• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Self-indulgent whine

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Easy peasy solution to this problem. Mr. S. got whacked with it on his first day out XC skiing this year, had major evil blisters on both heels and had a cracked callous too. He was miserable.

Solution is moleskin. Once your blisters heal up enough to make you think it might ever be a good idea to put the boots on again, you can put bandaids over them (unless you have good skin all the way across) and then slap a patch of moleskin over the top. Now you know EXACTLY where the problem zone is, just put moleskin on those spots before you go out. Blisters get protected while they're healing, and if you keep using moleskin there, you won't get new ones while your skin gets used to the pressure from the boots.

Can get the stuff from any shop that sells bandaids, first-aid supplies, etc. Dr. Scholl's sells it by the roll. You just cut off patches in the desired size and stick them on. A roll lasts for a good long while, too. They sell it by the patch, but I think for this situation, the roll would be a better deal.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Easy peasy solution to this problem. Mr. S. got whacked with it on his first day out XC skiing this year, had major evil blisters on both heels and had a cracked callous too. He was miserable.

Solution is moleskin. Once your blisters heal up enough to make you think it might ever be a good idea to put the boots on again, you can put bandaids over them (unless you have good skin all the way across) and then slap a patch of moleskin over the top. Now you know EXACTLY where the problem zone is, just put moleskin on those spots before you go out. Blisters get protected while they're healing, and if you keep using moleskin there, you won't get new ones while your skin gets used to the pressure from the boots.

Can get the stuff from any shop that sells bandaids, first-aid supplies, etc. Dr. Scholl's sells it by the roll. You just cut off patches in the desired size and stick them on. A roll lasts for a good long while, too. They sell it by the patch, but I think for this situation, the roll would be a better deal.
This.

My son learned this in Scouting, since hiking is one option among the "required" merit badges for Eagle Scout (he is an Eagle Scout, Silver Palm). I keep moleskin and bandaids in all my backpacks & boot bags as a result, and I've been VERY glad to have them.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A warning about covering a blister with a bandage and then moleskin: change the dressing at least twice a day. I covered up a blister this way on a hiking trip and decided to leave it that way rather than disturb the unbroken blister. By the time I got home three days later it was inflamed and refused to heal when I opened it to clean and drain it, and three days after that I was at a clinic at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon getting antibiotics for blood poisoning instead of hiking down to spend a night at Bright Angel Campground with my buddies.

One trick I was taught later was to cut a hole the size of the unbroken blister in a piece of moleskin to take pressure off of it. I've sometimes used two layers of moleskin for this. It doesn't work on all blisters, but I've had some success with it.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for that clarification, litterbug. Did not even occur to me that someone might not be changing the dressings. What a lousy way to spend a day at the Grand Canyon!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for that clarification, litterbug. Did not even occur to me that someone might not be changing the dressings. What a lousy way to spend a day at the Grand Canyon!
Actually it was two days, but despite the disappointment they were two wonderful days. We'd had lots of monsoon rain (those intense daily afternoon desert storms), everything that could bloom was flowering madly, and the whole south rim smelled of cliffrose and wet pinyon pine. I spent my time wandering around the PJ forest and taking abstract looking closeups of pebbles and roots and juniper berries. The high desert in midsummer can be such a magical place.

RuthB

Angel Diva
I meant more taping technique. :smile:

And my feet just blister very easily in virtually every kind of footwear that you can imagine until it's broken in or my feet have adjusted. Well, and my hands too, from biking, lifting weights, raking leaves... It's annoying.

Me too, and some things like flip flops (or jandals as we call them), crocs etc I can't wear at all. It seems to be hereditary, DS is the same

altagirl

Staff member
Me too, and some things like flip flops (or jandals as we call them), crocs etc I can't wear at all. It seems to be hereditary, DS is the same
Yeah - I can't do those plastic thong style flip flops at all - that never stops creating blisters. And I've never even tried crocks - they look like something that wouldn't work on my feet! Hah, like the "jellies" that were popular when I was a kid - my feet were a blistered mess wearing those but they were "cool" so I couldn't resist. Though with so many hot spots my feet never adapted to those.

I have Chacos that I've owned for 5+ years now and wear them frequently all summer. But without fail, the first time I wear them every year I have blisters on the sides of my toes. I just have to wear sandals with a different strap pattern until those heal and then I'm good for the season. Haha, basically, I have to own a pile of sandals with various strap patterns to deal with spring...

altagirl

Staff member
VICTORY!

I speed skated for the first time in like 4+ years and NO BLISTERS!

Woohoo!

(You'd think the $700+ custom boots should always be blister free, but I remember dealing with plenty of them around my upper ankles near the cuff/tongue in years past).

Hah, of course I did absolutely nothing. No socks, no tape, no anything so repeating this feat will just require proper alignment of the moon or something.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Because of a history of serious ankle sprains where the swelling never goes down anymore, my ski boots always give me blisters just below the inside of one ankle. No boot work has solved this as the skin is very thin on this spot. Before all ski days I paint this area twice with a little bit of liquid bandage and then put a Band-Aid brand blister (ampoules) bandage over this spot. If I miss this a single day, I will live to regret it!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I have very low-volume, narrow, bony feet and pretty much nothing in the tech boot category fits off the shelf, so I have a TERRIBLE history with blisters. They are awful. People don't understand how much, until they have ripped a heel to shreds backpacking or snowshoeing or what have you and then have to put those same boots back on the next day. Ouch. Hope yours are better!

So when I discovered this product I was thrilled. Have never had a blister in any spot when this is properly applied to my boots. (You affix it to your shoes, not your skin.) I cannot recommend it enough for skiers, hikers, etc. I keep trying to get local shops to carry it, but for now I order online and get more every time I but a new pair of stiff boots. I even used it to break in my field boots for riding horses.
https://www.goengo.com

I seriously have tried everything (I am an expert at moleskin donuts and applying second skin burn blisters), but this is the best, as it prevents the blisters in the first place.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Oh, that sounds great, mollmeister! Thanks for sharing!
I have the ankle sprain issue, too, and I feel your pain. I am, in fact, nursing one now. Rolled it pretty badly (for the umpteenth time) out running a week before leaving for Aspen. Babied it, and then, when it fit in my ski boot, skied anyway. It's still bugging me more than two weeks later and I am wondering if I need to see the ortho. Dreading it, though. :frown: I fear bad news of the surgical kind.

(And I will say that the Intuition liners in my Full Tilt boots were a big help for my messed up ankles/feet.)

SkiingObsessed

Certified Ski Diva
Warning: Totally self-indulgent whine ahead.

So I went snowshoeing on Saturday in not-quite-broken-in hiking boots, and gave myself giant blisters on both heels. Then I went skiing yesterday despite this, and aggravated the blisters in my ski boots all day. Now I can barely walk.

Compared to some of the serious injuries you ladies have had to deal with, this is like complaining about a papercut, I know. But seriously, OW!

*World's smallest violin plays in the background*.

Haha I did that once too (warning..gross foot picture coming)
Both feel and heals looked like this but I still kept skiing.. I wish I could ski now, just posted bout my new tibial plateau fracture the other day :( I still cannnot believe Im have to miss the rest of this season and Im terrified after reading other stories if my knee will ever be the same! I hope it can! I cant wait till I can get started with PT, Im gonna do everything in my power to get ot back to normal!!!! I hope everyone who can has fun the rest of this season!! For now Im not allowed to weight bare for 10 weeks and already stir crazzzzzy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 10

SkiingObsessed

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, now those are blisters.

And so sorry to hear about your knee fracture! Yes, definitely do the PT; it can work wonders. Wishing you a speedy recovery so you can be back on the slopes before you know it.

Thanks! I wish I could just fast forward to next season now and be skiing again! I have never had a "bad" injury before so this has me so freaked out. I cant imagine not walking for sooo long, I can already see my leg getting smaller from not using it, but at the same time I know a lot of people have had it way worse than I do so I am very thankful it wasnt worse than it was!! For someone who has never really been hurt before tho to get sidelined for this long seems unreal.. Dr. Says 6 months to a year before it gets back to the way it used to be.. I just cant believe it. I wish I could know if its really gonna be ok

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Thanks! I wish I could just fast forward to next season now and be skiing again! I have never had a "bad" injury before so this has me so freaked out. I cant imagine not walking for sooo long, I can already see my leg getting smaller from not using it, but at the same time I know a lot of people have had it way worse than I do so I am very thankful it wasnt worse than it was!! For someone who has never really been hurt before tho to get sidelined for this long seems unreal.. Dr. Says 6 months to a year before it gets back to the way it used to be.. I just cant believe it. I wish I could know if its really gonna be ok

Sad tale for someone who goes by the name of Skiing Obsessed. My instructor at Cataloochee had that same injury Thanksgiving weekend and she is "ahead" on the recovery because of P/T+; She can walk without the crutches now short distances, but is also "strolling" walks with crutches assisting to ease into more weight bearing

Anyway, I'm sending lots of healing thought and wishes!!!

SkiingObsessed

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! Thats awesome about your instructor!!! NOT awesome that she got hurt but way awesome that shes ahead of scjedule with PT! Do you by chance know what "type" of fracture hers was or how deep the joint depression or whether or not she had surgery for it? (Sorry for all the questions Im not meaning to be a bother, just very interested in seeing if it is similar to mine knowing how it turns out) :smile:

Sad tale for someone who goes by the name of Skiing Obsessed. My instructor at Cataloochee had that same injury Thanksgiving weekend and she is "ahead" on the recovery because of P/T+; She can walk without the crutches now short distances, but is also "strolling" walks with crutches assisting to ease into more weight bearing

Anyway, I'm sending lots of healing thought and wishes!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga