• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pre-season conditioning.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Skier's Edge is setup and ready for use. So I hopped on it last night for my first workout. I was unsure what target to set myself, five minutes of intense, or twenty minutes of aerobic.

Short of time I decided on the short and intense just to get me started. After slacking off the tension to beginner's level I tried again and this time I got the thing moving (think of a shuttle carriage with a very big elastic band on each side). Boy, that thing is tough work. You stand in skier's position and keep your upper body still whilst pushing the foot platforms with the inside of your outside foot - mimicking a carving motion.

I did a hundred turns and had to stop. Went back later and did a hundred more, and did a hundred in my PJs (and athletic shoes) this morning. It's like the first run of the season - really tough work!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skier's Edge is pretty cool. I had to use one for physical therapy with my ankle 8 years ago (before I was a skier) and it was my favorite part of PT. :D

I've realized that in the last month, I've lost the fitness that I gained early in the summer. I was humbled Sunday when I went for a run and couldn't make it one mile. Then again, it was WAY humid and hot, and I was a little emotional at the time. But still... I have my work cut out for me. Even though I'm still having some pain in my ribs with deep breathing, it's time to whip this butt back into shape. I'm looking for 10 more lbs lost, and then just fitness/conditioning for ski season. That's not too much to ask for, is it? :D

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skier's Edge is pretty cool. I had to use one for physical therapy with my ankle 8 years ago (before I was a skier) and it was my favorite part of PT. :D

I've realized that in the last month, I've lost the fitness that I gained early in the summer. I was humbled Sunday when I went for a run and couldn't make it one mile. Then again, it was WAY humid and hot, and I was a little emotional at the time. But still... I have my work cut out for me. Even though I'm still having some pain in my ribs with deep breathing, it's time to whip this butt back into shape. I'm looking for 10 more lbs lost, and then just fitness/conditioning for ski season. That's not too much to ask for, is it? :D

Ugh, Carrie, I know how it feels. I've had a rough couple of weeks as far as getting my workouts in for various reasons and it's frustrating when I'm more tired than I should be after something. Or when my shoulder hurts while swimming or whatever else. To top it off my knee is reacting to the cooler weather as well. But, you'll likely get your fitness level back up much quicker than it came initially.

altagirl

Staff member
The speed skating experiment has been kicking my butt. I "graduated" from the intro class last week and this week started doing the STEP 1 classes, which are MWF evenings for an hour and a half instead of the 45 min intro classes.

It's so much harder than it looked like it would be. I mean - I can do crossover turns all day on figure skates, but it's taken me 4 lessons to be able to make it around a corner doing crossovers on speed skates without having to recover and try not to fall in the middle of it.

But it's my favorite kind of workout. One where I'm so focused on technique and figuring out what I'm doing that I don't even notice it half the time. Until I got home and as usual after skating, could barely walk up the stairs. :smile: Good stuff!

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The speed skating experiment has been kicking my butt. I "graduated" from the intro class last week and this week started doing the STEP 1 classes, which are MWF evenings for an hour and a half instead of the 45 min intro classes.

It's so much harder than it looked like it would be. I mean - I can do crossover turns all day on figure skates, but it's taken me 4 lessons to be able to make it around a corner doing crossovers on speed skates without having to recover and try not to fall in the middle of it.

But it's my favorite kind of workout. One where I'm so focused on technique and figuring out what I'm doing that I don't even notice it half the time. Until I got home and as usual after skating, could barely walk up the stairs. :smile: Good stuff!

Has anyone tried street skis?

Just curious. I have not.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have not tried the street skis, but I've seen a few people use them around the Golden/Lookout Mountain area. Looks intense.

jessie.says.that

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually swim, run, and practice yoga in the off-season, but I don't think any of this will improve my balance.

Any ideas on exercises for balance improvement?

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
very vigorous. I've only done it for one week, so I'll have to see if it makes a difference than the more moderate exercise regime that I've done in the past. It does seem to make me crave carbohydrates more.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It will make a difference in alot if ways,we tend to be complacent in our regular workouts.Jason will push you to the limit every time.What times are you going there?

T

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am going after work around 5:30 PM. Trying to get myself to the morning 5:30 Am without success so far. Went to 7 Am on Saturday. The early classes are better because they are less crowded. Are you thinking of heading back there this summer?

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup,I have just been putting it off-running alot and sometimes doing both is challenging.But I do like it and I will be back.Normally I go to the 4:30 class which is loaded with hardcores,but not overly crowded.

T

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually swim, run, and practice yoga in the off-season, but I don't think any of this will improve my balance.

Get (or use) a BOSU ball. I do lots of stuff on it: you can balance one-legged, do squats, stand on it while doing bicep curls, etc etc. into infinity, I think.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
crossfit is really pushing me to develop strength. So far so good.

Well I finally made it back to CF today.It was really great and I wish I had gotten back sooner.

If any of you can try out Crossfit in your area...do it!

T

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I tried Turbo Kick Boxing for the first time yesterday. Cardiovascularly I was fine through the whole class but between choreography and the explosive movments it totally kicked my arse. I think it will be good to add it into my routine 1x per week in addition to my running/cycling/weightlifting. Hopefully I'll be able to get more explosive movement into it as I learn the choreography and moves.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva

Wow, I think of several yoga poses that are excellent for balance -- tree, all the warriors, eagle. The list is endless, really. I know my balance began to improve tremendously after taking up yoga. But, I also agree that Bosu balls are fantastic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna