• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Recommendations for AIARE Level 1 course in Tahoe?

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
Can anyone recommend a good AIARE Level 1 course in the Tahoe area? I'm a low-expert skier, but I've never used a touring set-up or skins before. I'm looking for a course that won't include a massive climb or really advanced touring skills, although if people here say that those skills are really essential, maybe I'll take an "intro to backcountry" course first. Thank you!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You don't need advanced touring skills.

My only hesitation, if that's even the right word, is that you will be getting a huge info dump during the class. You might not be able to absorb quite as much information if you're distracted by the mechanics. But really, there aren't that many mechanics.

When I took it a couple of years ago in Colorado (and I'd like to take it again), we spent most of our time in the classroom. BUT it during what probably turned out to be the coldest week of the season - it's possible we would have spent more time outside if it had not been dangerously cold to be standing around talking.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
My friend who took the course back east said the same thing (right down to it being extremely cold so they had to take in tons of information inside), but she's just going to take it again. Perhaps I can at least do a quick uphill spin on my skis during a resort day to get the very basics down...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Perhaps I can at least do a quick uphill spin on my skis during a resort day to get the very basics down...

Yeah, I would think that should be fine. Ideally you are not "stepping" but rather gliding your feet forward. The tricky part is when you have to deal with short downhill sections where you would leave your skins on. It feels VERY weird. We were running late one day and skied through cold, thus sticky, powder (poor us!) between trees - it wasn't tree skiing, more a traverse down to the trail, but I did get psyched out by the feel of skiing on skins, got into the back seat, and fell.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
@skiwest , not sure if you are looking at North Lake or South Lake, but here's a list:
https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/education

ASI went through some flux recently and seems to be getting back in the game. Alpenglow has many of former ASI guides. Backcountry Babes offers both all-women and mixed-gender courses, but not as frequently as the other ones.

Thank you! I actually ended up signing up for an Alpenglow class in January (the location sounds super convenient). Backcountry Babes didn't have any dates that worked for me, but I would love to do an all-women's class in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna