• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Relocation to Germany - need advice!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So....I have an opportunity to relocate to Germany for work, and my husband and I are seriously considering it. I have a lot of questions, and I would love advice from anyone who currently lives or has lived recently in Europe (especially Germany). It's one thing to visit, but living there permanently is more intimidating. Mostly questions about housing, fair wages, cost of living, transportation, work culture, child care, dog ownership, language barriers, etc. I will be entering negotiations by end of summer, so I'd like to have a good grasp on what my family should demand so we can enjoy our time over there (my husband would be unemployed when we first move, but would like to find work if possible). This is not necessarily temporary - it will be as permanent as we want it to be.

If anyone has some good insight, please comment or send me a message so I can pick your brains!

Thanks!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Ah! That is awesome! What part of Germany? I have no advice personally, but Etsy has an office in Berlin now and a few co-workers -- one a family with a toddler-aged daughter -- have moved there over the past few years. Let me ask her if she'd be willing to be put in touch with you.

Congrats! Opportunities like this are such a blast.

altagirl

Staff member
You know I loved living in Germany and we'd go back if we could figure it out. I was spoiled though being in the military with gas coupons and a housing database to choose from there there was a US agency to determine fair rental rates off post. Gas will be expensive but driving over there is awesome. Language barriers in society in general are nearly nonexistent if you're dealing with people under probably 40 because so many speak English. Though I'd imagine you'd need to learn German for your job? That would be a different thing, but just functioning to shop and travel, etc. is not a big deal at all.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Wow what an opportunity! I have nothing useful to offer other than excitement and maybe watch House Hunters International: transfer to Germany....<GDR....>:goodluck:

Christy

Angel Diva
How exciting to have the opportunity! Tradygirl, I know there are expat/relocation message boards, resources, websites, etc that are great resources for these types of questions. I don't have any links but I bet you can find one either by googling, or by going on Fodor's or Trip Advisor's message boards and asking about expat/relocation forums.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a smaller town called Furstenfeldbruck outside of Munich. I don't think I would necessarily have to learn German for work, since I'll be working with customers all over Europe (mostly France, Germany, Italy) and a lot of time working with our manufacturing in China. Generally, English is the language of business over there. There's got to be relocation experts that could help us with all of the logistics, right? Hopefully I can get the company to pay for us to go over there this summer to check it all out before committing to anything.

Rachel - I'd love to be able to talk more with an American who recently moved over there with a toddler. It's good that my husband would pretty much be available to stay home with her, but I'd like to know more about child care. It would be sweet if we could afford a part time nanny to give him some time to work or whatever.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We've got the reverse - a friend from Germany who married an American moved here a number of years ago. If you think she could be of any help I can ask her things for you.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oooh, have fun! I think it would be a great experience. We almost spent 2 years in Zurich when the kids were toddlers, but we didn't. I have no regrets, exactly, and am very happy where we are, but I do wish it had worked out. I say do it

abc

Banned
Mostly questions about housing, fair wages, cost of living, transportation, work culture, child care, dog ownership, language barriers, etc. I will be entering negotiations by end of summer, so I'd like to have a good grasp on what my family should demand
I can't help with the specific about Germany. But I once went through the whole negociation process (only to have the project went bust).

Fair wages: you can find wage report online. But that's not the only thing, TAXES is a big deal. In my case, it was temporary so the company pays the tax difference between US tax vs destination tax (considerably higher than US).

Cost of living/housing/transportation: again, that data is easily available online. Probably the easiest is for the relocation company to find you something for the first year while you get to know the place you live. Gas cost more but the distance are shorter so you may drive less.

Language isn't a barrier per se. But if you plan to live there for long, it may sense to learn it.

I had no child care and dogs to concern with. So can't help there.

A lot of data are available online, plus some expat chat board you can ask questions on.

my husband would be unemployed when we first move, but would like to find work if possible
You need to find out about work permit.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tradygirl- I'll ask my mother if she has any info for you. She has lived in Zorneding for about 16 years now (on the opposite side of Munich), and has been fairly active in an International Women's club for most of that time so has connections of all ages all around the area. At the very least she should be able to set you up with additional contact info. If you can wrangle a trip there this summer, go for it. Munich is a great area- usually I try to get there in the summer with the kids to visit "Oma and Opa", but with a move looming myself, unfortunately it won't be in the cards this year.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tradygirl - What a fun opportunity! I can't speak to living oversees as an adult or to doing it in this day and age, but I will tell you that my dad (who was a professor at the time) did a sabbatical year teaching in The Netherlands when I was in kindergarten. Obviously my memories are not wholly reliable since I was young and it was many years ago, but it was definitely a good experience and one not many people have (other than the military as far as I know)...

Sometimes when companies move people around, they have the families do a house swap - I don't recall whether that was the issue when I was young, but I do recall living in a 4th floor walk-up flat, letting a bucket down for the guy who came by selling bread, playing on the frozen canals in winter, traveling through other European countries on long weekends and so on and so forth. Most Europeans are taught English starting very young, so getting by without knowing the language is not a big deal in many places (this is truer in Northern European countries more so than southern ones I think). My dad learned "gas station" Dutch; my mom learned "grocery store" Dutch, and my sister learned a bit more (she went to a school where teachers used English for her). I became fairly fluent since my parents sent me to a different school where I had to learn the language in a sink or swim situation. I've since been told I picked up some German words traveling through that area as well since the languages are similar...

I think the pet thing can be harder to decipher since there are regulations concerning putting pets in quarantine for some amount of time on either end I believe...

I have a friend whose family moved to Switzerland for a year or so for work - she had 3 kids ages approx. 6 and under at the time, and as far as I know, she considers it to have been a great experience. Most of her "regrets" to the degree she has any at all - have to do with having had another family use her home for the year she was gone and so forth. Kids are pretty flexible - and even those who like structure and routine would probably adjust just fine after a period of time.

Anyway, I look back on it as having been a great experience - although I wish I had been a bit older so that I remembered more of it. My memories are more of the "I know we did it since there are pictures but I don't really remember it firsthand" variety... as I said we did travel, and I think my parents used the times when the grandparents came to take off on longer trips (Eastern Europe in the 1970s, LOL, Greece etc)... I also know that we went over to Europe on one of the QE ships (who knows which one) which was an experience in and of itself) - and that we flew home with grandparents while my parents traveled through the-then USSR.

I'm rambling a bit, but I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't let the kiddies hold you back, unless it's medically complicated (like needing therapy for autism or speech, or maybe diabetes or something where the services might be hard to get or the language nuances might be a bigger issue)...

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've got the reverse - a friend from Germany who married an American moved here a number of years ago. If you think she could be of any help I can ask her things for you.

Any contacts would be great. I'm getting super overwhelmed trying to figure out my desired compensation for negotiation/cost of living, etc so maybe a local could have some insight.

Tradygirl- I'll ask my mother if she has any info for you. She has lived in Zorneding for about 16 years now (on the opposite side of Munich), and has been fairly active in an International Women's club for most of that time so has connections of all ages all around the area. At the very least she should be able to set you up with additional contact info. If you can wrangle a trip there this summer, go for it.

It would be great to get some contacts of other English-speaking expats in the area to ask questions about living costs, etc. It sounds like I'll be travelling over there later this summer on a recon trip to see the area, check out the office, etc. before making a final decision. My husband will be staying home with our daughter, so it wouldn't hurt to find some other English-speakers for him to befriend at some point.

From preliminary discussions, the company will provide a relocation service and cover our living expenses for a minimum of 3 months. I'll also get a company car with a gas card (although I will have to pay the taxes on the car). So far the deal seems pretty reasonable - I just need to make sure I'll be making enough money for us to come out of the experience ahead (and be able to afford trips back home and around Europe).

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have no useful information, but my mom is German and we lived in Germany (dad was civil service) from my ages 5 to 9. I feel that being bilingual and having the experience of another culture - sure, it's still Western, but there are differences - has been a huge help in developing my tolerance and understanding. I would definitely recommend exposing your kids to that kind of experience!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ok, I've emailed her to see if I can give you her email or if she'd rather have you send me questions through the forum, which I could then pass on. She's actually back visiting her parents for the next two weeks, and I'm not sure how much computer time she has there, but I'll keep you posted.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey I've been living in Munich for 16 months now so feel free to ask any questions. I find the language isn't a huge barrier, most people speak excellent English, but my lack of German has hampered my social life a bit. Munich area is a great location but it is pretty much the most expensive place to live in Germany, saying that I find I am about the same as I would be living in the UK in the same job. I earn more than I would in the UK but pay loads of tax, about 40% all in including healthcare. Rent in Munich is comparable to a big city in the UK but way more expensive than the rest of Germany so you might be a bit cheaper living further out. Public transport is excellent, both locally and travelling further afield within Europe. Any other specific questions feel free to ask here or by PM.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, finally heard back from my parents (they always get a lot of summer visitors). I was expecting a link to the international women's club, or something of that ilk from my Mom. Instead, I got a longish more businessy note from my Dad, so probably best not to post the whole thing here. You can PM me and I'll forward it on to you that way if you want.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm assuming you have found ToyTown? There is a massive number of wangs on there but it also has the most helpful information on everything you could ever need to move to Germany.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga