• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Random Observations about Binding Delta/Angle

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all this information. I have to admit, I love skiing but I have no idea what/how/where to see or check what the delta is for me? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I highly recommend watching this to learn more about binding delta including how to measure yourself :

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all this information. I have to admit, I love skiing but I have no idea what/how/where to see or check what the delta is for me? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Definitely watch the video @kmb5662 linked. Tom Gellie is excellent at explaining it (and a lot of other stuff.) Delta is a variable that can't really be measured--it's a feeling and can have a huge impact on how a ski feels.
I highly recommend watching this to learn more about binding delta including how to measure yourself :
Great link-thanks for sharing!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hmmm I was discussing the shim concept with my bootfitter today.. he told me that we can easily shim the Squires (+5mm) toe up 2 or 4 mm. But that doesn’t get you to where they are now of -1.5.. it would only get you to +1. Certainly much better, but I think I am going to get a couple of this year’s demo Squire to set aside.

There’s an attack that is +4mm so seems you can more easily get that at least to neutral.

mustski

Angel Diva
I’m with you. I bought some Squire TCX Demos and I’m tempted to buy another pair. The only thing that stops me is the constant improvements in technology

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Certainly look into and find your delta angles on your bindings if you're curious (I did). But not everyone is impacted/feels delta angles, so if you're not feeling a difference in bindings I wouldn't worry about it either. And I have small feet/a small BSL... in a 23.5 boot.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Absolutely, he is a great listener and always willing to think outside of the box and try things to address issues that arise.

The one and only :smile:. I’ve been going to see him for around a decade now, he’s the best.
He did my last set-up. I don’t exactly think my boots are right for me but during covid we were limited. They are not too bad though.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I was too late trying to edit, but also had written..

Hmmmm that is interesting on the binding piece.. I heard it from @mustski originally and also confirmed with Phil on Ski Talk. I sure would love if it at least wasn’t happening next season, maybe it’s gotten pushed back or something.. @SnowHot do you know anything on the timing for the Squire demo bindings changing ramp angles?

Also interesting on the Nordicas.. I don’t think Torin carries Nordica (unfortunately since then it won’t be easy to try on with him) but I will inquire about the boot in general when I speak to him.
The promachine are the boots it took three people to get me into. I sold them and took a large hit. Beautifully made

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More random musings after switching the Squires on my Sheeva 9s to a lower ramp angle Warden 11 demo from 2022:

My back and hips don't hurt on the Sheevas anymore, and they are WAY more fun on groomers now! So, yes I can power through with a steeper delta, but I ski much better and more comfortably with a flatter overall delta. We've had a lot of snow the past few days, and I've been on the Sheevas for the most part. I skied them with the Squires on Friday and whined enough to my husband that we swapped them out, skied them with the Wardens all weekend and was much happier. (Now if I could just fix my right turns in powder!)

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
More random musings after switching the Squires on my Sheeva 9s to a lower ramp angle Warden 11 demo from 2022:

My back and hips don't hurt on the Sheevas anymore, and they are WAY more fun on groomers now! So, yes I can power through with a steeper delta, but I ski much better and more comfortably with a flatter overall delta. We've had a lot of snow the past few days, and I've been on the Sheevas for the most part. I skied them with the Squires on Friday and whined enough to my husband that we swapped them out, skied them with the Wardens all weekend and was much happier. (Now if I could just fix my right turns in powder!)
Interesting observation. I too used to get back pain skiing, which I assumed went away once my skills improved (and maybe that is true), but I also flattened my delta.....

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Ramp angle makes so much difference to those of us sensitive to it. Don't let anyone tell you different. So glad you've been able to get more neutral!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know off-hand what the delta was on the Tyrolia Attack 13 circa 2020?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ramp angle makes so much difference to those of us sensitive to it. Don't let anyone tell you different. So glad you've been able to get more neutral!
I've always been sensitive but this year in new boots, I was able to adapt OK, but it still wasn't great. The worst is still a high delta and a forward mount ski. Oy!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know this year’s Attacks are +4 as my bootfitter measuree them for me when I was at the shop a couple of weeks ago. Not sure about from 2020 though.

mustski

Angel Diva
Check the video in post #41 at the top of the page. It explains how to measure them yourself. It's a good thing to know how to do. Keep in mind that any good shop can shim a binding to adjust the delta angle if you have a preference.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Check the video in post #41 at the top of the page. It explains how to measure them yourself. It's a good thing to know how to do. Keep in mind that any good shop can shim a binding to adjust the delta angle if you have a preference.
But not necessarily as much as you want it shimmed.. :(

mustski

Angel Diva
But not necessarily as much as you want it shimmed.. :(
Interesting. Bud Heishmann thought it would be no problem to adjust my Warden 11 (+5.5) to match the delta angle of my Griffin Demo (-1). I chose to sell instead but now I wonder?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Interesting. Bud Heishmann thought it would be no problem to adjust my Warden 11 (+5.5) to match the delta angle of my Griffin Demo (-1). I chose to sell instead but now I wonder?
Not sure about the Warden in particular.. but when I inquired about the Squire and Attacks (which I was told are very easy bindings to shim based on materials available for them) I was told you could shim to 2 or 4mm in the toe. This gets you to +1 for Squires and 0 for Attacks, which might be close enough.. but can’t get to negative. He said 6mm would be too much.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always been sensitive but this year in new boots, I was able to adapt OK, but it still wasn't great. The worst is still a high delta and a forward mount ski. Oy!
I'm beginning to think the forward mount may be what I'm suddenly feeling on my Ripsticks. I measured the delta on my Attacks and it's not crazy. Unless I measured incorrectly it looked like +3.
My bsl this year dropped by 8mm so now my boot center is ahead of the line. I'm wondering if I'm sitting back to compensate for feeling too far forward . . .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna