• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Should we pass on 7 Springs Season Passes next year ?

eSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
PA Diva's we had 7 springs season passes last year we definitely used them.
But given all of the very bad reviews I've seen lately of the resort on Facebook and onthesnow.com I'm wondering if we are going to a familiar place out of habit and should maybe start looking around because their are places better, cheaper etc.

We've only been skiing for a few years so I don't have lot of experience at other similar resorts.

So, I guess what I'm really asking is does 7Springs really suck as bad as the reviews would make you think?

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I cannot speak to Seven Springs but I can share my experience. DH and I have had season passes to Blue Mountain in the Poconos the past 2 years in addition to a locker to keep our skis. We have skied there almost every weekend and were starting to want to try other places to challenge ourselves with terrain we didn't have memorized. However, we felt like it was wasting money going elsewhere since we knew that meant not hitting the break even point on the passes. Going other places also was a pain since we would need to plan ahead and bring our skis home. For next year we decided to put aside the same amount of money to ski other places. We will miss being able to keep our skis at the mountain but will be able to try other places.

I would say it is worth checking out other ski resorts just to know for sure.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The question is not what others think of the hill, but do -you- like it? My hill gets some flack too, but it is close to my house, I like knowing the best place to park, and being able to just boot up and ski- no lines buying tickets first. I also like knowing the lifties, etc. Sometimes it is nice knowing the terrain to be able to isolate a skill to work on, knowing I don't have to think about the terrain as much. And I hope that they are listening to members and trying to make some improvements where needed. Yes, I do try to get to a few other hills during the season, and I want to work on being comfortable on new hills, not forgetting what I do at home and just ski like I know I should be able to. If there are other places at a similar distance, sure, try them out, compare, and see if one feels more like home than the others. For our away ski days, it takes just about as long to drive to Blue Mountain as it does to Moonstone. Most people I know go to Blue since it is bigger, has night skiing, and a "village". DD1, DD2 and I all agree that we like Moonstone better. Just saying, try places out, judge for yourself, not just by online reviews.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Don't know what the driving time is for you to 7Springs, but since you are in DC, I think you should check out Massanutten. With younger kids who can ski Mid-Atlantic blacks, there is no better place in VA to avoid lift lines on weekends. There is enough terrain for skiing fun and progression to being an advanced skier, but it's small enough to allow kids to ski with a friend and no adult without worry. Plus there are plenty of other things to do if the skiing is only so-so.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Try Timberline in WV. It is about the same driving distance from D.C. As 7 Springs, but has more challenging terrain and is cheaper. Canaan Valley is right down the road. It is more mellow than Timberline, but is also inexpensive. Neither resort is fancy and the lifts are old. Both get a decent amount of natural snow and are family friendly. For some good info on Mid-Atlantic resorts try www.dcski.com.

And if all you want is a day trip, there's always Liberty or Whitetail!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think Blue Knob is about 3 hours from DC. Not sure you are ready for the tree runs yet. I liked the local vibe a lot.

I stayed at Mnut for the first three seasons when my daughter was learning to ski. Since she could handle the blacks there by age 7, we explored the other ski areas within reasonable driving distance. After a couple seasons, I could make a more informed decision about where to get a season pass.

eSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you Diva's - as always.
We decided that we aren't getting season passes next year. We are going to ski all over the area and see what we fall in love with.

We like 7 Springs because its like a comfortable pair of shoes. We know where everything is we know our way around, and we can work on skills and conditions without the distraction of trying to figure out where you are going.

But I think its time to try something new.

(Now if someone would build a 4 lane highway from here to snowshoe we would buy passes their without a second thought)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you Diva's - as always.
We decided that we aren't getting season passes next year. We are going to ski all over the area and see what we fall in love with.

We like 7 Springs because its like a comfortable pair of shoes. We know where everything is we know our way around, and we can work on skills and conditions without the distraction of trying to figure out where you are going.

But I think its time to try something new.

(Now if someone would build a 4 lane highway from here to snowshoe we would buy passes their without a second thought)
Be happy to show you around Massanutten some time. The main advantage is that I think you two are quite capable of skiing off Lift 6, which never has a lift line, even on holiday weekends. Although Mnut has fewer skiable acres, the vertical is a bit more than Seven Springs. For the two Lift 6 black runs, the vertical is about 850 feet. Overall, about 1100 vertical.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga