• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rossignol Temptation 88 vs 84?

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate gear research. Wading through all the marketing babbling isn't my cup of tea. Fortunately for me, I'm usually not very picky on gear, as long as I don't end up with something that's completely "wrong". So in that vein:

I've been meaning to update myself to a new skis in the 85 waist neighborhood, WITH ROCKER! I've tried a few different ones. They all ski just fine. Different compromise but all do what I want to do with them quite well. I'm going to just pull the trigger and get something. The Rossignol Temptation line made the finalist because I hear few complains. I figure if it pleases many and rarely disappoints, I'm reasonably confident I'll simply learn to enjoy it too.

Even the size doesn't matter much to me. I understand the compromise and either 84 or 88 waist will do for me. Except, the 84 comes with binding, presumably system bindings. While the 88 is sold flat. That gave me a quick pause. Could that be an indication they'll ski siginficantly differetly?

What may the rational be? And does it make one better choice over the other?

I would expect them to be very similar skis. OK, with ever so slightly different emphasis. According to Rossi's web site, these two have identical construction(?). So those of you who're more "in" ski tech, do you think it's just marketing? Or are there real reason for the differences? And if so, what would those difference be?

Thanks in advance to all your gearheads.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I like any Rossi I've tried so far. What region are you going to ski in most often? While a difference of 4 in width underfoot may not seem like much, it's going to make a difference in how the skis perform. I would think more difference than between difference lengths of the same ski.

As for whether or not a ski is sold with a system binding, probably has more to do with the target audience than how the ski performance. When I first bought skis as an improving intermediate, it was a lot easier to pick a model with a system binding because I didn't have to think about another item to research separately. I just bought Head Joy skis with a system binding. The advantage is that it would be easier to sell later on, if that's what I choose to do after a few seasons.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I haven't actually tried either of these skis, but where you hate gear research, I absolutely love it. So, after a short bit of research on these skis, they actually are constructed differently. The 88 has a poplar wood core with basalt fiber, whereas the 84 is a paulownia wood core with carbon fiber. Having these differences will make these two skis perform differently. I'm going to be honest though, I'm not really sure how differently. I'd be really interested to hear from someone who has skied them both and what the different types of cores can bring to the table that the other can't. Another thing I found interesting is that carbon fiber and paulownia wood is actually lighter materials, and seems to be better than what the 88 offers, yet the price tag doesn't really show that.

As for the system binding vs. flat mounts, there are pros and cons of both. System bindings are easier to set to your boots, or if you sell them no re-drilling is necessary to move them to adjust to someone else's boot. On the downside, your bindings are set to the ski, so you can't take them off and remount onto a different ski. So if you retire your ski, you're retiring the binding as well. Most systems lift you up off of the ski slightly, this makes turning on groomers easier. On the contrary, when you're flat mounted your movements translate to the ski better, making it easier to ski on variable terrain.

Another thing I noticed was that you can actually get the 84 in a flat mount as well, if that's what you prefer.

Sorry if this doesn't help you choose which better, but hopefully it gives you a bit more information to make a decision.

Jilly

Staff member
Basically the 84 is not a stiff as the 88. I have the 88's as my out west or eastern powder skis.

I have not had the opportunity to demo either of these but I think my home resort may have these for demo this coming season so I will hopefully get a chance to try them out.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the original Temptation 88's. They were my everyday ski. Very good on hard pack, great in bumps and trees. I did not like them in powder.

Last year Rossi changed the design and I had a chance to demo them. Compared to the original version they are a lot lighter in feel. The air core tip makes them very easy turners. I ranked them 5 on all attributes such as variety of turns, stability, forgiveness, grip, steeps/crud. In my notes I described them as smooth and elegant. I did not get to try them in powder. However, after demoing the Rossi Saffron 7 I viewed the Temptations as more of a front side ski, whereas, the Saffron felt more like a go anywhere, do anything ski.

One thing about the Temptation 88, and I assume the 84 as well, it has a deep side cut which may take some getting used to.

Other skis that are a good comparison to the 88 are the K2 Potion 90xTi (not as deep a side cut and last year's ski) and Nordica Wild Belles. Of the 3 the 88's were my favorite, Wild Belles, then the K2Potion.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks elemmac, that helps a lot in cutting through the marketing babble.

Intereting you mention how the two kinds of binding perform on snow. I currently have two pairs of skis. One with system binding and the other non-system. So I'm familiar with the off-snow difference they make, thogh not how they ski (because those were two very different skis, so I can't be sure how much of the difference were due to binding) Yes, I see them sold flat also.

One thing about the Temptation 88, and I assume the 84 as well, it has a deep side cut which may take some getting used to.
Trying to understand what that means in practical terms. Would that be a desirable character on a 1-ski quiver (carving on groomed runs)? Or is it on the extreme side that might be a handful in powder?

Last edited:

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
I demoed both skis back to back last year. I'm a 5'4", 150lb. fairly aggressive skier and I thought the 88 felt a lot like the volkl kenja, if you've ever skied that. It was stiff, felt solid and I could ski it fast on the groomers. I didn't have an opportunity to take it off piste but I think it would be fine. The 84 is softer and it felt too soft for me. When I tried to get up to speed it just felt chattery and unstable.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed both skis back to back last year. I'm a 5'4", 150lb. fairly aggressive skier and I thought the 88 felt a lot like the volkl kenja, if you've ever skied that. It was stiff, felt solid and I could ski it fast on the groomers. I didn't have an opportunity to take it off piste but I think it would be fine. The 84 is softer and it felt too soft for me. When I tried to get up to speed it just felt chattery and unstable.
Thanks for the on-snow report!

I'm the same height but a lot lighter than you (120). What length did you demo?

I'm unsure of how to characterise my skiing. I'm not terribly aggressive, and do play in the bumps and trees often. But that doesn't mean I like soft noodles... with all these rockered skis, I really don't have a handle on how they translate to when they're on my feet. (confession, I demo'ed once, none of the rockered skis I tried felt all that great)

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
I'm the same height but a lot lighter than you (120). What length did you demo?
I don't remember the exact length but they were around 163 or 164. You may like the 84 due to your size and skiing style. Hard to say without a demo... Good luck!

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the original Temptation 88's. They were my everyday ski. Very good on hard pack, great in bumps and trees. I did not like them in powder.

Last year Rossi changed the design and I had a chance to demo them. Compared to the original version they are a lot lighter in feel. The air core tip makes them very easy turners. I ranked them 5 on all attributes such as variety of turns, stability, forgiveness, grip, steeps/crud. In my notes I described them as smooth and elegant. I did not get to try them in powder. However, after demoing the Rossi Saffron 7 I viewed the Temptations as more of a front side ski, whereas, the Saffron felt more like a go anywhere, do anything ski.

Other skis that are a good comparison to the 88 are the K2 Potion 90xTi (not as deep a side cut and last year's ski) and Nordica Wild Belles. Of the 3 the 88's were my favorite, Wild Belles, then the K2Potion.

I just bought the 88s as my resort skis based on the reviews I read and because I found a great deal on them. The 84s are described as 60% on trail, 40% off and the 88s as 50/50. I suspect the 88s might handle off piste conditions a bit better, given the extra width.

I am curious to see how they ski--they sound versatile enough that they will make a fun firm condition ski I can take in glades and bumps when conditions are more mixed. I have Voile Vectors as my BC and powder ski. Now, if we would just get some cold temps and snow!

marzNC

Angel Diva
For what it's worth, I've demo'd the Temptation 84 and liked them. I'm 5'0", 120 pounds, advanced. Skied on short groomers at Massanutten, also a couple runs at the Alta demo day in April. At Mnut I was on the 154cm. Can't remember the length at Alta but might have been longer, usually don't find much shorter than 159-162 at the Alta demo day. I'm not a hard charger, and prefer making turns to high speed most of the time. Have taken lesson to learn to enjoy bumps and soft snow in trees in recent years, at least when I'm out west and that's an option.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got on my new Rossi Temptation 88s yesterday and I LOVE them. They ski exactly as described, super stable, great on piste and handle ice and piles of slush and snow like a champ. I found I could just ski the mountain without thinking about the terrain--they handled the transition from snow pile to firm and ice without a hiccup. Where typically I would be watching our for icy patches to glide over so my tails wouldn't wash out--these skis just rode over everything. Very fun for tele and parallel turns. I was worried about the wide tips and deeper sidecut, but aside from a tiny adjustment in keeping a slightly wider stance, I really didn't notice it. I think the rocker and honeycomb tip (to make them a bit lighter and easier to initiate a turn, I believe) work well in combination with the heavier weight and ski construction.

These are my first non-tele specific ski--my other skis have tended to be softer. I've demoed other stiffer skis, but they always felt like planks that I had to put a lot of effort into--these were like dancing down the slope. What a revelation!

For anyone interested in the skis, I'm 5'5", 182, an "assertive" skier, I and got the 172s, which are perfect.

Jen T.

Certified Ski Diva
Can someone please tell me if there is a difference between the Rossi Temptation 88 HD's and the Rossi Experience 88 HD's? I know the Temptations are marketed for women but is there a big difference? Thanks!!

Jilly

Staff member
Don't know why, but the radius measure is different. The Temptation is 13M, the Experience is 16M. All I can think of is that the Experience used a longer ski, like a 180 to measure.

Other than that....cosmetic and lengths available. Personally I don't like the bubble gum colours of the ladies skis.

Jen T.

Certified Ski Diva
Don't know why, but the radius measure is different. The Temptation is 13M, the Experience is 16M. All I can think of is that the Experience used a longer ski, like a 180 to measure.

Other than that....cosmetic and lengths available. Personally I don't like the bubble gum colours of the ladies skis.

Thank you so much!! That is really helpful!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna