• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Okemo Divas: Question about Learn to Ski Free at Okemo

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A neighbor wants to learn to ski and I found this program at Okemo. “From November 29 to December 24, Okemo is offering a Learn To Ski package for free. Level 1 or Level 2 class meets at 10 or 1:30, free rentals and a lower mountain lift ticket is included.” This sounds perfect and major props to Okemo.

In my reading, I also discovered that all surface lifts are free. “Use of Okemo's lower mountain surface lifts is free all the time - every day, all season long. At Okemo's Clock Tower base area, the F-10 Carpet is 400 feet long and accesses the Fairway trail. At Jackson Gore, the Stargazer Carpet and Orion's Belt Carpet combine for an 800-foot ride to the top of Bright Star Basin.”

My question for the Okemo Divas is: Do you know which chair lifts are considered Lower Mountain lifts?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It's really a great deal, isn't it? I guess the idea is to get them hooked. Which, of course, we all know will happen. :becky:

The lower mountain lifts are the ones right outside the main base lodge. They take you to the top of a short slope, from which you can ski back down to the base or over to the quad that takes you to the top of the mountain.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a wonderful program. The mountain puts the student in really good equipment and the lessons are with great instructors. My brother took advantage of this and is hooked on skiing. This year we have 3 friends who plan on giving it a try. 3 cheers for Okemo!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Talk about a win-win! We have some new neighbors from Germany. He loves to ski, but she has never skied before. She stays home during the week while he goes to work. I speak German, she wants to learn/improve her English. While she is in the lesson, I'll try to meet up with some Divas. We can all have lunch together and she can meet others who love skiing.

This program is a huge PR win for Okemo. Why would anyone in the area go somewhere else and pay $100 or more? It doesn't only hook the beginner, also the friends and family of the beginner.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Talk about a win-win! We have some new neighbors from Germany. He loves to ski, but she has never skied before. She stays home during the week while he goes to work. I speak German, she wants to learn/improve her English. While she is in the lesson, I'll try to meet up with some Divas. We can all have lunch together and she can meet others who love skiing.

This program is a huge PR win for Okemo. Why would anyone in the area go somewhere else and pay $100 or more? It doesn't only hook the beginner, also the friends and family of the beginner.
another reason why we love Okemo.. it is a skier's mountain.. just can't wait til they open hope to see you 2ski2moro!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought I would post an update about this wonderful program. SnowflakeADK and I introduced 2 friends to skiing yesterday.

I reserved online so they were pre-registered. As soon as we got to the mountain, we got their lift ticket - free. They picked out their equipment - free. (The skis were 120cm, BTW)

As soon as they went out to the ski school meeting area, they were assigned instructors. I was surprised that each person had a private lesson. I suspect that a weekend is busier and there would be more in the classes, but the one-to-one really worked for our friends. We especially liked Thomas, a Brit, who was able to convey his enthusiasm for skiing to my friend.

Fun for us - SnowflakeADK and I went off to ski with the SkiDiva, her DH and AnnC for a while. We came back periodically to check on our friends in their 2 hour lesson.

Friend #1 is a 60+ years old. She never quite got the idea of using her edges and had trouble moving about. Despite her problems, she liked skiing and will do it again.

Friend #2, a 43 year old, is a Natural on skis! By the end of her first lesson, she was linking turns on the beginner hill, riding the magic carpet, and looked comfortable on her skis. After lunch, we took her up the chairlift to the top of the long beginner slope. Even on the steeper section, she could traverse and turn as she followed me down the first time.

The bad thing is that she tipped over on the flats at the lift and fell on her thumb. I think she has a Skier's Thumb/soft tissue injury. She made one more run before stopping due to the pain. Despite that, she wants to go skiing again soon.

Kudos to Okemo for a wonderful program, great snow and a wonderful day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga