• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski ballet makes a return

GingerSnaps

Certified Ski Diva
This seems like something I would have been interested in, being a figure skater prior to skiing. Too bad I was way too young when it was in the Olympics and started skiing more than 20 years after this faded away. I kinda wanna try it!!!!

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
I'm always trying to find people to teach me ski ballet moves. Usually when I see someone doing ballet, they're on the old straight skis making it look easy.

marta

Angel Diva
Correct. A couple of winters ago, we did some group whirlies with "Marta Ears," took videos, but this is an absurdly grainy convert/upload, if it works at all.

MSL I just found this is old thread for the first time, how did I never see this before?
LOL!!! What a riot! Why have I never tried to do this?

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This was huge at Waterville Valley when I lived there in the 90s- there was even a dedicated ballet arena. Participants in the freestyle program at BBTS had to learn ballet- I even had to at one point as a part of my race training! The arena was right under the quad, a central gawker point in pre-terrain park time. I do miss it, it's very elegant. Surprised more freestyle kids these days haven't gotten into it more. Ballet skiers had thicker poles with no straps to make flipping easier. The addition of modern photography includng POV cameras like GoPro adds a whole new element! That video you posted @Ringrat is awesome!

I actually had the pleasure of skiing with Glen Plake for a few runs at Lost Valley a few years back, we chatted about ski ballet and I got to see him pull some sweet old school moves :-) No pictures though!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just found this and had to add it to the thread. Very cool!

RX2SKI

Certified Ski Diva
Whoops, haven't been on the boards for awhile and missed my "page".

Yes, I had about a dozen years experience with ballet skiing. Only made it to nationals for ballet (as opposed to international for moguls). Just couldn't get to that next level without a coach and attending college.

Here is a link to a bunch of ballet videos on YouTube. I'm in the first two, but a lot of the others are from international competitions.

I'm having trouble posting a link so let me try again.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC62EA4555485F7A1

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga