• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Blades: What the What?

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is this (whatever they are called :smile: ) what the Aspen ski school uses in their "Bumps for Boomers" program?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Is this (whatever they are called :smile: ) what the Aspen ski school uses in their "Bumps for Boomers" program?
Based on reading the Boomer website, I don't think so. They start people on relatively short skis, but I think means 20-30cm shorter than the standard length. Ski blades are a lot shorter. Remind me more of inline skates than skis. Remember seeing someone on Snowbird front side groomers on some.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Then I have to try mines for carving! Occasionally got a pair of Firefly's.
They could also be handy (or better to say, leggy? :becky:) for someone who would like to try some figure skiing, or ski dancing. :banana:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My hub the ski patroller says they are super awesome for spiral fractures of the lower leg.

I thought that was with the old bindings, not the proper modern bindings.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My hub the ski patroller says they are super awesome for spiral fractures of the lower leg.

A proper ski boots if used with the blades should be a good protection against any lower leg fractures, as they are hard enough, no?

Jilly

Staff member
The original Salomon snowblades did not have releaseable bindings. One of the reason's Salomon stop making them was they got sued because of that. Most knock offs has the releaseable bindings.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you may have to accept that the term ski/snow blades, like Kleenex, has broadened beyond the original Salomon product.

Jilly

Staff member
And like Kleenex the Salomon trademarked "snowblade". But it does get used for anything in the 100cm range that is not a kid's ski.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Beautiful clip showing dancing on the snow blades. Amazing music :loco:

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in the late 90's/early 2000's when snow blades were the new cool thing I was a snowboarder back then and rented some snow blades to try out. I had so much fun and that started be on my journey back to becoming a skier.

Back then Whiteface used super short Rossignol skis and snowblades for teaching beginners. They short beginner skis had real bindings and were 110/120/130 lengths. I ended up getting a pair of 120's for myself and skied them for a few years. Eventually I dove in a got some 144 length skis and have slowly gone up in length over the years and now ski the correct length skis for my 5' 9" height.

The pic is from 2003 or so, Sunday River I think.
double black.jpg

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in the late 90's/early 2000's when snow blades were the new cool thing I was a snowboarder back then and rented some snow blades to try out. I had so much fun and that started be on my journey back to becoming a skier.

Back then Whiteface used super short Rossignol skis and snowblades for teaching beginners. They short beginner skis had real bindings and were 110/120/130 lengths. I ended up getting a pair of 120's for myself and skied them for a few years. Eventually I dove in a got some 144 length skis and have slowly gone up in length over the years and now ski the correct length skis for my 5' 9" height.

The pic is from 2003 or so, Sunday River I think.
View attachment 6551

Wow - did you ski that double black with those adorable little skis?

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sure did, no poles either. If I remember correctly it was groomed and a bit icy (like a good black groomer should be in the east) and I'm sure I did a lot of sliding as opposed to carving. I learned later on that the longer the ski, the longer the edge and therefore the better they can grip ice.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Were they by chance Rossignols? I came across a pair of adult 120s with rental bindings in my local Goodwill the other day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna