• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Okemo Women's Alpine Adventure Five Day

julielavelle

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am planning on doing Okemo's Women's Alpine Adventure in January. I think I can swing the five day camp(Jan.28-Feb.1). My question is "is five days worth it, or a two day just as good?" I am a seven or eight on there skill scale and just want to be more comfortable on steeps and bumps. Need to keep up with my children now...

ladyluck

Certified Ski Diva
Great question! Looking forward to some insightful answers ! Sorry I can't help you out, but I am doing an Okemo clinic as well..
Take care

ladyluck

Certified Ski Diva
I'm thinking January is better for me, but like you, I am torn on whether or not to do two, three or five days?
Especially with lodging and all- ouch! Not that it isn't worth it,but I'm wondering if a longer clinic is really that much different/ better?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I've done two and three day clinics with WAA (Women's Alpine Adventures) and can tell you that the two is wayyy too short!!!!
Schedule and money prevented me from trying the five-day.

ladyluck

Certified Ski Diva
Can I ask if it was a matter of to much information and too little time to get feedback/ practice? Or just not enough instruction time in general?

marzNC

Angel Diva
The only multi-day clinic I've done was three days, mornings only. That worked well as part of a one week ski trip to Tahoe. Left time for warm up days before and practice or fun time after the clinic. Personally, I wouldn't want to do five days in a row if each day was more or less a full day of instruction.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I'd say too little time to hit on all everyone wanted to cover and wayyy too much fun to be over so quickly. Their approach is to challenge everyone. For instance I'm a racer, but arrived with no mogul skills and lots of other things that needed working on. We did sooo many different types of things so that everyone went a little out of their comfort zone, but with different things. With such a variety of slopes and conditions on Okemo, I would have gone for the 5-day had it been an option for me. I just returned Saturday night from a five day clinic in Steamboat (just 6 1/2 weeks after extensive knee surgery-I can ski fine, just can't get off some of the lifts, go up/down stairs and get on buses pain-free) during which we ran tons of gates, but there were soooo many other drills/skills, too. It, too, went way too fast! Whew!

ride_ski

Angel Diva
I did the 5 day clinic about 4 or 5 years ago. It was so much fun. I would agree with others. 2 day is way too short. The way the 5 day was structured was Mon/Tues was full day of instruction with Wed being "hump day" - morning instruction and the afternoon gave you the opportunity to try something new- snowboarding, ice skating, free skiing, etc. The week I went, Tuesday night we got a big dump (around 15"), so we all voted to use Wed as a full instruction day - which was great for me since I really needed instruction in powder.

I was in one of the top 2 groups. At the time, there were 2 instructors that always had those groups (Tcarey and Crystal) and they would work together and bring the 2 groups together at times during the week. (Which made it really fun). Not sure if they have the same instructors now where Terry is now a PSIA examiner and I'm nor sure if Crystal is back. As with all group settings, everyone needs to work on slightly different things, but during this clinic, they did a really good job of tailoring things to benefit the individual. On some runs, you may be doing something slightly different than others in your group.

I was glad I did the 5 day. It's a good experience to be with the same instructor for that long. They really get to know you, what you want to work on, and what you should work on. As far as becoming more comfortable on steeps and bumps, you probably won't be working on those the whole time, but they are very good at wanting to know why you are attending and what you want to work on. Conditions will dictate the amount of moguls available (I think).

julielavelle

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'm going to do the five-day. We are going to Winter Park the next week and I want to impress my kiddies! Glad that you are with the same instructor the whole time. Went to a two-day where they switched and it seemed you spent the first hour of the second day getting back to basics again. Do they have a demo day for the gals? I've seen other programs with this available.

julielavelle

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking January is better for me, but like you, I am torn on whether or not to do two, three or five days?
Especially with lodging and all- ouch! Not that it isn't worth it,but I'm wondering if a longer clinic is really that much different/ better?
I called and Jackson Gore from 1-27 to 2-1 with the discount is $1025.00 and the Best Western Ludlow is $720.00. The gal said Okemo doesn't discount that much. I guess we get preferred parking with the program regardless of were we stay. It would be nice though to be able to just walk up stairs after skiing!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you don't mind my butting in, you'd spend less and do just as well staying off site. Parking IS NOT a problem at the ski area, during the week. But then, it all depends what you're looking for.....

julielavelle

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope you don't mind my butting in, you'd spend less and do just as well staying off site. Parking IS NOT a problem at the ski area, during the week. But then, it all depends what you're looking for.....
I'm thinking it's going to be the Best Western for me...the extra 300 I save will go toward a new set of Dynastar Edens:dance:! The program let's you have perferred parking and overnight storage of equipment so no hauling skis. Do you know anything about the Best Western? They said it's less than a mile from the Jackson Gore base.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking it's going to be the Best Western for me...the extra 300 I save will go toward a new set of Dynastar Edens:dance:! The program let's you have perferred parking and overnight storage of equipment so no hauling skis. Do you know anything about the Best Western? They said it's less than a mile from the Jackson Gore base.

I'm not sure of the exact distance, but it's not far. Maybe 2 miles...certainly not one. But not far enough to be a problem. I drive over to Jackson Gore nearly every day (once it's open, which it isn't yet), and honestly, parking (at least during the week. And if you get there early enough on a weekend, I wouldn't worry, either) or hauling your skis or whatever isn't an issue.

The Best Western is fine. I used to stay there from time to time before I moved to the area, though that was quite a while ago. Unless you have your heart set on staying slopeside -- which I'll admit, does have its benefits -- I think the Best Western would be a good choice.

ladyluck

Certified Ski Diva

I stayed at the Best Western twice last year.. Both times I had no issues with the rooms, they were big and clean. My 17 year old son loved the room. The parking lot was very, very icy the second time we stayed. I would love to be slope side , but I don't think I can swing it this time ...

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
At Okemo's Jackson Gore weekdays the shuttle picks you up at your car! For me that removes the inconvenience of parking daily.... One is really pampered for WAA and other weekdays, too. I only have a weekday pass so I have no idea how things are on the weekends....

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the consensus that the 2 day clinic is too short. I have never taken the 5 day, but have taken the 3 day 8 times. It's a wonderful program and you do keep the same great instructors the entire time. If you can afford the time and dollars, I say treat yourself to a wonderful learning experience and a fun time. Look for Wendy and me while you are there so we can at least say "Hi!".

julielavelle

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the consensus that the 2 day clinic is too short. I have never taken the 5 day, but have taken the 3 day 8 times. It's a wonderful program and you do keep the same great instructors the entire time. If you can afford the time and dollars, I say treat yourself to a wonderful learning experience and a fun time. Look for Wendy and me while you are there so we can at least say "Hi!".
I am signed up for the five-day! Soooo excited!! Staying at the Best Western in Ludlow. I will look for you.:ski2:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga