• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

On Pockets

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So today I stopped off at a local ski shop to take a look at the jackets they had on sale. And I found one from The North Face that I absolutely loved. It consisted of an outer shell and a down zip-in liner that could be worn as a separate. Fit well, looked good, met all the specs -- except for one. Pockets. Aside from two hand pockets on the shell and two hand pockets in the liner jacket, there were no other pockets. At all. No chest pocket, no interior zip pocket, no goggle pocket. Nothing. So sadly, I passed.

So what's up with the absence of pockets? I mean, this jacket in particular was not cheap, even on sale. If it had the pockets, it would have been worth it. Without them, no.

Such a simple feature to leave out.

So where do you stand on the pocket issue? What pockets can't you do without?

SkiTux

Certified Ski Diva
Hmmm...I haven't thought about this much! I think I would have felt like those pockets were sufficient for me. My "must-have" pocket is the one on the right leg of my North Face pants that I stuff with the things I use most, like my goggle bag, anti-fog cloth, and lip balm. I keep tissues, a drink, and a snack or two in my North Face shell hand pockets. I tend not to use the chest pocket or interior ones, so I guess I wouldn't think much of it. I also don't put anything in my liner pockets. If I carried my cell phone I'd probably want to use an interior pocket, but my husband brings his so I don't bother. But if I did, I'd be mad about a lack of interior pockets!

wpsally

Certified Ski Diva
This is the same reason all my ski pants are men's -- usable pockets. In addition to not enough pockets, sometimes the hand pockets are so small they're not of use. I will not buy a jacket or pants with insufficient pockets. I have to have hand pockets to shove my gloves into (along with a face mask) and chest pockets for my glasses and my cellphone. I'm also a fan of the small sleeve pockets (perfect for chapstick!), but they're not a requirement.

I keep money, ID, and car keys in my pants (hip pockets) along with tissues and chapstick (thigh pocket).

I need lots of pockets because I like to spread out the stuff. Othewise I tend to drop things when going into a pocket and I feel awkward from really puffy pockets. Plus if you've got all your stuff crammed into hand pockets, it makes you lumpy at the waist which I find hampers my skiing. With lots of pockets I can always find room for the rest of the cookie or rice crispy treat I didn't finish at lunch but will want an hour later on the lift. ;-)

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you put anything but some kleenex and credit cards in most jackets you get bulges, and some people want to look slim in their ski clothes. Maybe that's it? I'm bulge city, and it probably looks like my boobs sag down to my waist, :loco: but c'est la vie.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pockets are one of the first things I look for in a jacket. I find I don't use my Volkl jacket very often just because it doesn't have media or phone pockets and it doesn't have a key leash, a must-have in my book.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like pockets too! That way you can spread stuff around without having the two pockets bulging with stuff.

My other thing is pit zips, I really value them!

Jilly

Staff member
My new Salomon jacket lacks a little bit in the pocket issue. There is one interior pocket that zips. I can barely get my phone in there. The "stash" pocket has a little button velcro closure. I'm worried about losing stuff from it. Lots of exterior pockets, but I like to keep the keys, wallet and phone inside and secure. I could have done without the goggle wipe!! My Avalanche jacket has alllllll kinds of pockets and spaces for stuff!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Pockets are one of the first things I look for in a jacket. I find I don't use my Volkl jacket very often just because it doesn't have media or phone pockets and it doesn't have a key leash, a must-have in my book.
+++1!
And probably The Main Reason why I have kept a specific jacket (I have 3, in different colors) around: POCKETS. SEVEN of them. And FOUR MORE in one of my mid-layers (2-3 in others). :thumbsup: I have not yet seen another jacket with seven pockets. Gonna wear these until they are DUST. Fantastic -- even two goggle pockets (mesh), one on each side! Even the newer models by the same manufacturer doesn't have this many (WHY NOT??).

ETA: AND a season pass drop-down pocket that velcro's up out of view at the powder skirt>REALLY nice, no dangling pass, no hassles about getting it in view.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So funny. I always complain not about the quantity but rather the location of the pockets on our uniforms. We carry a lot of "stuff" as our guests are often unprepared for the mountain environment. I wish that instead of large pockets for the hands, we could have large pockets right at boob level. I would prefer to look busty, even if it is randomly edgy and square shaped, than look like I am expecting or have been drinking a few too many beers. Come on ski clothing manufacturers...get it right! Give us large pockets up high...not down low.

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have owned an Orage jacket for a couple of years, and recently recast this item from in-town to on-slope. Pockets were a key reason for the switch.

My faithful gore-tex shell has two BIG zip-closure pockets on the outside (boob meets waist), and another zip-closure on the inside.

The Orage? On the inside, 1 zip pocket that contains within a 2nd pocket with a velcro closure, and on the other side, 1 large mesh pocket suitable for spare balaclava, sunglasses, googles, etc., etc. On the outside, 3 snap-closure pockets and 2 hand-warmer pockets, and one of those has a key-leash. For a total of 8.

The latest version of this jacket from Orage has even more pockets.

I wish, however, that the Orage weren't insulated with polyfill, as I'd prefer a zip-in/out liner (with more pockets, and up to being worn on its own) that could adjust more readily to the ambient temperature. And I'd like a drop-down pocket for lift pass/tickets as described by MSL. But as it stands, my Orage is far better suited to resort skiing than ye olde gore-tex.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, I really battle this with my coaching jacket this year. Last years had 2 napoleon pockets (one meant for a 2 way brick coaching radio), Interior zip pocket, chapstick arm pocket, handwarmer pockets and, best of all for a coach, a big huge pocket on the back right at the small of my back. That thing was the best for spare handwarmers/neck gaiters etc. Just stashed left there all season unless washing.

This year we are down to 1 napoleon pocket where the radio goes, 1 zippered interior pocket that is stupidly on the same side as the napoleon and 2 handwarmer pockets. That's it. Well, there is a zip in liner with one or two more pockets but I hate it so I don't use it and only use my down sweater.

It's really odd because it is Patagonia and I love my Patagonia shell that I bought for myself which has lots and lots o' pockets.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Really like a jacket that has a vertical zip pocket big enough for my spare goggle lens. Also want one big enough for a gaiter or face mask. These days I usually have a small pack but still want plenty of pockets in my jacket.

mustski

Angel Diva
Another vote for pockets here. Back in the "olden days" when we wore the skin tight stretch pants, the jackets had pockets and still looked sexy. Now the jackets have big pockets right at the belly/waistline and we just look boxy. That said, I would still rather have pockets than not. I am debating men's pants because I would prefer to carry on my leg than on my waistline.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, I really battle this with my coaching jacket this year. Last years had 2 napoleon pockets (one meant for a 2 way brick coaching radio), Interior zip pocket, chapstick arm pocket, handwarmer pockets and, best of all for a coach, a big huge pocket on the back right at the small of my back. That thing was the best for spare handwarmers/neck gaiters etc. Just stashed left there all season unless washing.

This year we are down to 1 napoleon pocket where the radio goes, 1 zippered interior pocket that is stupidly on the same side as the napoleon and 2 handwarmer pockets. That's it. Well, there is a zip in liner with one or two more pockets but I hate it so I don't use it and only use my down sweater.

It's really odd because it is Patagonia and I love my Patagonia shell that I bought for myself which has lots and lots o' pockets.

Patagonia typically sheds excess pockets from their line to decrease weight. If it isn't from the ski/snowboard line which is relatively new for them, the pockets will be scarce. Especially if it's from the alpine line, sometimes you won't even get a side handwarmer pocket if it will interfere with a pack or a harness.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In ski clothing pockets and pitzips are required for me. Even when I'm not teaching, I like a sleeve pocket for kleenex, a goggle pocket for a water bottle, a pocket where I can put glove liners and/or extra hand warmers, a pocket for a lock for my skis, and a pocket for sunglasses if I'm wearing goggles, and a pocket for a couple of bucks, a debit card, and cell phone. Oh, and a place other than the front zipper where I can hang a lift ticket. I mistakenly bought a jacket that has few pockets, and I won't wear it other than the car going back and forth to ski school. I don't care if I look like a umpa lumpa, but I need my stuff!

The only other alternative is a fanny pack or back pack, both of which do bad things to your balance and/or impair getting off the chair.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Patagonia typically sheds excess pockets from their line to decrease weight. If it isn't from the ski/snowboard line which is relatively new for them, the pockets will be scarce. Especially if it's from the alpine line, sometimes you won't even get a side handwarmer pocket if it will interfere with a pack or a harness.

These jackets are both from the ski/snowboard line. One from 2 seasons ago and one (the one with less pockets) is this season's jacket. What irritates me most is the fact that the inside zippered pocket is on the same side as the outside one. Makes me very lopsided.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My need for pockets isn't as big as it used to be. Seems like I still carry a bunch of stuff around. Goggles stay hooked on the helmet. There's usually room for a little knit hat somewhere if I want.
Pocket 1 - ski pass + SPF lip balm + lip gloss - they said keep the ski pass in a pocket by itself to avoid RFID issues, but I tested it with the lip stuff and it still works fine.
Pocket 2 - car keys + credit card + id + cash
Pocket 3 - sunscreen and sometimes a snack
Pocket 4 - phone and sometimes camera

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like having several pockets as well. Some have to have a zipper. I keep a credit card, a little bit of cash and driver's license in my ski pants zip pocket. Like most people, my nose drips for awhile after first getting out in the cold air. Easy access to tissues is important and I take a small ziplock bag to put used ones in. I don't want anything sharing a pocket with tissues. I love the small velcro compartment on the front, near the zipper area of my new white and black Columbia jacket. It is for lip balm and very handy. The coat works fine, but unlike my old red Columbia I wore when teaching, it is not blessed with as many handy pockets. My TNF jacket(in the photo) was good too. I now use it and the old Columbia when I backpack, camp or fish in cold, wet weather. I do wish the removable, zip in jackets also had at least one, somewhat deep, inner pocket for a phone, granola bar or anything else I like to keep warmer. Frozen snacks can be hard on the teeth! I keep car keys alone in one zipped pocket, which I never open except to put them in or take them out. I have a fear of dropping car keys and never seeing them again.
I love coats! If I had unlimited $$ to spend, I'd have way too many no doubt. I like to be warm and dry, and a nice looking coat is a wonderful plus, but for extreme weather I can live without a coat looking really fashionable.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like having several pockets as well. Some have to have a zipper. I keep a credit card, a little bit of cash and driver's license in my ski pants zip pocket. Like most people, my nose drips for awhile after first getting out in the cold air. Easy access to tissues is important and I take a small ziplock bag to put used ones in. I don't want anything sharing a pocket with tissues. I love the small velcro compartment on the front, near the zipper area of my new white and black Columbia jacket. It is for lip balm and very handy. The coat works fine, but unlike my old red Columbia I wore when teaching, it is not blessed with as many handy pockets. My TNF jacket(in the photo) was good too. I now use it and the old Columbia when I backpack, camp or fish in cold, wet weather. I do wish the removable, zip in jackets also had at least one, somewhat deep, inner pocket for a phone, granola bar or anything else I like to keep warmer. Frozen snacks can be hard on the teeth! I keep car keys alone in one zipped pocket, which I never open except to put them in or take them out. I have a fear of dropping car keys and never seeing them again.
I love coats! If I had unlimited $$ to spend, I'd have way too many no doubt. I like to be warm and dry, and a nice looking coat is a wonderful plus, but for extreme weather I can live without a coat looking really fashionable.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need pockets, too, for small stuff like money and lip balm, but I also wear a small DaKine backpack so I can have my water, an extra neck gaiter etc if I need them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga