• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon Rockette 90 - I'm in love

eSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so in love with these skiis! This is my first pair of skis (non leased) and I'm in love. These skiis are so much fun and light!
I was afraid they would be to wide for mid atlantic - ice to mashed potato conditions but they were great. I was searching for crud for them to float across.
Knowing I could handle the crud and slush gave me the confidence to do my first double black today. My DS (8yr) even noticed I wasn't going as slow as usual.

vetski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Isn't it awesome to find that perfect ski? Congrats and enjoy them!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^ Agree! Both in my "Top 5" list for the year!

newskimama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So glad you enjoy them! I just picked mine up last Thursday. They like crud! I haven't had them in mashed potatoes yet, but I think that is what we will have later this week. Mine have had 3 outings and they have yet to find a condition they don't enjoy.

Oh, and they love bumps :smile:

newskimama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and my gear guru friend has dubbed it the "Chick Rocket." I love it.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Loved this ski - and only hope it's just a name change for next year!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's strange they are changing the name after only 1 year. Wonder if it caused too much confusion with the Rocker 2? Is the Rocker 2 back next year?

I was disappointed the rep at the demo day I went to didn't have the Rockette available to demo.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes they are doing a rocker 2 next year. They are also keeping the Rockette but in 115 only. I love my Rockettes. I demoed a pair of "carving skis" yesterday to match the hard pack conditions, and I couldn't wait to give them back. The rockettes are more fun, even on ice.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
That's strange they are changing the name after only 1 year. Wonder if it caused too much confusion with the Rocker 2? Is the Rocker 2 back next year?
Discussed in another thread. Rockette 90 becomes "Lux?" A wider model is "Lumen?" Indeed, these model name changes are seemingly coming faster and more furious in recent years -- which seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me? Let a model get a following first! Which this one certainly seems to have done.

Dynastar has done the same with Idyll and Eden! Those model names have only been around 2, maybe 3, seasons - but were re-tooled from the previous models, so justifiable? Next year, no changes but the name (per the rep I talked to last Friday). He says things are changing fast in the head-to-head model competition in recent years between brands.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I agree, this is getting ridiculous! Looks like the Rockette 90 is now the Lux 87, while the new Lumen 96 is closer to the Rockette 92. In the middle somewhere is the Remix 91, and I'm not sure what that replaces -- the Quests seem to replace some of the Rockers. You've got to hand it to Volkl and Blizzard for having some continuity in their lines.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really wish they'd stop with all the name changes, unless they just completely redesign a ski, and in that case... fine, rename it.

I still can't figure out Volkl new frontside/carver line and how it compares to the older line as far as equivalents. :confused:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
As mentioned above, Volkl just changed all the monikers for their women’s recreational line, correct? The whole Charisma/Chiara/etc thing? After years of Luna, Sol, etc. One of the longest-lived that I recall was K2's T-9 “Luv” series (which became “super”). This was the first ski manufacturer to actually offer women-specific choices in ski performance levels. It did well.

Dynastar’s Exclusive Legend, its first women-specific all-mountain ski, was marketed under this name from 2005-2011, when it was re-tooled and renamed Idyll. Its wider variant, Exclusive Legend Powder, went unchanged from 2007-2011 (becoming Eden).

So there is some continuity, model-name-wise, in some brands beyond those mentioned.

But I agree that they are being a bit “schizo” lately! Brand/model recognition is pretty important in ANY product. I mean, is there any doubt in your mind what a Ford F150 is?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think they actually changed up the Volkl skis though, and not just the names? I thought they got a bit wider, and there seems to be a different number of skis and some overlap in the new line as far as ability levels, but different waist widths? That probably sounds like a lot of rambling (lol)... but that's how much I didn't get the changes Volkl made. :smile: Like I have no clue what the new Luna is, for example. Not that it matters, but the old line was so ingrained in my brain as a point of reference. Probably because they left it unchanged for so many years, it had time to become ingrained.

eSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, this is getting ridiculous! Looks like the Rockette 90 is now the Lux 87, while the new Lumen 96 is closer to the Rockette 92. In the middle somewhere is the Remix 91, and I'm not sure what that replaces --

So the Rockette 90 is now the Lux 87 but its still 88 underfoot? Do these numbers have actual meaning or are they model numbers?

mustski

Angel Diva
Name changes drive me crazy! I have to start every season feeling stupid like I know nothing?

Congrats on the new skis. That is always a great feeling - love at first slide!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
From what I understand the full model name is the Q-88 Lux (part of the new Quest series), at 87 underfoot -- unless it's a typo here: https://www.newschoolers.com/readnews/42676/SIA---Salomon?c=4&o=2

The Lumen looks like it may be a slightly wider version of the Rockette 92, at 96 underfoot.
Great link, thanks for posting. Some good pics of other brands and lines available as well, but here's the Salomon:
Q-103 Stella (130-103-122), Q-96 Lumen (131-96-117), Q-88 Lux (130-87-115)
index.php

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga