• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Side Foot Pain from Boot

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiing this season in new boots, I've had foot pain on the outside of the left foot only. Around two in the afternoon or earlier if there was a lot of time standing in line, the pain would prevent me from skiing because I couldn't put pressure on the side of the foot. I've discovered that even when I am not skiing the foot hurts every morning and is hard to put pressure on without shoes. Has anyone ever experienced side foot pain that feels like the toes are having the life squeezed out of them? Does anyone have any advice? It is making me sad because I like to ski all day!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Advice: go see a professional.

Where did you get the boots? Do you have footbeds? Are they new, or the ones from your old boots?

Sorry to hear, sore feet suck.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
can you describe more exactly where you experience the pain? Is it on the side of the bottom of the foot, on the sole, where you actually standing on it? or it it truly on the side, like on the edge of the toes and the lateral edge of your foot? Does it get better after you have walked for awhile each day?
What have you tried, and has anything helped? How long have you had the problem, and what has made it worse, short term?

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I know exactly what you mean! I too used to get this pain in my old boots. Do you have wide feet?? I find that if I wear boots that are too narrow it can cause this.

ALSO, try loosening the second buckle on your boot, the one on top of your foot. It can cause the widest part of your foot to be squeezed and literally cramped.

If your boots are new, certainly having a pro fit you properly will help, and then it's a matter of breaking the boots in and tweaking your buckle tightness 'til you find the right combo.

Please let me know if that helps at all!!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it's on an area of the foot that contacts the shell of the boot, (vs. the bottom) you might just need a simple "punch" or "stretch" of the boot in that area to allow more room for your foot in that specific area. Definitely something a good boot fitter can assess. Are the boots otherwise great with that one exception?

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all your suggestions. What makes me feel desperate about this situation is that I have been to two reputable boot fitters several times and I did get custom footbeds. My left foot is a little wide but not radically different from the right foot. Yes the boots are great except for that one exception on the left. I have skied a few days in a row with no problem but on my last day I took some aggressive turns in slushy snow and OUCH. The side and toes had shooting pain that hurt my stomach. Stopped skiing at 2 pm. My feet are bruised on the top and tingling which the foot ortho said was due to swelling. I usually ski with the boots buckled loose because I am worried about this happening. I am wondering if I should just ditch the boots or invest more in boot fitting and hope for the best. I guess I am luck that I don't have two left feet.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're right to be worried. You shouldn't be skiing in pain or risk doing permanent damage to your foot.

Have you gone back to tell the bootfitter(s) about this? If you have and they said to just deal with it, their reputation is irrelevant; they're not doing their job. But if you haven't gone back you should do so and let them work on the boots. I'd say that if they sold and fitted the boots they should work on tweaking them for free. Sometimes it can take a multiple visits to get them right, but it's worth it if it works. So long as the boot basically fits, boot fitters can do amazing things--punch out the shell, pad things that need padding, etc.

I've lived with bad boot fit for almost two seasons now, and after finally following the advice I've gotten here I regret having put up with either incompetent or uncaring fitters at the shop where I bought the boots. I'm about to get a consultation from another guy recommended by a diva, because I'm at the point where I suspect the boots are just wrong for me and am ready to save up my pennies for new boots if necessary. I mean, I'd be better off in rentals than these things. I may go back to the shop that sold me the boots and get them to either refund some of the $800 I paid for the boots and fitting or give me a partial store credit so I can buy some skis from them, but otherwise I'm done with them.

Oops--I promised myself to stop ranting! Let's just say I'm excited about going to see Earl tomorrow!

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Litterbug, thank you for your insight. What kind of boots do you have? I visited the boot fitter almost everyday that I went skiing and each boot fitter was responsive. I always entered the shop despondent and had hope when I left the shop. Later in the afternoon my feet would start to hurt again. They are now purple on the outside rim. Where does Earl work? Maybe I should visit him too.

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On another side note.... My feet too tend to get sore more often on days when I'm turning more often or aggressively, your feet have to do more work those days. Obviously, excruciating pain is not acceptable, but days like that will certainly cause some discomfort more than usual.

Also, I agree with Litterbug that the fitters need to fix the problem... and you should not have to ski with your boots loose, which will certainly make your feet work more AND puts you at risk for an ankle injury. If need be, unbuckle them on the lift & re-buckle when you get to the top, but I highly discourage skiing with your boots loose!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Litterbug, thank you for your insight. What kind of boots do you have? I visited the boot fitter almost everyday that I went skiing and each boot fitter was responsive. I always entered the shop despondent and had hope when I left the shop. Later in the afternoon my feet would start to hurt again. They are now purple on the outside rim. Where does Earl work? Maybe I should visit him too.
He's at the Sport Loft, which is somewhere in Murray, can't remember the address right now. When I called I said that I'd pay him for a consultation and he said he'd look at them first to see if I even needed one. I'm going there later this morning.

I've got Rossignol Sensor3 boots. I just wish I'd spent time here before i bought!

I know what you mean by being despondent and leaving hopeful, and it's too bad they can't help. It certainly seems like they've had plenty of opportunities to try!

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok I also have Rossignol boots and they may well be the Sensor but I am not sure. They were last season demo boots but barely demoed. I did demo them but I would not be able to tell at that time that I have this side pain problem because it was just a bit of a toe squeeze issue. Tell me what Earl has to say. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna