• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shorter Poles

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks! I'll check that out today. Yesterday felt much better. Think I really noticed difference when skating on flats or just moving along in lift lines.
I did notice the swing action felt good barely touching the snow. Isn't that crazy I've been measured for poles incorrectly all these years? And btw, I have a long torso and short legs... Unrelated, or maybe not, a skier in line yesterday complimented me on my skiing..
Thank you for your suggestions...
Don't know for sure, but I don't think my poles were the wrong length when I bought them . . . back in the early 1980s when I bought my first skis. Got a pair of basic straight skis for a intermediate when skiing again in NC after 10 years. I never got past stem turns during the two seasons I skied in middle school. The changes in ski design after the 1990s mean that some tweaks in technique help make better use of the side cut. I think that has an impact on pole length.

One of the things my ski buddy Bill learned on the first day the Taos Ski Week last year (first time for him) was that he was aiming his pole tips at the wrong place for good bump skiing. He was skiing bumps on Bell Mountain at Aspen in high school back in the 1960s. I have no doubt he was a good bump skier on straight skis. He looked good to me in recent years in all sorts of challenging terrain. But after two days learning from a Taos instructor, he looked noticeably smoother on steep bump runs. And it stuck. He was smoother off-piste at Alta a couple months later. So it is possible for an old dog to learn new tricks. :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks @marzNC . Skiing now and will look later. Practicing all the suggestions!My next trip in two weeks will have lessons. New tricks for me!

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can someone illuminate me about the (seemingly) new interest in bamboo poles?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

They're light, strong, and sustainable, which seems to appeal to a lot of people. Plus, there's the cool factor. :smile:

In 2011, I did an interview for my blog with one of the co-founders of Soul Poles, a company founded by US Ski Team Members and World Cup Racers Bryon Friedman and Erik Schlopy that makes bamboo poles. You can read it here. It might answer some of your questions.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Comments on ski forums made it easier to get started in the last decade without much of a marketing budget. The companies are American and all based in the Rockies so see a lot more bamboo poles in the west.

I checked out the Grass Sticks (Steamboat) that @santacruz skier bought when I was at the Boston Ski Expo. They are very lightweight. Bamboo is naturally strong and flexible so less like to snap when stressed. I remember my ski buddy bending a metal pole when it got stuck in some rocks at Big Sky. The rep bent a Grass Stick more than that and it could spring back.

The other bamboo pole company is Panda Poles is in Pocatello, ID.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
This PSIA video is about hand position, not pole touch per say. But watch how the poles get used when the hands are in the wrong place and when the proper hand position is being demonstrated together with a pole swing and pole touch.

Lol. Love the funny arm position demos. But - for me, his poles are still too long! See how he has to swing them out wide and cock his elbow to get his hand high enough for the pole touch? And we aren't even talking steeps or bumps or moments where he might be in a more flexed body position.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier glad your getting some fresh :smile:

So DH has been watching some threads about "new" gear, heard him laughing at this..... seems everyone needs poles....

gotta admit he rips and I love that he needs two different sizes

And the Black Crows loved the new freshies. Very different feel than the Sambas. Took me a few runs to ease back and not "work" so hard. I do love the sambas. Skied 5 in a row but today had to bring out the BC's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna