• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Rossignol S 110W (or S7) vs. Line Pandora for tele

michelleD

Diva in Training
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on skidiva! I am a telemark skier, 33 yo 5'8'', 150 lb 30-40 days/year skier. I mostly ski backcountry and sidecountry in VT, although I am going to spend next winter in Steamboat Springs. My husband and I decided I should buy some fat powder skis for next season, so here is the question:

I kind of narrowed it down to Rossignol S 110 W (or S7, which I guess is the same thing) or the Line Pandora. I'd like to hear experiences of these skis/ comparisons, or other suggestions if you have them. I am interested in something about 115 underfoot with a moderate side cut and rocker tip but traditional camber underfoot. I would like to still use these skis sometimes when I move back east, but they will be the powder ski. (I ski on G3 sirens currently.)

Thanks!!!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Between these two skis, I'd pick the Pandora, because its a rockered tip but not tail. I'd think that the fully rockered S7 or S110W would not be easy to keep balanced for tele.

Not that I'm a tele skier, just speaking from conversations I've had with friends who ski powder and tele.

YMMV

B-Tele

Certified Ski Diva
Disclaimer: I've never demoed either of these skis...

That being said, I'm a tele skier and had a couple thoughts. The S110s are a little lighter (good for touring) and have a smaller turn radius (I'm thinking quicker, nimble in trees--especially with the turned up tail). From what I remember when I oogled both of these at the store, the rossi might be a little softer in the tip, but overall I think the flex of both skis is similar. Both have camber underfoot, btw.

What bindings are you going to be mounting on these?

Another ski you might want to consider is the Voile Charger. It's light, has camber underfoot, early rise tip, 111mm waist. I have this as my powder ski (171 length), and it's a blast. I feel like anything much bigger at the waist, and I'd destroy in the inside edge of my skis because my stance is pretty tight. Of course, the difference between 111 and 115mm is minimal...

michelleD

Diva in Training
more thoughts

Thanks! It's funny, I actually started reading about the voile charger and now I'm more debating between that and the pandora. Saw the charger in the store, did not see the pandora. These are my thoughts, maybe you can shed some light based on your experience with the chargers-

Chargers are light, which I like because I tour a lot. right now I have G3 Sirens which are about as light as the Chargers and are great to tour with. I'd be sad to have a powder ski that I could not tour with, especially because that is where the powder is usually.

However, I do like a ski with a short turning radius, which Pandora has over the Charger. My husband's theory is that the added length/weight/width underfoot might also make better for resort skiing than the Charger. As I will be skiing a lot inbounds and sidecountry in Steamboat springs next winter, and this is kind of what the ski is for, he is voting for the Pandora.

I have voile switchback on my sirens and really like them, so am thinking about putting them on the next ski as well, especially if it's the charger.

I'd love to hear more of your experience with the charger, it could tip the scales in their favor :smile:

B-Tele

Certified Ski Diva
Whew...my head is swimming. I hope I can get my thoughts out in a reasonably methodical manner.

I'm assuming you're on the 166 Sirens. From what I've read about those, they are for the aggressive, intermediate/advanced skier. And would you go with the 172 Pandoras?

My normal resort ski is the Volkl Aura, which might be categorized similarly to the Siren...for the intermediate/advanced skier. My Auras are probably a bit stiffer than the Sirens, and are 94mm underfoot.

Regarding your husband's comment about the length/weight/width...would you be getting the 172 Pandoras or the 171 Chargers? Pretty identical length. Sidecut difference...115mm vs. 110mm. A difference of 5mm--only 2.5mm per side of your ski. Again, almost identical.

Now the weight thing, the Pandoras are about 5lb per ski, the Chargers are 4lb per ski. I'm torn as to how much this will make a difference at the resort. Because both have an early rise tip are are designed for powder, I'm wondering if both will feel equally surfy. The Pandoras, however, have the upper hand with the turn radius, I think due to the wider tail. This might make it feel a little more stable than the Chargers (and will turn faster for you).

With your bindings, I'd be more apt to go with the Chargers due to the lighter weight. However, it sounds as if the Pandoras might be a little closer to meeting what you're looking for because of the turn radius. I've found that the lighter weight of the ski helps me get my turns around faster (making up for the bigger turn radius?).

I have had a blast so far on the Chargers, they excel in powder and do very well in chop/crud. Groomers are fun, but that's not what either of these skis are designed for.

Not sure if I helped the cause at all, but I have no problem recommending the Chargers for the intermediate/advanced skier who prefers a stiffer ski. :thumbsup:

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm an alpine skier, but have skied the Rossis and the Pandoras. For touring and powder specific, I'd recommend the Pandoras. The Rossis are better in hard pack but that's not what you're buying them for. The Rossis ski so short that you'd want a longer ski than the Pandora equivalent which will have weight implications. Also the pandoras would likely be easier to put skins on.

These are - IMO - very different skis and it may come down to personal preference. The Rossis have a devoted following, so devoted I bought a pair without demoing and lived to regret it.

zoomchick

Certified Ski Diva
I was torn b/w those skis too and went with the Pandoras.
After all the research, it seemed they were the more powder specific ski.
I didn't want another all-mountain as I love my K2 Lotta Luvs.
I never thought I'd want to deal with more than one pair but after my quad-burning 3 days in fresh powder, I changed my mind.
I don't tele but spend alot of time in the trees and off piste.

If you are interested I saw a pair of the Rossis (168) on ebay for $540 used, as of yesterday.

michelleD

Diva in Training
went with the Rossis

Hi everyone,
thanks for your thoughts! After much self-debate I just purchased the roxy mumbo jumbo aka rossignol S7s etc....hopefully I will not live to regret it as Jerez did. I would have loved to do some demoing but there is not really any powder skis to demo on the east coast (even the shops stock mostly 90 mm underfoot max) and what is the point if it's not a powder day anyways? Instead of holding out to possibly demo one of the skis I thought I'd take advantage of some post-season sales and hope for the best! Most people seem to love those Rossis so much its hard to imagine not liking them....

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bet you'll be fine on the Roxy since it's the longer 176 length. Have fun!

Mango_teles

Diva in Training
MichelleD,
Have you skied on the s7 yet? I am 5'8 135 lb agressive telemarker and I really want to buy the new s7, but i can't find any to demo with tele bindings on em. Please let me know when you try them and what you think!
I live in colorado, so i get lots of powder days, but I've heard they're good in crud as well.
Please, please, please let me know what you think of them, I've had such a hard time finding a review of women teleing on this babies! Thanks!

josiegroper

Certified Ski Diva
I demoed the Rossi S110W's earlier this year. My prior ski was a Rossi Zenith which was great for groomers but rotted in powder and crud.

It was my first time floating in the powder and I would come out of the trees with that amazing happy grin. My ski buddy laughed at me and asked if I had an orgasm... and I looked back and told him multiple.. and that he was now basking in my afterglow! :D

As the day wore on and many places got skied out, I discovered the skis handled the crud beautifully as well as the groomers. It totally rots in hard pack though, but hopefully I won't be needing them for that!

At the end of the day I took them back and asked if they had any and they were sold out, I asked to buy the demo ski and they told me no. We called the store in the neighboring town and they agreed to sell me their demo of that model. I got the 159's, but I am less than 5' tall and it was all they had locally, and I needed them for the following day as well!

I hope you like yours!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm surprised anyone found any Rossi S7 shop demos this year, mostly because Demo's are used as tools to sell skis and most Rossi S7's have been sold out for a long time. Heck, our shop got the 2012 S7 in stock in January and sold out of it within a week.
Josiegroper, I'm betting that the shop that wouldn't sell you the demo ski already had it promised to someone who'd previously demo'd it. :(

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MichelleD,
Have you skied on the s7 yet? I am 5'8 135 lb agressive telemarker and I really want to buy the new s7, but i can't find any to demo with tele bindings on em. Please let me know when you try them and what you think!
I live in colorado, so i get lots of powder days, but I've heard they're good in crud as well.
Please, please, please let me know what you think of them, I've had such a hard time finding a review of women teleing on this babies! Thanks!

I sold my 176s to my sister-in-law, who is just your size. Very good tele skier. Initial reports are in: she loves them. I don't know anything else, though. (ie, where she skied, or skinned, conditions, etc.)

josiegroper

Certified Ski Diva
I'm surprised anyone found any Rossi S7 shop demos this year, mostly because Demo's are used as tools to sell skis and most Rossi S7's have been sold out for a long time. Heck, our shop got the 2012 S7 in stock in January and sold out of it within a week.
Josiegroper, I'm betting that the shop that wouldn't sell you the demo ski already had it promised to someone who'd previously demo'd it. :(

Actually I was bummed today as I found someone in the lift line with these skis and she was trying them out, but the place she rented them from only wanted $350 for them with bindings!! Lucky lady!

The store that refused the sale of them to me called about 2 weeks later and offered them with bindings for $100 more than their neighboring store wanted for them! I'm glad I didn't have to wait all that time to get them!

I am amazed at how many men I ride up with comment on these skis... must be the lady on them or something?? :laugh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga