately that felt better.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you're getting there!!

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Gregg put me in the technica Mach 1 115 flex at 22.5. Now working on the foot bed. I bought them in the morning and took them back in the afternoon for some adjustments and will ski them tomorrow to see how they feel. It’s interesting that they feel good in The shop and then I clip into the skis and ski them and hot spots pop up. But I told Gregg what I felt and he made adjustments immediately that felt better.
Those are the boots he recommended for me too! Did he make space for the calf?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga