• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Okemo And Killington Mar 17-18

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hadn't made it up to Vermont at all this season until this weekend. If this warm weather keeps up like it's supposed to, I think it may be my only weekend in VT this season.
Anyway, I was at Okemo on Saturday and it started out about 39 degrees and cloudy with fog down to about mid mountain. Considering it's only mid March, at first it was a bit horrifying how much snow they have lost. It was definitely "spring conditions" with soft wet snow, a few rocks, grass etc. Some areas had pretty good coverage (Vortex and Quantum Leap over at Jackson Gore come to mind) while others were quite thin. Below is a photo taken from one of the lifts which shows what is left of one of the trails (I can't remember which one, it might be Ledges)
IMGP0661.jpg

In the afternoon the sun came out and it got slushier. Up until about 12pm it was just wet snow for the most part but when the sun came out it started getting more liquify so I quit at 1pm.

On Sunday I went to Killington and it started out at about 46-50 degrees and got warmer from there. It had stayed warm over night so the snow didn't set up at all.
Below is a picture taken about 11:30am of some of the water on the trails--this was fairly typical and in some places it was worse.
IMGP0662.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture but it was pure water in some places--not slush--pond skimming anyone?? The water made conditions a bit tricky and there were deep puddles getting on and off many of the lifts that you really couldn't avoid.
I feel like I didn't ski my best the past 2 days due to the wet conditions, but I am happy that I managed to survive the days without incident. And 2-3 years ago I wouldn't have been able to handle these sorts of conditions at all, so I guess that is improvement. I stopped skiing at 12pm when the water really started to flow. In the afternoon I took a snowboarding lesson instead of skiing, as "waterskiing" didn't really appeal to me, but "surfing" looked like more fun. The lesson was good and i was happy I didn't fall in any puddles.
Everyone was talking about how the conditions looked more like mid/late april than mid march and even employees were saying they were wondering how they were going to make it closing day . . .and if they do it will likely be just a few trails. So unless we get a freak snowstorm in the next few weeks I think my season is done. Just 10 days this year but the last 2 were fun anyway despite the conditions. Now I just have to clean my skis-- they are filthy dirty from being submerged a few times!

Downunder Diva

Angel Diva
... I stopped skiing at 12pm when the water really started to flow. In the afternoon I took a snowboarding lesson instead of skiing, as "waterskiing" didn't really appeal to me, but "surfing" looked like more fun. The lesson was good and i was happy I didn't fall in any puddles...
I love your attitude and your change in game plan NES :clap: ... surfing is fun (I've yet to try it on a snowboard though)

Vista freak

Angel Diva
Your pictures say it all NewEnglandSkier. I thought the skiing today at Killington was a lot of fun. It's like going through a maze, you had to really plan your turns. I give you tons of credit to try snowboarding in these conditions. For me, that would have meant a total drenching.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
I was there Sat and Sun as well. Sat was great. We skied until 2 which is very unlike me (I'm usually out early then done at lunch). This pretty much wiped me out for Sunday and my legs only had about 3 hours in them. Very much late spring conditions. Seeing how much snow was lost from Sat to Sun was unbelievable. I don't know how long it will last.

DH stayed up there to ski, so later I'll find out how much snow disappeared last night

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Maine ski areas are pretty well trashed also, following yesterday's unprecedented (and record-setting) mid 80's temps - and on the heels of 10 days of way above normal temps. "It's over, Johnny."

Vista freak

Angel Diva
DH stayed up there to ski, so later I'll find out how much snow disappeared last night

Mine did as well. He LOVES spring skiing. We are hoping that more than Superstar will be open at Killington this coming weekend and will try to squeak out another couple of ski days. But as Maine SkiLady said, it isn't looking too good.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, it was a fun weekend despite the lack of snow. I was wondering how Sugarloaf was holding up . . .but I take it not that well since MSL posted that areas up there are not looking too great either. I guess I really am done---sigh.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, it was a fun weekend despite the lack of snow. I was wondering how Sugarloaf was holding up . . .but I take it not that well since MSL posted that areas up there are not looking too great either. I guess I really am done---sigh.
We were at Mt Snow last weekend and it was 77F on the mountain - waaaay to hot for skiing, IMHO. I had just had my Auras tuned and the bases repaired for our upcoming Fernie trip, and I dinged them on one of the numerous rocks that appeared throughout the day. $60 down the drain..... Anyway, Mt Snow is DONE for the season. You could see the brown earth and rocks coming through the snow as it melted. Let's all hope for a better winter next year.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga