• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rippin' Chix is Coming to Snowbasin!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here are the details! https://wildflowerretreats.com/?page_id=2370
I am going to ask if I can participate as a local who does not need lodging or meals, any of that stuff.

Being hosted by the same group of awesome women who host the Wildflower trailfest, which is the mountain bike race I participated in this summer. It's a local group who live in the same town as me.

If any of you sign up, let me know!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
YAY. They should have a package for locals. I know the Next Level Camp at Squaw set their packages up assuming everyone was local, and had an add on for lodging. Different vibe but similar.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
YAY. They should have a package for locals. I know the Next Level Camp at Squaw set their packages up assuming everyone was local, and had an add on for lodging. Different vibe but similar.
I'll have to ask, since Wildflower Outdoor is hosting it (yaay for my "neighbors" for starting such a fantastic group for active women here!)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Nice! The lodging look fabulous. Having a bunk room option is good. Since breakfast and dinner is included, it looks like no car is needed if you take a shuttle from the airport.

Hope Wildflower makes this an annual clinic. This year the dates conflict with the EpicSki Gathering at Aspen. It's a great alternative to the Alta Lodge women's clinics, which are a bit pricey.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I assume if it's Rippin Chix, Alison Gannett will be leading the charge - she brings a great energy to skiing. I did the Rippin Chix at Silverton twice. It was a less-scary way to approach Silverton.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's being led by Jen Hudak and Pip Hunt.
I did ask Wildflower Outdoor and they said they could work something out for locals. I'll have to find out what exactly that means :thumbsup:

DRG

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am planning on doing the Rippin Chix camp in Whitewater in January. All of Allison's events look amazing. Now trying to get as many days skiing in between now and the January camp as possible to prep body and ego!

3 days skiing so far . . . and headed to Banff on Saturday for 4 days!

:ski:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@DRG - did you ever end up doing the Rippin Chix camp in Whitewater? I was just looking at the website, and I'd love to hear what you thought about it. You can PM me if it's easier. I have been looking at the website, but also wondering if I would be too in over my head. Thanks!

DRG

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@DRG - did you ever end up doing the Rippin Chix camp in Whitewater? I was just looking at the website, and I'd love to hear what you thought about it. You can PM me if it's easier. I have been looking at the website, but also wondering if I would be too in over my head. Thanks!

Hello @Albertan ski girl ! I actually didn't end up going to the camp last season - work got in the way! But I've been looking at their schedule for the upcoming season to see if there is one that will be a fit. I also wonder if it might be too extreme, but when watching the videos, it looks like do-able. I have the Mountain Collective so I would love it if there was one offered at one of those resorts. There is one listed for Alta, but the way it shows on the website I don't know if the dates are TBD or if it is already sold out.

Which one are you considering?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello @Albertan ski girl ! I actually didn't end up going to the camp last season - work got in the way! But I've been looking at their schedule for the upcoming season to see if there is one that will be a fit. I also wonder if it might be too extreme, but when watching the videos, it looks like do-able. I have the Mountain Collective so I would love it if there was one offered at one of those resorts. There is one listed for Alta, but the way it shows on the website I don't know if the dates are TBD or if it is already sold out.

Even the Rippin Chix at Silverton is not that extreme. (ie, wasn't extreme at all) ... one of the ladies on one of my trips had only skied double blacks in the mid Atlantic.

Reactions: DRG

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think these camps look awesome - though I probably have to wait until I am a bit (lot?) stronger skier. But something to work towards!!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva

Hi @DRG - I also have the same worries. I thought the camps would be too advanced for me (I ski blacks here in Alberta, though not always elegantly), but I looked at the 'lower group' videos on the website and I thought it actually might be more of a possibility than I previously assumed. I don't think I will be able to make it this season because my teaching schedule for the winter is already set. But I'm thinking about it for next year. The one I'd like to do is the one in Whitewater - those dates actually might work this season, but I'd have to look and see if I could get some extra days off - but I would also really like to try Alta. I've never skied Utah, and I've read so many great things about Alta - especially from @marzNC on this site - so I'm tempted with Alta as well.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was looking at this too after @DRG told me about it. I think I'm just on the cusp of being eligible for the lower group. Like, "must be able to make 10 consecutive turns on a ungroomed single black diamond"...ehhhh...on a good day. Did you watch the video? After watching the video, I felt even more, "only on a good day would I find that fun." Worried that I would go to this camp and have an "off" day and be the worst person in the group. I think the fact that we're all interested in going but questioning our skill level means we're probably actually totally competent enough skiers for these camps!

Just realized tonight after looking at it again that there are different descriptions for each mountain. For Red it says: "The “lower” group must be able to make ten consecutive turns on an ungroomed single black diamond and the “upper” group should be able to make ten turns on an ungroomed double black diamond...Red Mountain is one of our most challenging camps for terrain – so do note that a blue run on Red Mountain is often steeper than the double blacks at an area like Vail." But then for Alta it sounds like there is only one group, lower: "The group must be able to make 10 turns on a groomed single black diamond. This group will be more similar to our lower group standards."

Thought that was interesting. The Alta one sounds too easy for both of you.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Was looking at this too after @DRG told me about it. I think I'm just on the cusp of being eligible for the lower group. Like, "must be able to make 10 consecutive turns on a ungroomed single black diamond"...ehhhh...on a good day. Did you watch the video? After watching the video, I felt even more, "only on a good day would I find that fun." Worried that I would go to this camp and have an "off" day and be the worst person in the group. I think the fact that we're all interested in going but questioning our skill level means we're probably actually totally competent enough skiers for these camps!

Just realized tonight after looking at it again that there are different descriptions for each mountain. For Red it says: "The “lower” group must be able to make ten consecutive turns on an ungroomed single black diamond and the “upper” group should be able to make ten turns on an ungroomed double black diamond...Red Mountain is one of our most challenging camps for terrain – so do note that a blue run on Red Mountain is often steeper than the double blacks at an area like Vail." But then for Alta it sounds like there is only one group, lower: "The group must be able to make 10 turns on a groomed single black diamond. This group will be more similar to our lower group standards."

Thought that was interesting. The Alta one sounds too easy for both of you.

Ok. I actually looked at the Alta dates and made a quick estimate of how much it would cost...sigh...

marzNC

Angel Diva
After looking at the video of a "lower group" at Red in 2012, I can understand why the Alta clinic would be set up for that level. Without a serious hike, Alta doesn't really have accessible steep, steep terrain that would be reasonable for a group of 6-12. However, there are short lift-served steeps and plenty of open terrain off the various traverses. Late March can mean either fresh powder or good spring skiing.

Looks like the Dec and Jan camps are already sold out.

Interesting note about fitness for the Red camp:
"While your turns do not have to be pretty or confident, this should not be your first try at skiing off a groomed run. Ski fitness is a must for this camp – be ready to ski 3,000 foot long runs in powder, crud, trees and rocks all day long for two days in a row."

marzNC

Angel Diva
For Crystal in March, there are three ability levels. For me, I think the middle group would make the most sense, mostly because I'm not that keen on terrain that requires catching air.

"Make sure you meet our camp requirements for skiing ability. Roughly, the “lower level” is learning steep skiing but must be able to make ten consecutive turns on a single black ungroomed slope. The “upper level” should be able to make ten turns on an ungroomed double black, no problem. The middle group falls somewhere in between. These turns don’t have to be pretty, as this is a camp to improve your technique and expand your terrain comfort zones, but this should NOT be your absolute first experience off groomed runs or on black runs. You should also be comfortably physically fit to ski all day long. At each camp you may choose the lower, middle, or upper level based upon your confidence and skills, and we will let you choose the right level for you after we do warm up runs all together."

"Middle Group:(select camps only – Crystal Mountain) These gals can generally venture off the groomed terrain, but they then fall apart when the terrain gets challenging or the snow gets funky. These girls can ski open trees, but shop for turns across the hill rather than down the fall line. They do not know how or when to schmear or slarve a turn. They have watched others catch airs, but have never considered trying them due to nerves or fear of injury. Little do they know how easy our baby steps are to learn. Some days they can ski double blacks and some days it all fall apart. The usual minimum ability for this group is ten consecutive turns on an ungroomed easier double black run."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna