• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

reviving elderly skis

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
well, elderly in that they are barely used, but from many seasons ago......I have a pair of Volkl carvers (V3 20-20) that I skied maybe a dozen times on. 16 years ago. They are narrow underfoot--65mm--and I had such fun on them. Needless to say, the bindings are no longer indemnified, but the skis themselves are in excellent condition.
Is it crazy to think of putting new bindings on such old skis? I have newer skis, so this would just be for fun.

Last edited:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just because they're not indemnified doesn't mean you can't ski them. It simply means it's no longer under "warranty", and no certified ski shop will touch them for adjustments or testing. If you do decide to use them as-is, just keep a close eye on any plastic parts, watching for cracks....once that happens, they're done. We have several we still ski, just for fun (Salomon X-Scream Series, Volant Machete, Volkl P40 F1, Volkl Vertigo G20).

Just me, but I wouldn't bother with new bindings on them unless you can find some older, but still indemnified, ones for cheap.

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
Just because they're not indemnified doesn't mean you can't ski them. It simply means it's no longer under "warranty", and no certified ski shop will touch them for adjustments or testing. If you do decide to use them as-is, just keep a close eye on any plastic parts, watching for cracks....once that happens, they're done. We have several we still ski, just for fun (Salomon X-Scream Series, Volant Machete, Volkl P40 F1, Volkl Vertigo G20).

Just me, but I wouldn't bother with new bindings on them unless you can find some older, but still indemnified, ones for cheap.
Thanks, that's helpful. I'll have to look more closely at the bindings that are on them. I'm not sure they'll accommodate my new boots, but maybe...

Jilly

Staff member
Those shouldn't be too bad. 1999/2000. Check any plastic for yellowing or cracks. But I'm thinking they had a lot of metal in them.

GoingDownhillWeeeee!

Certified Ski Diva
FWIW, when my neighbors gave me a pair of Salomons about the same age usage I kept the bindings, which were (and still are) in good shape. They've released in a couple of falls and never when they shouldn't have. The skis may be old and narrow but I still have a lot of fun with them on hard pack!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna