• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question about Tahoe Conditions. Where to Ski?

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry about Pugski, @SallyCat. I love Tricia and Phil and the people there FWIW, and found Pugski folks incredibly helpful when I was planning my last trip there. And of course Divas here were great with sharing insights well.

I’m emabarrased to say that I am now overdue on two Tahoe trip reports, one from April 2017 and one from December. Looking forward to seeing yours!

I’m trying to remember what I demoed in April... Definitely Santa Anas, which I was surprised that I hated. Loved the wider Line skis for powder and crud which Tahoe Dave recommended for me. Also tried some K2s, maybe All Luv It, which were better for me than the SAs but not as good as the Lines for the conditions.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
orry about Pugski, @SallyCat. I love the people there FWIW, and found them incredibly helpful.

Oh, me, too! The fault was entirely mine, and my self-imposed ban was totally my decision. I have nothing but fondness and gratitude for all the help I've received on Pugski and have skied with some wonderful people I met there.

I'm curious about the Rossi Soul 7 and the Volkl Mantra as well as the Blizzard Sheeva. I'll have to see where I end up and what's available. I can't wait!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Awesome, thanks!

I uh, don't post on PugSki anymore. I have a tendency to joke around on forums, and something I posted on Pug really landed wrong and offended some (a lot of?) people, which I felt terrible about. So I made myself "inactive" there (no posting privileges) so I won't be tempted to bumble into that mistake again. Also trying to post less overall and stick to questions/advice.

I WILL post a Diva trip report from Tahoe, though!
Well, for heaven's sake don't stop posting here! I like reading your stuff.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Holy snowstorm! I actually had to change my plans because if the incoming snow. Long story short, I may end up with TWO ski days and guess who has a valid Cali4nia Pass!? THIS DIVA!

I'm thinking of driving down to June Mountain for the weekend. The only issue is how bad the roads will be, but I will have AWD and snow tires.*

I could obviously go to Mammoth, too, but I figured June would be less crowded. Maybe I'll do a say at each.

Has anyone done the Reno-to-Mammoth drive in snow?

*Side note: I rented through Turo, which seems to be a sort of AirBnB for cars, but with an insurance policy. It was the only way I could guarantee AWD and snow tires. The airport chains wouldn't promise them. Has anyone used that service?

newboots

Angel Diva
*Side note: I rented through Turo, which seems to be a sort of AirBnB for cars, but with an insurance policy. It was the only way I could guarantee AWD and snow tires. The airport chains wouldn't promise them. Has anyone used that service?

I saw an ad for them on TV; they should point out how you can get AWD and snow tires! The commercial made it seem like "hey, look! You can rent a sports car!" and the first thing I saw on their website was a Maserati. Sounds like a good option.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
saw an ad for them on TV; they should point out how you can get AWD and snow tires! The commercial made it seem like "hey, look! You can rent a sports car!" and the first thing I saw on their website was a Maserati. Sounds like a good option.

So far it's been good. I spoke directly with the owner of the car and verified the drive train and tires, and she is going to deliver it to the airport.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So far it's been good. I spoke directly with the owner of the car and verified the drive train and tires, and she is going to deliver it to the airport.

I remember reading of good experiences with Turo a few years ago.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@SallyCat please post about your Mammoth/June trip.

Note that there are 3 mountain passes between Reno and Mammoth. Check the Caltrans road report and consider your options. They are expecting a lot of snow and low snow levels on Thursday and Friday.

I'm sure that Tahoe skiers will chime in here about road conditions. But if you can make it down, skiing June on Saturday and Mammoth on Sunday will be your best bet.

Message me if you'd like some thoughts about skiing at Mammoth.

Be careful and have fun.

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, @skibum4ever !

With apologies for turning this thread into a real-time Travelocity customer service call, I changed plans yet again. Oy!
The final itinerary is to fly into Reno on Saturday night, then ski Sunday in the North Lake Tahoe area.
Business meeting Monday and fly back Tuesday. Thank you all so much for all of your advice and feedback.

So I'll have just one day of skiing, but it should be awesome given the snowstorm that's coming! And I don't mind anyway, because the following week is our spring break and I'll be in Vermont alternating skiing (I hope! C'mon weather!) with helping my mom pack up her house in preparation for her exciting new adventure.

The past couple of months have been a wild ride. I'm looking forward to knowing what the future holds, but I haven't crossed that finish line yet, so I'm just plugging along, staying positive and sneaking in skiing whenever I can!

Again, thank you all for your input and encouragement!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@SallyCat glad to hear of your change in plans. Even my macho husband was nervous about you taking that drive on Friday night.

You will get to ski Mammoth in a couple of weeks. Have a safe trip and a wonderful ski adventure.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Coming in Saturday and skiing Sunday is a much safer bet. I expect that beginning this evening through Saturday morning (and then the drive to any resort) will be slow/an utter cluster. If you plan poorly, it can take 2 to 3 hours to get from downtown Truckee to either Squaw or Alpine. The roads to all resorts are 2-lane roads, so if there is an accident ahead, there are no other options. The access road to Alpine closes for avalanche control. I expect 80 to close at some point, probably Friday.

This won't be an issue for you given your revised timing, but for future reference, if there is chain control on the interstate, you will need chains, otherwise you will need to stop/you will not be allowed to proceed. I don't think there are actually checkpoints on smaller roads. On 80, there are licensed guys (usually they are guys) before chain control who sell and/or put on chains for you. The caveat: many car rental places do not allow you to put on chains and newer cars that have tire sensors will be affected when chains get put on them. Something that is often overlooked is that even if there is no chain control on the freeway, many neighborhoods will not have their roads plowed immediately, and it will be very difficult to drive without chains or traction tires. AWD and 4WD mean little without good tires. Driving in the neighborhoods on Sunday could still be difficult without good tires.

Even on Sunday, you'll want park over an hour before lifts start spinning, otherwise you will be sitting in that 2-hour resort traffic.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Last edited:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....and 80 is currently closed between Colfax and Nevada. Colfax is pretty low - this is quite the storm! It's ripping all the branches off the trees in my neighborhood.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
....and 80 is currently closed between Colfax and Nevada. Colfax is pretty low - this is quite the storm! It's ripping all the branches off the trees in my neighborhood.
Wow! It's pouring here in Santa Cruz!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh my, you all are going to stare daggers at your screen after all the help you provided, but I decided not to ski! :bag: It seems that I've been afflicted with a bout of Responsible Decision Making. It's awful.

I worked like a demon on the way out trying to get caught up for work and prepare for my meetings tomorrow, but I just couldn't do it. If I'd tried to ski, first of all I would have had to drive up here in an early-morning snowfall with only all-weather tires. And second I would have been constantly anxious about work stuff.

One thing I DID do, though, was to stop by the Start Haus and speak to Jim about my boots. He was great, and I highly recommend him; he spent a lot of time with me and was willing to problem solve the boots I have now and work out some solutions. But he also referred me to a boot I'd not heard of (Lange's World Cup RP ZJ plus). Then he referred me to a couple of bootfitters back east (Nick at Mt. Snow and Marc Stewart at Windham) who he said could help me with those if I decided to go that route. Really great experience overall; I have a slightly better fit to get through this year, and some solid recommendations for my next step. It wasn't skiing, but it was definitely time well spent.

Now back to work!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna