• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon Kiana Skis (2017) + Lithium 10 Bindings

LindySki

Diva in Training
Trying to upgrade my gear. I recently took the plunge with some Salomon Kiana Skis (2017) + Lithium 10 Bindings. I've been skiing a long time and would consider myself an intermediate skier. Has anyone tried these skis or have other feedback on them? More specifically, I struggle with the vibration of skis. How are these with regards to that?

Jilly

Staff member
A little more info. What length did you get and how tall and how much do you weight. Meanwhile I'll dig through my old Salomon stuff.

And pictures....just to see how the skis look.

Jilly

Staff member
The Kiana is a beginner skis.....it's going to be too soft, unless you weigh 70lbs. They are a 2016 skis, so the binding might be an issue too.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trying to upgrade my gear. I recently took the plunge with some Salomon Kiana Skis (2017) + Lithium 10 Bindings. I've been skiing a long time and would consider myself an intermediate skier. Has anyone tried these skis or have other feedback on them? More specifically, I struggle with the vibration of skis. How are these with regards to that?
If you prefer a "damper" ski (less vibration from the piste) you are probably better looking at the more intermediate-advanced offerings, most beginner "easy turning" skis are also soft. I really don't think those skis will be good for your preferences unless you are very light.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I googled it and yes as @Jilly says it is more of a beginners ski but in saying that I went back to a beginners ski this last season (K2 Mindbender 85) for rehab reasons and was very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. I'm only a lightweight around 165cm and 57 kilos and combine that with an injury it was perfect for me at the time but I'll probably be looking for something a teeny bit wider and stiffer next season now that I'm getting stronger again.

If you can give more info as to where you ski and what type of terrain you like as well as height weight etc you'll get heaps of advice xx

LindySki

Diva in Training
Here's what the skis look like and the length I got was 151 cm. They are used so incredible cheap. I am 5'1" and 175 lbs (so not a lightweight any more- LOL). Although located in the Rockies, I stay on the green groomers for now.

Additionally, I should note my current set are classic straight skis from the 80's (Fischer RCAs, 160 cm with Marker bindings). Generally, I am happy enough with them but concerned about the age of the bindings. My backup plan for these Kianas is to scavenge the bindings off of them if I don't like how they ski. Finding new bindings for my old skis has been difficult. Back in the day, when the skis were new and I was 100 lbs, I would do blues, some black diamonds, off trail skiing and an occasional mogul field.

I have significant (congenital) issues with my lower legs (i.e., extremely limited ankle motion, very small calf muscle mass/poor tone). Although, I have tried many times throughout the decades, I struggle with modern skis. I can barely get off of the lift without falling and struggle to get down the practice hill. My best guess is classic skis use the whole leg and the modern skis rely mostly on the calf. No matter though, I can't help but wonder if there is something that will work for me out there.

1699219572879.png

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you had a lesson on shaped ski's ?
I only ask as its a totally different way of skiing and so much easier x

LindySki

Diva in Training
I am keenly interested in understanding how it is a totally different way of skiing. Will you describe the differences? I think it would help me a lot!

I am open to taking a lesson but I can't really even get off of the lift. On my classic skis I pop right off and turn as soon as I can. On shaped skis, I feel like a pickup driving on railroad ties and can't turn at all. I go straight until the upslope helps me stop and then I lift my legs up one by one so each ski is out of the snow to turn them.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am keenly interested in understanding how it is a totally different way of skiing. Will you describe the differences? I think it would help me a lot!

I am open to taking a lesson but I can't really even get off of the lift. On my classic skis I pop right off and turn as soon as I can. On shaped skis, I feel like a pickup driving on railroad ties and can't turn at all. I go straight until the upslope helps me stop and then I lift my legs up one by one so each ski is out of the snow to turn them.
Would you be willing to totally relearn how to ski? Absolute beginner packages tend to be quite cheap - and if you can’t get off the chair safely, it sounds like it might be better to start from a blank slate and tell yourself you’re learning a totally new sport, rather than changing something you’ve done for a long time. The learning process should help wake up & switch on specific muscles.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'll leave this to one of the following amazing Diva's @liquidfeet @Jilly @snoWYmonkey or any of the other super knowledgeable instructors x

Jilly

Staff member
Just like you get off the chair lift with straight skis, make sure your skis are flat. I think a lesson would be a good idea.

FWIW - I got my instructor cert on straight skis. I had to not only learn to ski the shaped, but teach as well.

So a couple of things stand out:
1. relying on the calf. Ah, no shouldn't be. If you calves are hurting, then you're too far forward. Which could add to the chatter too. Shaped skis rely on a centred stance. All you need to do is tip the ski from the centre. Weight goes through the arch.
2. And vibration could be the above, or too short a ski, or too soft a ski.
3. Old school - relied on an up and down motion to unweight the ski. You don't need this with the shaped ski. As the saying goes...tip em and rip em. Well it's not quite that simple, but...If you're unweighting a shaped ski, then they will turn super fast and maybe put you in the woods...(happen to DH he's first time out)

I'm concerned that this Kiara ski will be too soft and not help you improve. As for just taking the binding off....some of the new bindings are too wide to fit on the old skis. And some skis have a "system" binding that can't come off. I don't think this Salomon does.

A point, it's not just the bindings to be worried about the the ski itself. What else do you have around that is from the 1980's that is still functionable. Not much, maybe some vinyl records?

And another obvious question - how old are your boots?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everything @Jilly stated is spot on. I suspect that your old ski and possibly old boot combo work well together but maybe less so with the new skis.

I am worried that you might be able to overflex them and that they don't provide you with much stability which then has to come from you lower legs which are as you mention already working overtime. If the boot is soft then the calves have to compensate some.

If you have a way of getting a video of what happens with the old versus new skis we may be able to understand better...though not always.

LindySki

Diva in Training
Just popping by for a quick update- Turns out one of the bindings is bad. Now, I get to learn about the company's return policy.

Thank you everyone for your input! I have found a company that rents out skis that I think I am interested in and will give them a go. In the meantime, I'll ask my general questions in a new post on the other forum. Happy Carving!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga