• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Oakley Prizm Goggles

alison wong

Angel Diva
@ Albteran ski girl - Oakley has a pretty good return policy. You have 90 days to return the product. If you purchase online, you can return it at their store. However, the product must be in new condition that they can sell it again. You might want to email them to verify this info. (I am unable to locate the email they sent me about return policy).

Aspenaut

Certified Ski Diva
Hi everyone, I'm new here, but have been lurking for a couple of years ;-) . I am in desperate need for a new pair of goggles and after reading everything online, think I will make the switch from Smith to Oakley and get the Rose Prizm as a general all round lens (except for bluebird days in Colorado in spring). However, now the choice is the A Frame 2.0 or the Flight Deck XM. I wear contacts, and don't like too much ventilation as I find it makes my contacts want to fall out of my eyes. I've read reviews which say the A Frame bottom vents are really a bit too much, but they fit my face and Smith helmet slightly better than the Flight Deck XM. So I'm reopening this slightly old thread. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Jilly

Staff member
I had the A frames for years. I wear contacts too. Never had a problem with them. They didn't really fit with my helmet. So make sure either one fits that too.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@Aspenaut -
:welcome:
Just wondering: have you tried on the Crowbar frame? It might well be a good compromise between the A and Flight Deck. The outrigger thing really does work to adjust frame to varying widths.

A reviewer in link below says that the change from A-frame to Crowbar was a good one:
https://www.backcountry.com/oakley-crowbar-prizm-goggle?rr=t#

As to contact lenses, I can relate. Before finding Crowbars (which do NOT have those vents like the A-frame), I was constantly dealing with too much air flow that would start to dislodge a lens. Never again with the Crowbars, and they NEVER fog.

Also, keep in mind that the Rose Prizm transmits much less light than the former standard-issue Oakley persimmon lens. This might or might not be a good thing for you. Good luck!

Aspenaut

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you both so much. I'll go check out the crowbars. I'm looking for goldilocks goggles . No fogging and not too much ventilation, with a good general all rounder lens that I don't have to change unless either super stormy or bluebird.

It's very difficult to tell how a goggle will work on the slopes when buying them in a shop. The rose prisms seem to get such great reviews, but you've got a point. As my eyes get older, more light is better... I tried to find the chromapop everyday here, but no shop carries them, so it seems rose prizm is the other option.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I bought the Rose Prizm about a month ago. They are actually smaller than other goggles I have tried and in particular they fit very close to my face. It took a day to get used to the closeness, plus the wide field of vision. By Day 2 it seemed perfectly normal.

I skied them in a snowstorm in Mammoth and did much better than usual with seeing the terrain. But here's another wrinkle - Because I wear glasses, I often experience fogging in stormy conditions. So I totally committed to Oakley and bought the goggles that have a heater in them. It's actually a filament that wraps around the lens, like the rear window defroster in a car. The first time I wore them in a snowstorm I didn't have them fastened correctly and they got totally foggy and wet inside. I went into the lodge and turned on the defroster. It took 2 cycles (of 3 min. each) and they were totally clear and dry. The people at my table were amazed. After I understood how to work them, I would turn them on for a 3 minute cycle whenever I started to fog, and it would defog in about a minute. It seemed to defog my glasses as well as my goggles, so I am a HUGE fan.

The goggle is called the Prizm Inferno Line Miner. Here's a link to them on the Oakley site.

https://www.oakley.com/en/mens/gogg...70PZINF/?skuCode=OO7070-09&categoryCode=m0308

Last edited:

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH and I both have Oakley Flight Deck Prizm goggles; he has the sapphire iridium prizm lens, and I have the prizm rose lens.

After trying them both out, we both agree that the sapphire iridium is the better all-condition lens. If you've never had a high quality lens, the prizm rose will absolutely knock your socks off. At the same time, however, we've found that on bluebird days, our eyes get more tired with the rose lens than with the sapphire iridium (he has blue-gray eyes; I have hazel, if that makes any difference).

The sapphire iridium lenses are great on bluebird days, and do a decent enough job on foggy/flattish white days. It was particularly evident yesterday at Heavenly when the weather changed CONSTANTLY throughout the day (between gnarly snow/fog and bluebird).

If you have lighter eyes and only want to get one lens (because wow Oakley's expensive and switching Flight Deck lenses is a major pain), I'd recommend getting one of the iridium lenses over the rose.

Aspenaut

Certified Ski Diva
So, I ended up getting A Frame 2,0 in rose prizm. I've been super happy with them. I've been skiing in Lech over the past week. First day was mixed sunny/cloudy, and I skied through to late afternoon shadow, and they worked great, very easy transitions. Next few days were bluebird days- the only time they were uncomfortable was when I was on the lift with the sun shining directly into my eyes, but I don't think any goggles / or sunglasses would have worked well (except my vintage vuarnets ). Today was snowstorm white out conditions, when there was any visibility they worked really well, and I didn't think they were too dark. So far I've been really impressed with them. I had no fogging, vents work great. Lenses were very versatile. Frame size was comfortable, sight lines were fine. Foam could have been a bit bigger:softer. Will try to get replacement sapphires at some point and try them but for the moment I'm very happy with these. Thanks for all your help and comments.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think switching the lens in the Flight Decks is incredibly easy! It takes me about 15 seconds total. But, I do it a LOT, so maybe I'm just really practiced at it. :tongue:
I'm also finding the Hi Pinks are my go-to for low light vs. the Rose. I pretty much only use the Pinks and the Jade anymore.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
PSA: To switch lenses in the Flight Decks, you MUST install the new lens in this order:

1. Nose. Make sure it's securely in the little notch.
2. Side
3. Side
4. Top.

If you do it in order, it's easy-peasy. It took me a long time and a sustained barrage of F-bombs to figure this out.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep! And reverse order taking them out. Top, side, side, then nose. I could to it with my eyes closed, I think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga