• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"Picking" a Tune

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Basic question from someone who's never waxed or tuned her own skis: How do I know what type of tune to ask for? For all intents and purposes, I have one or two skis that I use primarily on the Ice Coast and one or two that I can choose to take west. Would I want a different tune on each given the different conditions I'll encounter? Is there an "all purpose" tune suitable for east and west assuming I had only a quiver of one?

For example, I've skied my Volkl Blaze 86 both east and west w/no issues. This is their 3d season (approximately 40-50/days per season). While I wax them consistently, they haven't had a full tune since I bought them. I'm planning to take them to Revelstoke at the end of the month and don't know (a) whether I should get them tuned, and (b) if I do, should I get them tuned before I leave or take care of it out there?

All these questions that I should already know the answers to . . .

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Usually, a 1 degree base bevel and a 2 degree (or 88 deg, same thing) side bevel is suitable for majority of recreational skiers in the majority of conditions. If you want a little bit more grip in firmer/icier conditions then a 3 degree (aka 87 deg) side bevel is going to be more ideal.

For racing (usually slalom and GS) and more expert level skiing/high edge angle carving some people prefer even grippier base bevels (either 0.7 or 0.5) but these can feel very catchy and be much less forgiving.

I am a fellow ice coast skier and usually make a trip or two out west a year and personally like to keep mine at a 1 deg base bevel and 3 degree side bevel and then detune the tips and tails a little bit on my all-mountain skis so they are less catchy in powder whereas I don't detune the tips and tails on my skinny frontside skis. I personally like the gripper 3 degree side bevel as 1) that's just what I'm used to and 2) even out west and on powder days you'll still often encounter slick wind swept areas and scraped off groomers, esp in high traffic areas and I like having that bit of extra grip. I previously tried a 0.7 deg base bevel on my frontside skis and while they were great for carving on ice if you weren't on your game so to speak I found it pretty easy to catch an edge but depending on the type of skiing you do and your ability that might not be an issue.

All that being said, a lot of it at the end of the day comes down to personal preference and the only way to know for sure is to try some different tunes and see what you prefer yourself.

Jilly

Staff member
I had my skis tuned by a SideCut pro. I now have a sticker that states 1 - 3 on it.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a 1 degree base and 3 degree edge - when I had that put on my narrow skis it was a great confidence booster on icy days.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
1 base 3 edge on all my skis (85mm-93mm).

MissySki

Angel Diva
I also go with 1/3 on all of my skis. Great on ice in the East and work just fine West as well.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've a 1/3 on my narrowest skis and 1/2 on all the rest, except for the fattest skis, which have the factory tune (no clue what that is!).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna