• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Palisades (Tahoe)

mustski

Angel Diva
What about the Saddle off KT? That’s a pretty easy black.
Easy enough to ski but filled with every yahoo on the planet who wants to go home and say they skied K2. I avoid that run like the plague. In facf, we prefer to download via the funitel rather than ski Mountain Run which takes us right below Saddle and everyone careening out of control at Mach Schnell onto Mountain Run.

We generally ride the funi up first thing and warm up with a few runs on Gold Coast, which is right outside the funi. We then move to Siberia (if it's not looking stupid crazy) and do a few runs there before heading to Shirley Lake, Solitude, and Granite Chief. If Siberia is stupid busy, we head straight to Shirley Lake, Solitude, and Granite Chief. If the snow is nice and soft, Solitude is a great off piste blue area. It has some really fun bumps and the runs aren't too steep. Towards the end of the day, we sometimes head back to Siberia if it has quieted down. My hubby really likes Headwall and will spend quite a bit of afternoon time there. As much as we like Red Dog, we rarely hit it except in early season or Spring. No real reason other than we prefer to ride up the funitel and go from there. Sometimes we hit Red Dog on our way out at the end of the. day, when everything else gets too crowded.

On weekends, we prefer Alpine because it seems to spread the crowds out better. Olympic Valley has quite a few choke points on crowded days. At Alpine, we warm up on the various runs off Roundhouse - lots of good blue runs and shorter off piste stuff which are good for checking conditions because you can quickly pop back on to a groomer if it is too "coral reef" like. Shortly thereafter, we ride up the Summit Lift and ski the bowl runs. If the conditions are good, we will hit some of the shorter off piste runs (again to check conditions) before hitting some of the longer bump runs.

Ride Treeline Cirque (far right looking up the mountain) all the way to the top to get to the Sherwood area. You will pass by a midpoint unload, don't do this yet but look left to see if Lakeview is open. Sherwood tends to soften up first as it gets a lot of sun and again it is easy to pop off the side of the groomer to check if the bumps have softened up at all - and pop back on if not. Sherwood is a great area if you like a GIANT bowl! There is some tree skiing also but it is mostly bowl.

From Sherwood, you can ski over to Lakeview ( if it's open)

After skiing out of Sherwood and Lakeview, you can take Scott chair up which has a good variety of blue groomed to black ungroomed. The Chutes are pretty visible and easy to avoid.

Be sure to reserve parking if you will be skiing on a weekend. It opens Tuesday at noon, but the free parking spaces go pretty quickly so get on it right at noon.

Weather (and DH's back) permitting, we could meet you at Olympic Valley and my hubby could take your son to some of the more extreme terrain. That way he would be with someone who knows the terrain. I'm still recovering from an injury and sticking to groomers. I'll PM you my phone number.

Pat

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about the Saddle off KT? That’s a pretty easy black.
Saddle has a cat track vibe, but if you go straight past groomer instead of turning, there can be some nice ungroomed terrain in the area (Enchanted Forest) before the slope starts to go uphill again. I tend to go on Saddle only to get to Headwall as fast as possible from the base.

The descent from Saddle to Headwall can sometimes be a sheet of ice, and I write this as someone who great up sliding on sheets of ice.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Saddle has a cat track vibe, but if you go straight past groomer instead of turning, there can be some nice ungroomed terrain in the area (Enchanted Forest) before the slope starts to go uphill again. I tend to go on Saddle only to get to Headwall as fast as possible from the base.

The descent from Saddle to Headwall can sometimes be a sheet of ice, and I write this as someone who great up sliding on sheets of ice.
I've only skied the Saddle a few times and it was several years ago. It seemed like a meandering trail that should have been rated blue. It wasn't crowded at all. This year I have Ikon also but nothing was great when I was there two different trips in December and early January. Now there is some snow. I think Siberia is a total sh*t show and has never been a favorite. I like Granite Chief myself but that wasn't open when I was at Palisades last. Actually not much was open and it was super crowded. I mostly skied Alpine (not much was open there either) and Resort Chair at Palisades and some Red Dog.
I'm positive it's much better now with more snow.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only skied the Saddle a few times and it was several years ago. It seemed like a meandering trail that should have been rated blue. It wasn't crowded at all.
I think it's rated black to keep people who are barely intermediates from taking KT to say they rode KT. It's more an access track than a ski run, imho, kind of like the track off Sibo to the right off the lift, or to the right/front off of Headwall.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the suggestions! This is really helpful.

I have 1 more question for you locals; how worried should I be about tree wells?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I have 1 more question for you locals; how worried should I be about tree wells?
I haven't been to Palisades since Xmas week, so I'm not sure how current conditions are. Most of the runs that have been suggested don't have trees that people would normally be skiing through. The area between Granite and Shirley has some, and the area past Olympic Lady (over by Tamara's) is treed. You should all keep an eye on each other, but they're not a huge concern.

mustski

Angel Diva

After a big storm, caution is always a good thing. But there are some well spaced glades and those should be fine. Stick with a buddy and it's a good idea to carry a storm whistle just in case.

Witsend

Certified Ski Diva
Are there any Ski Diva members who ski Palisades (Tahoe)? I would love to meet more skiing ladies :smile:
I drive up. I am a baby skier though, still trying to go down Gold Coast without fearing someone is going to hit me from behind.

i would love to meet other divas!

mustski

Angel Diva
I had expected to be back in Reno tomorrow. However, my dog injured her foot earlier this week and the vet wants t see her again on Wednesday. So we are delayed until after this storm and when roads look good. @Witsend Once we are back, I would be happy to ski with you, and don't worry about feeling like a baby. We all have that terrain level that once we move into harder terrain, we feel a bit disconcerted. I am perfectly happy to ski Gold Coast with you.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I was supposed to arrive in Reno tonight, but after a planned stop at the tiny Northern Colorado Airport in Fort Collins, we are stuck here in a snowstorm! Still on the plane, waiting out the storm. No idea when the crew times out...

@mustski hope your pup feels better soon!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was supposed to arrive in Reno tonight, but after a planned stop at the tiny Northern Colorado Airport in Fort Collins, we are stuck here in a snowstorm! Still on the plane, waiting out the storm. No idea when the crew times out...

@mustski hope your pup feels better soon!
Oh no....... and snow is definitely coming to Tahoe. OTOH I leave for Colorado early Sunday morning.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The paper trail map also has a list of recommendations of where to ski depending on one’s ability.

I imagine if your housing is at OV, you either can walk or just take the Mountaineer instead of driving and deal with parking headache next week.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Easy enough to ski but filled with every yahoo on the planet who wants to go home and say they skied K2. I avoid that run like the plague. In facf, we prefer to download via the funitel rather than ski Mountain Run which takes us right below Saddle and everyone careening out of control at Mach Schnell onto Mountain Run.

We generally ride the funi up first thing and warm up with a few runs on Gold Coast, which is right outside the funi. We then move to Siberia (if it's not looking stupid crazy) and do a few runs there before heading to Shirley Lake, Solitude, and Granite Chief. If Siberia is stupid busy, we head straight to Shirley Lake, Solitude, and Granite Chief. If the snow is nice and soft, Solitude is a great off piste blue area. It has some really fun bumps and the runs aren't too steep. Towards the end of the day, we sometimes head back to Siberia if it has quieted down. My hubby really likes Headwall and will spend quite a bit of afternoon time there. As much as we like Red Dog, we rarely hit it except in early season or Spring. No real reason other than we prefer to ride up the funitel and go from there. Sometimes we hit Red Dog on our way out at the end of the. day, when everything else gets too crowded.

On weekends, we prefer Alpine because it seems to spread the crowds out better. Olympic Valley has quite a few choke points on crowded days. At Alpine, we warm up on the various runs off Roundhouse - lots of good blue runs and shorter off piste stuff which are good for checking conditions because you can quickly pop back on to a groomer if it is too "coral reef" like. Shortly thereafter, we ride up the Summit Lift and ski the bowl runs. If the conditions are good, we will hit some of the shorter off piste runs (again to check conditions) before hitting some of the longer bump runs.

Ride Treeline Cirque (far right looking up the mountain) all the way to the top to get to the Sherwood area. You will pass by a midpoint unload, don't do this yet but look left to see if Lakeview is open. Sherwood tends to soften up first as it gets a lot of sun and again it is easy to pop off the side of the groomer to check if the bumps have softened up at all - and pop back on if not. Sherwood is a great area if you like a GIANT bowl! There is some tree skiing also but it is mostly bowl.

From Sherwood, you can ski over to Lakeview ( if it's open)

After skiing out of Sherwood and Lakeview, you can take Scott chair up which has a good variety of blue groomed to black ungroomed. The Chutes are pretty visible and easy to avoid.

Be sure to reserve parking if you will be skiing on a weekend. It opens Tuesday at noon, but the free parking spaces go pretty quickly so get on it right at noon.

Weather (and DH's back) permitting, we could meet you at Olympic Valley and my hubby could take your son to some of the more extreme terrain. That way he would be with someone who knows the terrain. I'm still recovering from an injury and sticking to groomers. I'll PM you my phone number.

Pat
We did just this today. Visibility was pretty poor off the Siberia lift, but the snow was great. Granite Chief was the highlight of the day…it had a little something for everyone! I liked steep bumps, and my oldest loved the cliffs! I was feeling pretty good and were going to take a run off KT22 when some more snow rolled in, tanking the already not great visibility, so we nixed that, but will likely try again tomorrow. We didn’t ski anything on the “left side” of the mountain, so we’ll probably explore over there tomorrow.

Everyone has been so helpful! Please keep the recommendations coming!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna