• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

rash guards?

Christy

Angel Diva
Since I know we have surfing and tropical vacation-taking divas here...

I am going on a tropical trip and I know how hard it is to keep from getting burned when in and out of the water all day. Is a rash guard top a good option? Should I get a short sleeved one if I'm going somewhere warm? Or would a swim shirt be a better option? I did read online swim shirts/surf tees tend to ride up and and therefore annoying. @altagirl @geargrrl

altagirl

Staff member
I have a bunch of them and prefer long sleeve. If you're hot, just get wet, and then you don't have to bother with the sunscreen on your arms.

I have a plain white high necked zip front one with ruched sides by Carve designs that's one of my favorites to wear over bikini tops. And then several Dakine ones with a shelf bra that are tighter and work fine alone.

I will say that I need to size up unless you want them really tight. And the white is nice for hot weather but gets dirty.

altagirl

Staff member
I really like the white one and I might get that. It's funny to think it would get dirty.

Yeah, probably depends on where you are. Pools and a nice white sand beach aren't really an issue, but wearing it for SUP on rivers and lakes with muddy shores... not really the ideal color choice.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The long sleeve ones are best if you want to keep from getting burned in general and I don't find they get too hot especially if you get wet.
Mostly I use them to keep from getting my back and stomach burned as I find those areas are not as hearty as my arms tend to be with regards to sun. So sometimes I like to use short sleeve ones as well just because it's easier to sunblock my arms than my back.
I feel like in general the ones sold as swim tops tend to be looser/thinner than the ones marketed as a true rash guard. As mentioned above if you go with a rash guard you may want to size up if you like a roomier fit, as some of them can be quite tight.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Christy what particular activities are you wearing the rash guards for?

Surfing Rash guards are meant to be tight to stay on while duck diving waves and surviving the underwater spin cycle.
Most rash guards have a way of attaching to board shorts so that the top doesn't ride up. You can find different cuts/ long/ short/ sleeveless and different thickness of material.

Highly recommend WHITE if you are going to a very hot destination.

O'Neill is my go to brand, and now, as many other surf brands have expanded their lines to include additional UV protection wear from hoodies to tights. I love O'Neills basic skins l/s crew for surfing or swimming. A loser fitting version would be the basic skins l/s rash T.

Many other surf companies (Roxy, Billabong, Dakine and Xcel) make "rash guards" and I've even seen them at target and lands end.

I think what you need to determine is what cut/ fabric thickness and style is going to work for you on your trip. There are some really cute rash guards that work well for beach activities but would be a hazard for true surfing.

Christy

Angel Diva
For swimming, snorkeling and kayaking. It's not supposed to be HOT hot--it's for French Polynesia. We have a beach hut for one part and an overwater bungalow for another so I know I'll be in and out of the water constantly. I've had a bad burn ruin a tropical trip before and though I'd like to think I know better now, I think it's just hard too stay sunscreened.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For swimming, snorkeling and kayaking. I'll be in and out of the water constantly. I've had a bad burn ruin a tropical trip before and though I'd like to think I know better now, I think it's just hard too stay sunscreened.

I would get a looser fit for kayaking and tighter for swim/snorkel. If you are really prone to burning you can also try a full bodysuit for snorkeling - Henderson or NeoSport sell full Body Lycra suits that offer 50+ UV protection. You could also pair up a rash guard and "surf" tights (Lycra Capris etc) if you were going to be in the sun kayaking or snorkeling for an extended time. Depending on water temp you may actually prefer a darker color for swimming/ snorkeling if you are going to be in the water longer.

Personally, I would try to get a bit of color before you go. Perhaps not the current 'correct' thing to do but it works for me. If I'm going to be surfing in a bikini / rash guard I try to get a base tan on my legs before I go. I absolutely do not use sunscreen on my legs when surfing - makes a slippery mess w/ surf wax. Starting w/ a bit of a tan seems to prevent a 'burn' even if I'm spending 4-6 hours surfing a day. I do cover up when not in the water and try to avoid being out during noon.

Sounds like a fantastic trip :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
I also have Maaji swim capris that I've worn swimming and paddle boarding that are really thin but great for sun coverage in hot weather. Locally I usually use neoprene capris because our water is typically cold, but the thin swim capris were nice in Costa Rica.

altagirl

Staff member
I would say that 90% of the time that I'm just out playing in the surf, I just wear the rash guard and bikini bottom however if I'm going to be out for an extended period of time, then the capris are a good option.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga