• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rambling, hobbling num

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hoping all goes well for you Num !

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey ladies, just wanted to check in. Surgery went well, dressing change with the physical therapist tomorrow, and starting pt for real and an appointment with ortho on Monday. Woohoo!

Thanks for all the support and well wishes. More later, time to crash.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Hi Num: By the time you read this, I hope you're saying everything went easier than you'd feared, as I did when I had both my ankles worked on from ski boot damage. I think the waiting was worse than anything before!!! It's all improvement from here! :thumbsup:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
YAY NUM! Really glad you checked in with report. IT'S OVER! Well, phase 1, anyway. The important thing is that everything went as hoped/planned re: the surgery.

Some tough days ahead, but keep that tunnel vision in clear focus for the future. We are all thinking about and rooting for you!!

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Num, glad you are in recovery mode now!
Keep your vision on the hills/mountains, covered with snow, that you will be cruising next winter !

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey everyone, here's an update:

Day of surgery wasn't so bad, and the day after was alright, but since I left for that dressing change Friday afternoon it'd gone downhill. It's a bit disappointing that so far it's been getting worse with time, instead of better. Actually, I think it'd be more accurate to say it got worse, then leveled off. The low point was a near fainting spell yesterday morning and hanging out with my head in the sink for two hours trying (and succeeding! yes!) to stay conscious, but since then I've kept away from nearly fainting and that's definitely good. I'd thought about calling the doctor then, but since I haven't had an episode that severe since I decided to wait until my Monday appointment unless something new and concerning comes up, or the fainting stuff repeats itself.

My first round of pt is tomorrow, immediately followed by an appointment with my ortho. It's gonna be my first long(ish) drive, as my doctor is at his suburban office on Mondays. He works with two physical therapists, one in the same plaza as his suburban office and one in the same building as his city office. I met the city pt on Friday and will be meeting the suburban one on Monday. I'm looking forward to it. We're scheduled for 45 minutes. For those who have had aclrs, how painful was your first round of pt?

Hi Num -- that sounds awful, but remember that your body is expelling all those fluids that were pumped into you during surgery. I had some very up and down days that first week, and now a month after surgery, I still get tired at night and the PT exercizes that I have to rebuild my abs seem like they should be so easy but they take whatever muscle and stamina I can muster.

I would plan that you will be totally exhausted tomorrow night. Try to walk and move around with as little exertion as possible to save your stamina for the drive. At least the parking will be easier at the suburban office, right?

I've had experience with PT twice, once 4 years ago when my knees were giving me trouble (turned out to be weak quad strength after a year of inactivity due to my house fire and general life demands) and now post-surgery for my abs and alignment (my decision to ask for PT this time before I started working out again). Both times the exercises have been very gentle and effective, so pain hasn't been an issue. It will feel so good to you to have a plan and exercises to follow. It will help you feel that you're moving forward.

Keep us posted (literally!), ok?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Darn it, num, what a bummer for you. Are you taking any pain meds? They are renown for litanies of side effects. Definitely mention this to the dr. Could be related to the anesthesia, also your elevated pulse rate (which would have been slowed by anesthesia). Be careful, and take care of yourself!! As far as I can recall via family member, early pt is merely gentle stuff to start to regain range of motion, measured in degrees, all of which will become familiar numbers to you in these early weeks.

Ditto above, please keep us updated.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG - I can't believe you nearly fainted! Is anyone hanging out with or regularly checking in on you? And is anyone driving you tomorrow, or are you doing that yourself?? Sorry for all the mom-like questions, it's just that the near-faint sounds scary, and I'd hate to have you be on your own.

hoodgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with everything posted above. I am so sorry that you had a difficult couple of days. (it will get better Num, I promise!!:smile: )
Don't be afraid of the first PT visit. They will not hurt you and will mostly check out where you are on ROM and give you some gentle exercises to do. TYou will do fine!

Take care and take it easy.

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Num,
I'll be 6 weeks post-op on Thursday.
I had a couple of dizzy spells too but not so soon. I had one in the shower when I finally could shower and then one a few days later outside on one crutch. I barely made it back to the house and when I got there I was soaked with sweat. I figured it was either low blood pressure or blood sugar. In any case, I got some juice and laid down for a little while.
I love the PT. The homecare PT was pretty gentle. What I'm doing now involves a lot of the same stuff you do in pilates, lot of leg lifts to strengthen all the muscles around the knee and the hip joints. I've also been doing the exercise bike and leg presses and hip ab and adductors plus just started some of the proprioception balance stuff. Take full advantage of the ice machine. Did your Dr. order a passive motion machine for you (CPM). It's tedious but gets you greater range of motion quickly. Hope your feeling better soon. You won't believe how much better you'll be in a few weeks. I'm back at work full time now (started a few hours after 2 weeks or so). It takes a while to get your strength back. I still get tired pretty easily.
Good luck!!!
Jane

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone!

I have friends/fam on a rotation (:love: love them :love:) and if ever I'm alone and in a particularly precarious state, I get on the phone with one of em and let em know whats going on, so they can keep tabs and do something if necessary.

Thought now would be a good time to catch up on diva stuff, but it turns out exhaustion is winning this round. I'm currently at that 8 words out of ten need to be retyped point. At least I got to see Robyn's birthday thread!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hang in there, num -- first week post-op is a be-yotch, for sure. We're all thinking of you!!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Num,
Sorry to hear you are going through so much but happy to know that your surgery is moving forward.

Having a doctor you feel really good about makes a big difference, doesn't it? I think your idea for a list is a great one!

My husband has had a couple of knee and shoulder surgeries and we joke about his doctor practically being a member of the family...my husband thinks he's great! So, if you happen to be in the CA. Bay Area looking for an orthopedic surgeon, my husband would recommend Dr. Thabit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga