• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Playful but stable 90-something mm ski?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Re: the Black Pearl length - I demo'd the 2019 last March, got on both lengths: 159 and 166. I thought the 159 felt a little squirrely, at least for me. Of course, I was in late season "shape" at that point?? For me, 5'5 125ish (on a good day now), the 166 had more stability.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take a look at Kastle FX85 (on sale at STP btw) and Armada Victa 87 Ti (even better sale on evo). Not quite 90s, but I think you would like them for what you're looking for. (Also agree with the Sheeva recommendation!)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@pinto I love the Armada Victa 87ti - great ski Hoping to try the Sheeva 9!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lisamamot
Black Crow Camox Birdie 18m radius. This is my daily driver on mountain when there is 'snow' - super fun magical float in soft snow/wind buff. Skied them on hard groomed to knee deep powder last year. Can carve hard but playful is its vocabulary. Dreamy in the trees and lighter snow, zippy on groomers.

Elan Ripstick 94 15 Radius. My AT set up ski. LIGHT. Does it WELL in ANY condition. I've ridden these skis in crap, groomers, ice, and back country knee deep + pow. does it all. Better on the carve than the Black crow. lighter may be better on your knees. DH says I can lay down some tracks on these despite being in AT boots on the mountain. Easy fun, but more "stable" than magical floaty if that makes sense - which is a really good thing back country ;) lol.

I don't really do groomers, live in the trees and off piste when on mountain, and take into consideration sierra cement that I ski - but both these skis would both be amazing in lighter snow.
try to demo both. Also try the narrow version of the camox the Captis Birdie - which is 90mm that may work well for what you want -- I know several women who love this in the trees etc. as a daily driver.

And I have to say please also try the Armada series -- DD has the Trace and I love that ski - but some thing armada maybe a bit narrower may be perfect for you - lighter and more playful.

Not sure about the Icelantic skied short last year and heavy. I know your looking for light and I understand the knee issue - and well, thats why I broke down and bought a 80mm ski for carving LOL.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Thought this was a good comparison of 90mm or so skis. Check it out!
https://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/Comparing-Womens-90mm-All-Mountain-Skis-2019
That is fantastic! Adding a couple to my list.

I got on a few skis yesterday...

2019 Black Pearl 88 166 - I got along with it and it did everything well; would have liked to try in the 173 but they didn’t have that or the Bushwacker. Better on hard snow than the previous version. Not sure why but it isn’t the one for me.
2018 K2 Fulluvit 95ti 170 - this would be a fun east coast powder/take west ski that I would put in the same category as my pre-metal Santa Ana 100. Skis quite short with its significant tip rocker. Edges well on firm groomers; fine stability but I had to stop myself from looking at the flopping tips. With how the tip rises up it must be very fun in new snow.
2019 Santa Ana 93 169 - same impression I had last time. Lost the fun factor of the pre-metal version but has great stability and edge hold; a solid all mountain ski.
2019 Vantage 90 ti 169 - a super hero ski - stiff and damp. It was happy being driven really hard. I expect it would crush variable conditions but with the stiff feel, very little tip rocker, and no tail rocker it just isn’t my style ski.

My favorite of the day was the one I brought with me - my daughter’s 2013 Dynastar Exclusive Legend Eden, lol.

On my list to try....somehow my list isn’t getting shorter
  • Head Kore 93 171 - want to try again since I really loved it when I tried it last spring
  • Blizzard Sheeva 9 172
  • Elan Ripstick 94 170
  • Salomon QST Lux 92 169
  • Rossignol Experience 88 ti 166/173
  • Black Crowes Captis Birdie 171

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is fantastic! Adding a couple to my list.

I got on a few skis yesterday...

2019 Black Pearl 88 166 - I got along with it and it did everything well; would have liked to try in the 173 but they didn’t have that or the Bushwacker. Better on hard snow than the previous version. Not sure why but it isn’t the one for me.
2018 K2 Fulluvit 95ti 170 - this would be a fun east coast powder/take west ski that I would put in the same category as my pre-metal Santa Ana 100. Skis quite short with its significant tip rocker. Edges well on firm groomers; fine stability but I had to stop myself from looking at the flopping tips. With how the tip rises up it must be very fun in new snow.
2019 Santa Ana 93 169 - same impression I had last time. Lost the fun factor of the pre-metal version but has great stability and edge hold; a solid all mountain ski.
2019 Vantage 90 ti 169 - a super hero ski - stiff and damp. It was happy being driven really hard. I expect it would crush variable conditions but with the stiff feel, very little tip rocker, and no tail rocker it just isn’t my style ski.

My favorite of the day was the one I brought with me - my daughter’s 2013 Dynastar Exclusive Legend Eden, lol.

On my list to try....somehow my list isn’t getting shorter
  • Head Kore 93 171 - want to try again since I really loved it when I tried it last spring
  • Blizzard Sheeva 9 172
  • Elan Ripstick 94 170
  • Salomon QST Lux 92 169
  • Rossignol Experience 88 ti 166/173
  • Black Crowes Captis Birdie 171
My better half has a pair of those Dynastars out in the garage. I keep telling him we should sell them, as they were a very popular ski! Or maybe I need to dust them off just for an early season "rock ski" :thumbsup:
The Experience 88 might be right up your alley, since the BP 88 wasn't quite it but did everything well, and the Santa Ana 93 kind of lost the "fun factor" with the metal version. I still want to get out on some of those E88s in a length shorter than 166, as it was a bit much for me at that length.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@WaterGirl , I have wanted to try a Black Crows ski for years now, but around here there just aren't any demos to be had. The 90mm width of the Captis Birdie is right in the range I am looking at....but that would be an un-skied purchase. Wish I could read more about them but there is very little out there. Sigh.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@WaterGirl , I have wanted to try a Black Crows ski for years now, but around here there just aren't any demos to be had. The 90mm width of the Captis Birdie is right in the range I am looking at....but that would be an un-skied purchase. Wish I could read more about them but there is very little out there. Sigh.

I was thinking the same thing because I keep seeing them mentioned on this site, but haven't ever seen anything on them locally. I did just find that Ken Jones does carry them, too bad they haven't been at the demo days though! Might be worth talking to the owners at the demo to see if they have or know of a way to try them.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
@lisamamot looks like they are available for demo in Aspen too.. though I know you were looking for something before then.. they also have the Icelandic Maiden, making me want to do a demo day there!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have them too..just sayin
If I didn't have my Santa Ana 100 the Camox Birdie would be singing to me, lol.

@MissySki when I checked Aspen demos I saw the Camox Birdie (not the Captis Birdie) and the longest is the 165. I ran into the same thing with length the last time I tried to demo in Aspen. Very frustrating.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If I didn't have my Santa Ana 100 the Camox Birdie would be singing to me, lol.

@MissySki when I checked Aspen demos I saw the Camox Birdie (not the Captis Birdie) and the longest is the 165. I ran into the same thing with length the last time I tried to demo in Aspen. Very frustrating.

Oh boo, I didn't check sizing :(

For me, wanting to replace my Rossi S7w, the Camox Birdie in the 165 is very interesting.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga