• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rental Boot Hell- Maybe I'm just not a skier?

mojo1979

Certified Ski Diva
I hope one of the divas out there can help me. I'm beginning to think maybe I'm just not cut out for skiing.

I'm pretty new to skiing; I've gone maybe 15 times. Last year I got season rentals. I had a lot of trouble staying parallel and towards the end of the season bruised my big toenail, which eventually fell off. This, combined with feeling like I could lift my foot right out of the boot, led me to believe that my rental boots were just too big.

This year, I got a smaller size boot, I think they were 24.5's. The first time I went skiing it was a revelation. It was easy to ski. I didn't have to work so hard. That is, until unbearable bone-crushing pain developed in my feet after 2 runs. I wound up sitting down while my boyfriend skied, with my boots unbuckled and my feet halfway out.

I figured the boots were just a tiny bit tight. I went back to the ski shop for a larger size. They gave me boots that were marked a size 8 (I'm guessing that is men's sizing, so they were probably a women's 10- way too big). I went back to the slopes and felt very unstable, like I was sloshing around in them.

So I went back to the ski shop for a smaller boot. I figured maybe they were supposed to hurt and I just needed to suck it up. This time they gave me boots marked size 6. Well, my feet cramped up before I ever put the skis on. I mean it was horribly painful, they're still sore now. They didn't hurt in the store but I guess I barely had them on a minute. I don't think my toes were getting any circulation since they went numb in a not-cold way.

Now I've gone to the slopes 4 times, and done a total of 5 runs. It's ridiculous. All the larger boots I tried on had to much room around my ankles. I felt like I could twist my foot in them. I don't think I can ever ski in this much pain. I'm beginning to think maybe I'm too picky? I can't afford to buy boots right now. I know they'd be expensive since I pronate a little and I need to use toewarmers almost every time I ski. A salesperson told me I couldn't put those air-activated warmers in fitted boots, and electronic boot warmers are another $200.

How is it possible that I can't find the right size? Maybe the problem's in my head? Maybe I'm just being a big baby? People rent everyday and manage to ski. Even if I could afford my own boots, I'm afraid that it would be a waste because maybe I'm the problem. I don't know. I'm really bummed because I want to be out skiing. Any thoughts?

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before I bought my own boots I was struggling with rentals obviously - one thing which really helped was having someone take the time to slowly and calmly explain and show me how the boots should be done up, telling me what I should/should not be feelings. Is there anybody that can do this for you?

I had the same woes, I would be in and out of the rental place going down a size on the left boot only, up in both sizes, down in both, etc., etc.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a ski instructor--last year, my bootfitter forgot my boots and I had to ski a day in rental boots---yuck!!! I have thin, low volume feet and nothing fit--I finally had to slop around in rental boots that were too stiff.

So, I would check it out at local stores--I have seen boots for sale as low as $130 on skis.com. but, you need to go to a good ski shop with a bootfitter and get a decent pair of last year's boots. You will not enjoy skiing unless you do. don't worry about skis--you can rent them forever. If you don't ski too much, boots can last for five years--so, it is a reasonable purchase if you like skiing. It is hard to get rental boots that are soft enough to flex (bend your ankle).

If you wear those toe warmers, try putting them on top of your toes. Stick the warmer on top and then make an X of duct tape and tape them onto your sock. Then put your foot in the boot. If you try to put your foot in the boot with the toe warmers on the bottom, they always wrinkle up. that is another reason that your toes are hurting so much.

If you get a better fitting boot, Like the Dalbello Lotus, the boots will be warmer and you won't need a toe warmer. good luck, skiing is fun once you get past the boot issue!!!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing most of us will not compromise on is our boots. :sad Anyone will tell you that it is THE most important part of the skiing ensemble.

I just went to my first bootfitter about three weeks ago. Before that I was skiing in boots that were an entire size too big. That being said, at least they were comfortable. The original boots I bought at a local ski shop and basically just tried on boots until I found some that I liked. I had no idea they were too big. I did ski in them for about 15years but was starting to have even more issues with control and not being able to get them tight enough.

The new boots (fit by the bootfitter) are incredibly tight! Even though they are tighter than my last ones ever thought of being, they are NOT in the least bit uncomfortable.

I will say that boots are expensive but they don't have to be. My bootfitter pointed me toward the last year's models and knew that price was definitely a consideration for me. Also, when you figure out that I spent about $400 on the last pair of boots they also lasted me for 15 years. That's about $27 per year. :eyebrows: WELL worth knowing that my boots fit me and that if I have an issue I can return to the shop and they will make them right. :D

Please consider having a bootfitting evaluation at the least and even possibly getting your own pair of boots. You will NEVER regret it. :p

little one

Certified Ski Diva
mojo, do not say you are not a skier ... you clearly have the fever, you just don't have the proper tools yet. i see you live in NJ ... where do you ski? if it is the Catskills, there are a few boot fitters in Hunter ... either Irwin at Hunter Mountain or Keith at The Pro. They are both reasonably competent and can help you. the advantage to the boot fitter at the mountain is that they can 'fine tune' as you ski. ski a few runs, go back and tell them where it hurts and they can make the necessary modifications to the boot. custom footbeds also help a lot, but you may not want to make the investment right now. last year's models are greatly discounted. don't give up ...

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My suggestion is to buy boots based on fit, not price. It just may be that the correct boot for your foot will cost $500.

From someone who had boot fit woes earlier this season, trust me. It's all about the fit. A smaller boot and custom footbeds solved my problem.

You don't have to ski in pain. Boots are uncomfortable, but they don't have to hurt.

My boot fitter kept saying, "Ski in these, see how it works." When it didn't work for me, I went back in for tweak here or there. All the work paid off. My boots fit well. I have no foot pain. Nothing is rubbing. My heel stays where it should.

A good boot fitter will understand the pain you describe and be able to recommend a solution.

mojo1979

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the advice about the toe warmers, Elangirl. I had been trying to keep them under my toes. It would make it difficult to slide my foot in while trying not to bunch them up. Placing them above my toes might provide some padding for my oh-so-sensitive big toenail, the one I lost last year.

Marge, I would love a bootfitting, if I could afford it. Ironically, the reason I don't have boots is because I didn't want to go cheap there. I bought skis in April last year on ebay for less than 1/2 price. I was going to get boots in the fall, so there would be a bigger selection since I'm a common size. I figured that would give me enough time to save up and get a good pair. Then I got laid off and, well, now I don't have boots.

I guess I'll rent at the ski resort and go a little large. My feet still ache today after wearing the smaller boots for one run last night. I feel like I walked 80 blocks in heels! I skied last year in boots too big. I guess I'll have to do it this year too.

Does anyone know if it's true that those little toe warmers can't go in fitted boots? The salesperson at a local shop said I could probably get boots for $350-$400, but since I pronate, have flat feet, and knocked knees (just to name a few of my foot irregularities- I wear spencos in my street shoes), I would need custom foot beds, another $130. All of this didn't sound that outrageous until I mentioned that I almost always need foot warmers. The salesperson told me that fitted boots are too tight for toe warmers so I would need to spend another $200 for electronic heaters. $700 total? Can't swing it.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
rental boot are designed to "work" (if you can call it that!) for everybody, so they actually fit pretty much nobody!...and my first 2 pairs of bought boots (bought at ski shops - the sales people insisted they'd be fine once I got used to them) were as bad or worse (managed to be too tight AND too big at the same time :doh: )!

...like folks have said, spend time trying on boots in stores, spending at least an hour in anything you're actually considering...even if you can't find any "older model" deals or "end-of-season" sales that fit your budget (some shops also take in used gear on consignment, which may be an option), spend the time to find out what you need to look for in a boot, then hit some ski swaps next fall & plan on spending several hours trying on boots!

Remember - sales people are there to sell you something - don't buy unless YOU are happy with the fit...keep trying different places 'till you start finding what works. [boots should be snug; an extention of your feet, almost like another layer of muscle or skin (except for some room in the toe box to wiggle your toes!)...initially they might even feel a bit TOO snug...that said they should not be tight (which implied a constriction). Trick is to wrap your mind around the distinction]

(btw, the rental boots I was put in during a "learn to ski program" were a size 27...I now wear a size 23.5 boot!...worlds of difference! And my current boot cost me under $250...but it DID take learning what I needed to look for in a boot - everyone's foot/ankle/calf is shaped a bit differently...)

...for cold feet, invest in some boot gloves - https://www.altrec.com/dry-guy/boot...r:referralID=NA&GANTrackingID=altrec_27709455 - yes, they really DO work!

Good Luck!

altagirl

Staff member
Fitted boots are NOT too tight for toe warmers - they just want to sell you $200 boot heaters. When you get your boots thermo-molded to your feet, they put a little cup over your toes so you have wiggle room - which means you have just enough room to put the foot warmers on TOP of your toes.

I hate to say it, but I don't think there is any way I would be willing to ski at all in rental boots. I'd be so uncomfortable there would be no point in bothering.

mojo1979

Certified Ski Diva
i see you live in NJ ... where do you ski? if it is the Catskills, there are a few boot fitters in Hunter ... either Irwin at Hunter Mountain or Keith at The Pro. They are both reasonably competent and can help you. the advantage to the boot fitter at the mountain is that they can 'fine tune' as you ski. ski a few runs, go back and tell them where it hurts and they can make the necessary modifications to the boot.

little one,

I usually ski in the Poconos...Camelback and Shawnee. Hunter's 2 or 3 hours from me, I think. I'd drive up there for a fitting, but since they don't have night skiing, I doubt that I could buy boots there and try them out on the same day. I don't know where Pro is. Once a year, I go to Stowe with my boyfriend, usually in March. I know they have a good bootfitter but they charge by the hour for the fitting. I think that plus the price of boots could add up real fast. Do Hunter or Pro have more reasonable pricing/ policies?

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if it's true that those little toe warmers can't go in fitted boots? The salesperson at a local shop said I could probably get boots for $350-$400, but since I pronate, have flat feet, and knocked knees (just to name a few of my foot irregularities- I wear spencos in my street shoes), I would need custom foot beds, another $130. All of this didn't sound that outrageous until I mentioned that I almost always need foot warmers. The salesperson told me that fitted boots are too tight for toe warmers so I would need to spend another $200 for electronic heaters. $700 total? Can't swing it.

pronation, flat feet, and knocked knees are all part of the same problem and fairly common - alot of skiers use these - https://www.altrec.com/superfeet/green-insole?cm_sp=Baynote-_-Detailpage-_-DetailPageAlsoWantA - or one of their other models to good effect...also look for a boot with "cuff canting", which is not hard to do yourself if you need to (adjust 1/2 degree at a time - ski on it a bunch of times. Keep doing this until you feel it's gone "past" where you want/need it, then back it to where it was good - legs will probably be different...I'd say don't go past 4 degrees, but I haven't seen a boot yet that would, so...)

altagirl

Staff member
Generally, most shops include basic bootfitting if you purchase the boots from them. (If you buy them at a swap or online or something, obviously they are going to charge you for fitting). Getting properly shell fit and then having the liners thermo-molded to your feet will address MOST of the problems you are running into with rental boots. I mean, just the fact that they were jumping you two full street shoe sizes when you complained is completely insane. It's like they weren't even trying.

Honestly - even if you have to wait to be able to afford custom footbeds, it would probably be worth getting new boots now and using the stock footbeds for a while. That alone is going to be 100 times better than using rental boots where they can't even be bothered to put you in the right size. Not to mention - you don't have to go through the hassle every time you go skiing...

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About pronation and foot beds...

Are you wearing your arch supports in your ski boots?

Here's what the boot fitter told me. If your rental boots are too big/wide/high volume, you know that you need to tighten them down to control your skis. So when you tighten, all you are doing is crushing your arch even flatter. This causes pain in the sole of the foot.

There are also nerves and blood vessels running across the top of your foot. Tightening down the boot can cut off circulation, causing numbness and cold toes.

Everything has a solution if you throw enough money at it. The inevitable solution, well-fitted boots, is too expensive for you at the moment. The key is to put your money in the most effective solution for you.

I think your best temporary alternative is to get custom foot beds for $100. I understand they can be moved from boot to boot. Be sure to have the person who makes them put high density foam under the foot bed to tilt/cant the footbed to your stance. It's not necessarily about just the arch, but how your foot works with the boot.

I agree with WG about Boot Gloves. They cost $30 and if you put a hand warmer between boot and boot glove, it's even warmer. I skied all day yesterday at 15F and never had cold feet.

Let us know how it works out for you.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Call around and talk to bootfitters. I got one in Steamboat for free. He assessed my boots and told me what was wrong with them and then we went from there. :eyebrows: Yes ,they can be expensive but, again, they are the MOST important part of the ski package. I also found that they were quite flexible on the custom footbeds as well. If you bought the boots, they took 1/2 off so they were only about $50.

I'm sure they're not selling a TON of stuff right now so they might be willing to at least talk to you and find out what you need . Can't hurt, maybe you'll find a great deal and you can go with a cheaper boot, custom footbeds, and still be a reasonable package. Again, you will not be sorry. :wink:

mojo1979

Certified Ski Diva
I mean, just the fact that they were jumping you two full street shoe sizes when you complained is completely insane. It's like they weren't even trying.

Honestly - even if you have to wait to be able to afford custom footbeds, it would probably be worth getting new boots now and using the stock footbeds for a while. That alone is going to be 100 times better than using rental boots where they can't even be bothered to put you in the right size.

The funny thing is that I've tried on soooo many pairs of rental boots. The guy at the rental shop brought out boots 2 sizes larger because I seem to have a choice: If the boot gives me room for my toes and doesn't pinch across their "knuckles" (sorry, need to brush up on HS bio), it is way to loose around my ankle, heel, and calf. If I get a nice snug fit around my ankle, which makes me feel like I don't have to work so hard to control my skis, then I wind up crushing my toe area width and heightwise. I'm not sure the rental shop is to blame. I think they're trying. They told me to buy boots or go rent-to-own. I've tried on so many pairs of rentals that I'm worried that I don't understand what they're supposed to feel like or something. I mean, how can none of them feel like they fit? Thanks for suggesting I buy just the boots for now. Getting everything at once was just too much of a financial burden to contemplate. If just getting boots will help, I'll try.

Altagirl,

I'll definitely check on the Superfeet. I'm guessing they're like an OTC orthodic or insert? I don't know what canting is though.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
to follow altagirl's thoughts, a boot that fits well will do alot to minimize your pronation/flat feet/knocked knee problem...the first step in the series of events that cause these problems is your forefoot splaying (forefoot splays/arch colapses/ankle rolls in/knees follow - gotta love kinetics!)...a boot that fits well in the forefoot area minimizes the amount of splaying & short-curcuits the problem somewhat...add insoles that support the heel in a manner that minimizes ankle-roll & you are a long way there (cuff canting works to adjust your weight distribution, minimizing both the initial splay/collapse AND the ankle/knee roll-in in response)

...cuff canting is an adjustment on some boot that allows you to adjust the angle of the boot cuff to the foot of the boot - if you pronate, you want to angle the cuff just a bit to the outside

altagirl

Staff member
Sounds like you have the same shaped foot as I do - wider forefoot, skinny heel/ankle. And it is hard to find boots that fit that, but they are out there. My last alpine boot is an Atomic M110, which worked well, but they punched out the toes a bit. I seriously doubt you will find a rental boot that is going to work for you - like someone else said - they make the rental boots just big overall so everyone can stuff their feet in them.

But it will make a huge difference once you find something that fits you properly. They are out there!

mojo1979

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you, divas. I've read some of the other boot-fitting posts. I'll try to take note of which boots, including yours, Altagirl's, were recommended for the wide toes/skinny ankle dilemma.

In the mean time, my boyfriend, who thinks I'm overreacting to the pain, wants to ski tomorrow. I'd really like to go & get in more than one run. I can't really shop today, it's Superbowl Sunday and all. Any ideas for a quick fix? I have toe-warmers, Spenco 3/4 length orthodics, medical tape, lambswool, thick and thin cushion socks, and rental boots that are cramp inducing when they're not even buckled. Any MacGyvers out there? I was thinking maybe I should rent larger boots at the mountain and deal with them.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The recommendations of putting the toe warmers on the top. I tried them on the bottom and got toe cramps within an hour. What size shoe do you wear? I wear a 9-9-1/2 and they put me in a 25 mondo. Sounds like the skipped an entire size on you. Did they go from 26 to 24? They also do 24.5, 25, 25.5, etc. See if they have something a bit closer to your size needed.

As for socks, don't go too thick. Maybe just just the moleskin where needed but use a regular pair of ski socks? I found that the thicker the socks the worse my toes got cold.

I also have the Atomics as Altagirl said. The fitter said they have a wider toe box and smaller heel cup. I have no problems with toe cramping anymore. :D

Good luck. I hope you can get some runs in today without being horribly uncomfortable. :clap:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the adult skier, rental boots suck, period. As a host, I observe the drama in the rental shop and I just wonder how many occasional/recreational skiers just don't get that into skiing based on the day's experience in rental boots. The basic package boots are the cheapest boots not designed for comfort but for mass outfitting.

For kids, it's a different story and rentals make sense for beginning tots.

Go to a bootfitter, find out what shell works best for your feet and what size. If you can't afford a new pair and the fitting, then look around for that size/model that was recommended and work with it. Even without custom footbeds (if you eventually need them) you are still better off than renting.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga