• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

psa- go to the dentist before starting your season

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's on my mind since I just went for a cleaning today. Of course none of us intends to get injured, but I found out this spring -after- having ACL surgery that they really don't want you to have any dental work done, even cleaning, until about 6 months out from surgery. There is concern for bacteria from the mouth traveling through the blood stream, and the potential complications that might cause at the surgical sight. Just something to keep in mind...

MissySki

Angel Diva
Unfortunately though, most insurance won’t pay for cleanings more than once every 6 months. My dentist schedules for 6 months and 1 day at each appointment for that reason. So in my case my next one is not allowed until February. But at least I wasn’t there that long ago now.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was a little off schedule since I was away from home last winter. And then when I got home I was focused on my knee, until it was too late. If I had been aware of all of this, I easily could have scheduled my cleaning and other dental work for the time between when I got back home and the surgery. And the filling that the dentist said would need to be replaced at some time in the future, but could wait a bit.... that's one of those hindsight things now.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just had a dental implant and I get 3 cleanings a year. My dentist and my husband are on top of things when it comes to my dental care.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Unfortunately though, most insurance won’t pay for cleanings more than once every 6 months. My dentist schedules for 6 months and 1 day at each appointment for that reason. So in my case my next one is not allowed until February. But at least I wasn’t there that long ago now.
I go 3x a year and pay once. Insurance pays for 2x a year and I pay for the third (maybe $200)...

MissySki

Angel Diva
I go 3x a year and pay once. Insurance pays for 2x a year and I pay for the third (maybe $200)...
Yeah, my SO goes 4x per year and pays for two.. but that is due to a gum issue he has and recommendation by his dentist for the type of cleaning he needs. I’d go more if my dentist suggested it.. but so far twice per year has been sufficient I guess as it has never been brought up. Perhaps I’ll ask next time if it’s something I should consider.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am blessed in terms of only needing cleanings every 2 years or so per both my dentists.

However, another reason to get work done long before ski season is that tender teeth and cold are incompatible and quite painful.

Had a nightmare experience last season after getting 30 year old veneers redone on 8 teeth right before winter. Semi botched job on the new ones. Even smiling for 5 seconds would cause severe icing pain. No fun. 4 root canals later i can talk and smile again while skiing!

I was a tetracycline kid with half stained dark grey teeth, so nice teeth are my one luxury I splurge on with the money I saved by not tweaking my greys or wrinkles...lol.

Also had implants last year as my 2 baby teeth I nursed along for 5 decades needed to be replaced.

Hopefully done with major dental work for a while.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am blessed in terms of only needing cleanings every 2 years or so per both my dentists.

However, another reason to get work done long before ski season is that tender teeth and cold are incompatible and quite painful.

Had a nightmare experience last season after getting 30 year old veneers redone on 8 teeth right before winter. Semi botched job on the new ones. Even smiling for 5 seconds would cause severe icing pain. No fun. 4 root canals later i can talk and smile again while skiing!

I was a tetracycline kid with half stained dark grey teeth, so nice teeth are my one luxury I splurge on with the money I saved by not tweaking my greys or wrinkles...lol.

Also had implants last year as my 2 baby teeth I nursed along for 5 decades needed to be replaced.

Hopefully done with major dental work for a while.
Ouch, that sounds awful! Glad it is all taken care of now. I can semi relate to the cold hurting your teeth skiing piece, I had braces as an adult and when it was really cold I could not open my mouth while skiing. I guess the metal would just get so cold and it was a total zing throughout my mouth, it really hurt!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Ha! Thought about a cold sensitive molar I have as ski season approaches. At my 6month cleaning 2 weeks ago my dentist found decay. So yesterday, she attempted filling, but sadly the tooth has had much work done and is a mere shell of its former self. So, she could not eradicate decay without getting too close to pulp. She placed a temporary crown and recommended root canal ASAP like today or tomorrow, since she too is a skier. She knows I'm planning trip to Maine to ski this weekend and "not great to have a painful tooth or dental crisis" up in the mountains of Maine. Endodontist had no openings today, and tomorrow I'm working, so I will ski with temporary crown and hope for the best. Forecast is in the 30s, so tooth won't face bitter cold. Yay!

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My dentist wants me to get implants for the area in the back of my mouth. I'm hesitant because they are in the back, noone sees them and I can eat fine. My job however, gives us $2,500 per year for dental work outside of our regular dental coverage. Given this I'm thinking of it since I can't use the money for anything else. A couple implants will be upwards of $5 grand so working something out to start at the end of december and finish in January so that I could utilize $5,000 and then use flex dollars to pay for any over that.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Trailside Trixie you never mentioned the why of implants? Seems like a big invasive procedure if there is no medical need or major cosmetic one.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just been to the hygienist- and it has been far too long as I was due to go a couple years ago! Thankfully no changes since then - I normally have mild gingivitis every time I show up and get reminded about how I should floss more regularly, so that was par for the course. I am thinking about getting one of those water flossers as well, although I know they don’t replace floss/interdental brushes.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Dentists have always advised me to get cleanings 4 times per year as my saliva causes heavy tartar build up. Years ago a hygienist advised me that many insurance plans will only allow two cleanings per year, but will also allow an additional two cleanings from a periodontist. This has worked for me for years, so if you need 4 cleanings per year, this is worth looking into.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Also of note, after a stroke, you have to wait a specific amount of time (6 months?) before a dental cleaning. I learned this when we had to reschedule my MIL's dental cleaning appt in April when they found out she'd had a stroke the prior November.

I'm on Invisalign orthodontic treatment right now. I'm enjoying them and already seeing results, but at my last cleaning, I had gingivitis. So now I swish w diluted peroxide and floss more carefully. I'm compliant about no food/drink while wearing and brushing after.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga