• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Powder skis?

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
Today I demoed some powder skis for the first time (Rossignol Rallybird 102). I do not know what I was doing wrong but I could not move these things. In deep untracked not so steep terrain, it was a dream. But on the steeper stuff, ooof, I felt like I couldn’t move to turn. Part of it was the weight of the demo bindings but I’m wondering if there is a good lightweight powder ski I should try. I am not a good powder skier but I really want to learn.
(It is helps I usually ski on a 2018 Yumis which is 84 underfoot or Elan insomnia which are 78 underfoot. Maybe the jump to 102 was too much?)

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today I demoed some powder skis for the first time (Rossignol Rallybird 102). I do not know what I was doing wrong but I could not move these things. In deep untracked not so steep terrain, it was a dream. But on the steeper stuff, ooof, I felt like I couldn’t move to turn. Part of it was the weight of the demo bindings but I’m wondering if there is a good lightweight powder ski I should try. I am not a good powder skier but I really want to learn.
(It is helps I usually ski on a 2018 Yumis which is 84 underfoot or Elan insomnia which are 78 underfoot. Maybe the jump to 102 was too much?)
Blizzard SHEEVA'S 9's or 10's dreamy powder skis, great float, easy peasy turning...

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Moment is known for their stable, nimble and yet light powder skis and I absolutely love my big mountain skis from them at 95 waist in my length of 162 cm. I got the Moment Sierras for more of an all mountain and powder ski, and the Moment Bella’s are thicker and even more powder specialized. My Sierras turn incredibly well in deep powder and the bumps, which is a lot of what I ride!
My skis on the left, husbands Elan Truflex skis on the right:
D5CD384A-3276-4B51-A72A-CCBEEFA716E4.jpeg
I recommend giving their line a look, their skis are very light, lighter than any of the skis I demoed, yet stable at high speeds. It’s seriously impressive. And their skis are on sale at Evo right now if they have the right skis in your length! Recommend doing research and reading reviews, there is a lot of detailed stuff on them out there on Blister and on their website.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Moment is known for their stable, nimble and yet light powder skis and I absolutely love my big mountain skis from them at 95 waist in my length of 162 cm. I got the Moment Sierras for more of an all mountain and powder ski, and the Moment Bella’s are thicker and even more powder specialized. My Sierras turn incredibly well in deep powder and the bumps, which is a lot of what I ride!
My skis on the left, husbands Elan Truflex skis on the right:
View attachment 20879
I recommend giving their line a look, their skis are very light, lighter than any of the skis I demoed, yet stable at high speeds. It’s seriously impressive. And their skis are on sale at Evo right now if they have the right skis in your length! Recommend doing research and reading reviews, there is a lot of detailed stuff on them out there on Blister and on their website.
How do you not love a ski manufacturer that says this?

1679702191787.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Was the snow dry fluffy powder or heavier? The Rallybird has a lot of camber and a fair amount of side-cut. Even though it's relatively wide, doesn't look like skis more oriented to deep snow. For comparison, take a look at the rocker-camber-rocker shape of something like the DPS Pagoda at a similar width.

I've had a good time with DPS skis when demo'ing at Alta during late season or renting a few times for a mid-season snowstorm. Eventually bought a pair of used Zeldas from a Diva who lives in big mountain country.

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
Another vote for DPS here — I demoed the Pagoda 106 C2 and was blown away at what a difference that ski makes in deep powder. I couldn’t justify buying it (unfortunately, I don’t live somewhere where deep powder is my normal reality!), but if I were routinely in powder, I’d buy that ski in a heartbeat.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the Sheeva recommendations- but also look at the men’s version the Rustlers- the shorter lengths on the men’s version go on clearance more often - that’s how I got mine.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some of it could definitely be stance. The Rallybird has a moderately stiff tail that’s also on the flatter side. If you’re in a confident stance leaning forward, you’re pressuring the soft spot on the ski, through the tips and shovels. If you’re in intimidating terrain, it’s easy to shift into the backseat so you can land on your hips or booty if you take a fall. But that means the pressure and bend are applied to the back half of the ski. Some skis are designed with some softness in the tail so they’ll acquiesce when we’re skiing scared. But that comes with a stability trade off, so other brands make it stiff.

The Rallybird 102 is more of a wide all-mountain design, with width and shovels that handle powder, but the back half permits speedy skiing on groomers. In comparison, the Sheeva 10 puts stiff, strong laminates near the binding zone and softens the ski in the tail. They still feel best when skied with confident form, but they don’t put up too much of a fight when you need to ski defensively. Genesis 101 & 106 and Icelantic Maidens would also be on my list as skis that make learning powder an easier process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga