• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: silver star canada

sperks

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi this is my first posting I am from Australia and have booked to go to Silver star for 10 days in February am very excited I ski on Rossignol Attraction 6 skis here in Aus and plan on taking them looking forward to hearing any comments or advice re the resort.

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
Rossi Attraxions will be perfect.
Paradise Camp for lunch, Bugaboos in the afternoon.
That covers the fundamentals for us Australians.
Guess you have your accommodation, shuttles etc sorted already - any more specific questions? Ski school? Travelling with kids?
One of the best tips if you will not know anybody there is to go out with the resort guides (free) on your first day - they will show you around the mountain for 3 hours (blues not blacks) and are really friendly and give you cards at the end which give you discounts on lessons. In turn, the ski instructors give you cards for discounts on purchases (clothing, equipment etc) at Skidazzle.
Look at the Silver Star website as it is information rich and the webcams quickly become compulsory daily viewing!
Could go on, tell us some more about what you hope to do so we can be helpful. You will have a fabulous time!
ps Welcome!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I skied Silver Star on my Rossi Attraxion VI a couple of years ago and they were great.

A must to try are the cinnamon buns in the restaurant at the top of the lift on the back side (forget the name of the restaurant and the name of the lift).

Don't forget that if you have tickets/pass to SS, you can also ski at its sister resort, Big White. I'd definitely recommend spending some time at the latter.

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
That's Paradise Camp! Top of the Powder Gulch Express, or ski down from the Comet 6-pack using Bergerstrasse.

Catch an inter-resort shuttle to get over to Big White.

Bing

Angel Diva
Paradise Camp is the place with the awesome cinnamon buns. They also have a cat ride up the mountain to swishy dining at Paradise Camp in the evening - that was a fun thing to do.

The Bull Dog Cafe had good lunches.

Overall I didn't find the village at Silverstar very good - it is mostly corporate owned & closes early. I also found the staff rude and unhelpful in the village - something I was not used to in BC's interior.

The snow & skiing however is fantastic - I'm sure you'll have a great time !

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Silver Star is great. Are you going with Ski Adventure Canada? I believe that's the tour that most Aussies do? It's great. I taught there for a season almost ten years ago and loved every minute of it. I went back the following year as well. My dad and stepmother visited me while I was there and they loved it so much that they now spend their winters there. I know a few other couples from Ontario (where I live) who are now living there in the winter.

It's also got one of the best ski schools in the country. They have a lot of CSIA level 4 skiers there, and they're all really nice, friendly and happy. Maybe because of where they live!

It's definitely not an action-filled village, but that's fine by me as I go on ski vacays to ski. But I certainly appreciate that others want the full ski + apres-ski experience, which may be a bit lacking at SS.

On the flipside, if you're travelling in a group, it's awesome as SS seems to have a higher % of people staying in the many great condos vs in the hotel rooms, and most of the condos have their own hot tub on the deck and are fully equipped with all you'd want.

Maybe that's changed recently though as I know there's been lots of development.

Back when I was there, there was also a great coffee shop and bakery in the village that had the most amazing apple strudel. That's where all the ski instructors go between our morning session and the first round of group lessons. Then the part-timers and retired folks hang out for a second cup.

The conditions are pretty great too - pretty good snow, lots of sunshine, and nice warm weather.

Now I'm feeling a bit jealous!

Elsbeth

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The cafe on the ground floor of the Lord Aberdeen hotel was the first place we managed to find a decent coffee in Canada (to be fair we hadn't yet made it to Vancouver), and they even knew what a flat white was! Poutine at the Bulldog Cafe was good (fries with satay-type sauce -- yum). Had a nice convenient apartment in Lord Aberdeen, and could pop home for cheap home-made lunch! We didn't get any fresh powder, so had to contend with plenty of hard-pack and some truly monstrous moguls, all over the field, so carving-oriented all-mountain skis were just the ticket. Avoid the crowds by going over to Putnam Creek. Had great fun exploring, and scaring ourselves silly on aforementioned double-black mogully runs. Kids had fun night skiing on Friday (I think?) night. Beware the central pole when sitting down on the old double chairlift beside the village.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga