• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Quality vs. Quantity

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
While many of us are practically panting to get out on the hill (I know some of us have already, so don't gloat!), take a moment and reflect:

Which is more important to you, quantity of ski days or quality of ski days?

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Quality matters more to me, but I take what I can get. I can't afford to be picky when I only have a couple of weeks out of the year to ski.

When I move out west, I will likely only ski on weekdays and when the conditions are decent.

Snowsong

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At this point in my life, quanitity. I'm afraid as I get older, quality may become more important, so I want to ski as much as I can while I am able. I'm sure that when I'm older, as long as I can ski, any day on the slope will be a good day.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
quantity for me now-I think skiing all types of conditions helps to round me out as a skier.But I still love a powder day!!

Terry

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you don't go to the slopes you don't know if it is going to be a good day or not. Lots of times the forcast and snow reports would discourage you from going if you let them.So go lots of times and stay longer when the conditions are great is my preference.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lilgeorg said:
If you don't go to the slopes you don't know if it is going to be a good day or not. Lots of times the forcast and snow reports would discourage you from going if you let them.So go lots of times and stay longer when the conditions are great is my preference.
Good point, Lilgeorg. Plus, it may discourage other skiers as well, giving you an uncrowded mountain.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Quantity for me. Living in the Mid-Atlantic I can't afford to be picky. All my skiing is done on trips or when the weather is cold enough here to blow snow.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Quantity for me too....every ski day is a good day.

Some of our best days have been in the rain!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
volklgirl said:
Quantity for me too....every ski day is a good day.

Some of our best days have been in the rain!
Kris, you read my mind!

Daniel said to me one day last season.
"Tricia, you always say , 'this is the best ski day ever' no matter, when its snowing, when its raining. Do you ever have a bad ski day?"

Jilly

Staff member
A bad of skiing still beats a bad day at the office. Quantity for me too. But I don't have to ski all day if its bad, since I have a season pass and we have a condo on the hill. I'll go home and do housework, yeah right!!

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
quantity

i'm not that type of "i only ski when the sun is shining". as some said before, skiing under different conditions can just improve your skills.
for me the quality of my trips defenitely depends on me and my skiing. sure, you can't influence the weather, but i'm "responsible" for my skiing. and if i ski at my best it always would be good quality for me.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Quantity ski days. I try tio get iin as much as possible during the season. But, a ski day makes any day a quality day!:thumbsup:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Quantity ski days. I try tio get iin as much as possible during the season. But, a ski day makes any day a quality day!:thumbsup:
Let me hear all the Ski Diva's say AMEN!!!

abc

Banned
I'm probably the only one who ranks quality over quantity. Couple of reasons:

1) I'm self-employed. My time in office is money. I don't get paid unless I show up at client site. So, going skiing is a day I will lose one day pay. It'd better be worth it!

(as expensive as lift tickets and lodging, the lose of income in a day far exceeds the cost of actually skiing. A byproduct of that means it's poor economic to spend the time in-flight/enroute to skiing when I can spend a bit more to get there as fast as I can)

As a result, I don't ski early season when there's only a few trails open. Better to spend the day in the office and take the money so I can go out west in prime season.

2) In the northeast, when it's bad, it's really BAD! (read: boiler plate ICE) Been there, done that. No chance I'll risk injury at my age. It would REALLY cut my quantity if I injure myself on a lousy condition day.

Though fortunately, I don't "plan" trips when skiing northeast any more. So if the condition is bad, I don't go. Simple as that. Out west, I've yet to encounter really "bad" condition.

There has been one day in Switzerland that I didn't bother skiing (last day of the trip) due to really bad visibility. Instead, I went for some sightseeing in Lucern on my way back to Zurich. A sunny day in the foothill of the Alps with gorgeous view of alpine lakes and snow-caped mountains, is way more enjoyable than another day of skiing in white soup at crawling speed.

But then, I'm not a ski nut. I'm just a ski tourist. I like going to the mountains, and skis are merely the transport.:wink:

altagirl

Staff member
I'll go up and check it out, but if conditions are bad, I go home. At this point toughing it on bad snow just makes my knees hurt... which means when conditions improve I'll be too sore to ski as much as I want to. So there's some conservation of the knees going on.

If conditions aren't good, I go XC skiing instead.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Quality...of course I want quantity, but I say quality related to the quality of my skiing, not conditions. I'd rather do a really good quality run than 2 shi**y ones.

abc

Banned
If conditions aren't good, I go XC skiing instead.
LOL!

If it's between skiing or staying in the condo doing nothing, I bet EVERYONE will tough it out and ski the day.

The question of quality vs quantity only enters when there're other worthwhile things to do instead. While some of us will ski regardless, some would opt to do "other things" instead, being it x-c skiing, sightseeing, laundry, or shopping for more ski gear!

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
haha, laundry! NOT

If it's a really bad rainy/hailing day I think staying in the ski house and playing games with a group can be fun.

1) I'm self-employed. My time in office is money. So, going skiing is a day I will lose one day pay. It'd better be worth it!
2) In the northeast, when it's bad, it's really BAD! (read: boiler plate ICE) Been there, done that. No chance I'll risk injury at my age. It would REALLY cut my quantity if I injure myself on a lousy condition day.

Both of these reasons apply to me as well. I also don't ski in very poor visibility conditions (dense fog and white outs) and if I'm totally exhausted I won't ski for fear of injury.

I do agree with what Lilorg said below, which is that the forecast doesn't always tell you how good the snow is gonna be, so unless it's awful weather, if I've planned a day to ski, I'll usually follow through with it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga