• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Recommendations for snow pants that don't make you feel fat?

Tigress

Diva in Training
is it just me or do snow pants fit very small? I'm tall and my hips are fairly high up. I'm a size 10-12 but when I try on snow pants certain brands I don't even fit into an XXL. Why do they make snow pants to fit so small?

I'm looking for recommendations for pants. Something that fits a bit more high waisted and will accommodate my curves!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find Obermeyer Malta's to be very comfortable and not too bulky. They're not super low-waisted and they come in a large range of sizes.
I bought a pair of men's pants on sale recently, too (Krypton, I think) because they felt more slim-fitting than women's anad had more and deeper pockets. Not sure men's would work with a high waist, though.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I find Obermeyer Malta's to be very comfortable and not too bulky. They're not super low-waisted and they come in a large range of sizes.

I have a pair of these and like them very much.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Didn't buy them, but tried on the ski pants they have at Eddie Bauer- they seemed more high waisted than is common. And somehow I fit a small? (Normally between M and L lately.) They also come in petite and tall.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Tigress - are you looking at XXLs only for height (but are swimming in them at the waist), or are you looking at XXLs for waist as well? I assumed the latter because of curves, but I want to be sure.

These bibs are the ones I own, but a different color. Not made anymore. If they weren't the same color as my jacket, I would probably order these this instant. This is a very good price for the quality. https://www.steepandcheap.com/arcteryx-sentinel-full-bib-pant-womens

- IN XL. I wear a size 16/18 generally. 5'5 but short for my weight.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had luck with Burton being roomier in the hips etc. Patagonia, Arcteryx, Marmot, Mammut etc are all too small in the booty and quad area around the knees for me and too big elsewhere - not very comfortable.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a few pair of pants that I love but the most comfy ones are Flylow... not sure which model but boy are they cozy. They are sort of loose - heck they might even be technically snowboarding pants, not really sure. But they are my go-to because they are one of the few pair that don't pinch in my waist or have a really short crotch. My other favorite pair are Salomon, and they are adjustable inside and nice and long - though not quite as roomy as the Flylows. I don't think I can fit in my beloved Arc'Teryx pants anymore. :(

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try Norrona, their Lofoten series. Their "M" is a European 40-42 (pretty loose fit) which is a 10-12 in the US and 12-14 in the UK. Their L and XL are truely bigger than their M, not only longer (as for a lot of other brands).

And I also go for bibs.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bibs. Bibs bibs bibs. No narrowing/elastic at the waist.
Bib pants here too. I have 2 pairs, both goretex - Patagonia alpine women's (XL I think) and Mammut men's (L). Very little else seems to fit. The big advantage of the dungaree-style is that you can adjust the straps so that the legs aren't too long, which is a problem in my old non-bib Salomon pants. Don't be afraid to try the men's styles too.

I found that large in arcteryx wouldn't even get to my hips... Most depressing.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found that large in arcteryx wouldn't even get to my hips... Most depressing

Was it the Sentinel? Arc'teryx makes clothes in several different fit designations. I've found the more relaxed ones are larger than most brands.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was it the Sentinel? Arc'teryx makes clothes in several different fit designations. I've found the more relaxed ones are larger than most brands.
I'm not sure which ones they were - not bibs, but on sale so I had a go at getting into them!

My husband tried on some of their bib pants, and they had a huge bubble butt - so it makes sense if some of the other women's styles are more generous. Good to know actually - I'd kind of discounted them from my options as the ones I tried were such a slim fit.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Also don't forget Columbia - their pants are great and come in a wide range of sizes. I've owned the Bugaboos in the past!

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I vote for men's pants too - I have two pairs. A large in Volcom (when I am carrying more weight) and a medium in Cartel (a pretty pastel Aqua which I thought was strange for a men's pant - yay for all the metros out there). I hope to fit into the medium size when I hit the slopes at the end of Feb :tongue:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna