• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nozawa Onsen, Nagano

LadyCaladium

Certified Ski Diva
Okay, so the actual trip is next week, but I figured I'd get started. On January 18th I'm going to be skiing Nozawa Onsen in Nagano, Japan. It's only a day of skiing, but I'm excited to finally ski this season (and on Honshu). I'll be bringing a camera with me so I hope to get some photos to share with everyone.

Can't wait to see pics. Have a blast.

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is SO on my bucket list of places to ski and experiences to have. Have a wonderful time and take spare camera batteries!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hope you are having a wonderful time! Can't wait to see photos!

LadyCaladium

Certified Ski Diva
I went alone so there aren't a lot of photos (plus visibility wasn't good...). I hope to get it all together and post this week.

Thinking of heading back next weekend as we've finally gotten some snow!

LadyCaladium

Certified Ski Diva
Okie, so Sunday I finished up some stuff at home, packed my bag and gear and headed to the train station. I took the Shinkansen from my city to Iiyama Station. From Iiyama I took a bus (full of Australians) to Nozawa Onsen. The town is basically skiing, relaxing in an onsen or two, eating, and drinking. Almost all the tourists were Australian! And everywhere hires Australians and Canadians.

My hotel was up a hill and I was actually one of the few foreigners staying there (maybe because the booking page is in Japanese?). I was a little worried about having to walk up hill but everyone runs hot spring water on top of the pavement which kept it from becoming a frozen slip and slide.

In the basement of my hotel you could rent skis and each room came with keys to a ski locker and and boot locker (which was the same size as the ski locker but with shelves). This was awesome as I didn't have to lug my ski stuff upstairs. I had selected a Japanese style room (tatami, futon, etc.) and it was very comfortable.
Besides the thirteen free onsen in town, my hotel had one as well (I think every hotel does).

I dropped my stuff off in my room, changed, and sprinted to the basement to grab my gear for night skiing...
Only there wasn't enough snow for night skiing. So I went in search of food and hot springs. It started snowing a little bit.

The next morning I woke up and packed my bags. I left my stuff at the hotel, put on my ski boots and started the trek to the gondola. Up hill. In the sleet. Carrying my skis and a backpack of camera equipment. I made it up the hill! Then a staircase! Then another staircase! And into the gondola with five middle-aged Japanese men. I had booked my lift ticket with my hotel, so I didn't need to stop to buy one in the morning.

The sleet turned back to snow. Between the snow and wind, visibility wasn't good. Not all the runs/lifts were open, but I had a good time. The snow got better as the day went on. The lifts were a bit of fun. Some had no bar, some had a bar, some had a hood that came down, and there was also the gondola. I plan to go back if I can swing the funds/time to get there. If I wanted to push it, I could make it a day trip, cutting out the hotel cost.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 14

LadyCaladium

Certified Ski Diva
Okie, so Sunday I finished up some stuff at home, packed my bag and gear and headed to the train station. I took the Shinkansen from my city to Iiyama Station. From Iiyama I took a bus (full of Australians) to Nozawa Onsen. The town is basically skiing, relaxing in an onsen or two, eating, and drinking. Almost all the tourists were Australian! And everywhere hires Australians and Canadians.

My hotel was up a hill and I was actually one of the few foreigners staying there (maybe because the booking page is in Japanese?). I was a little worried about having to walk up hill but everyone runs hot spring water on top of the pavement which kept it from becoming a frozen slip and slide.

In the basement of my hotel you could rent skis and each room came with keys to a ski locker and and boot locker (which was the same size as the ski locker but with shelves). This was awesome as I didn't have to lug my ski stuff upstairs. I had selected a Japanese style room (tatami, futon, etc.) and it was very comfortable.
Besides the thirteen free onsen in town, my hotel had one as well (I think every hotel does).

I dropped my stuff off in my room, changed, and sprinted to the basement to grab my gear for night skiing...
Only there wasn't enough snow for night skiing. So I went in search of food and hot springs. It started snowing a little bit.

The next morning I woke up and packed my bags. I left my stuff at the hotel, put on my ski boots and started the trek to the gondola. Up hill. In the sleet. Carrying my skis and a backpack of camera equipment. I made it up the hill! Then a staircase! Then another staircase! And into the gondola with five middle-aged Japanese men. I had booked my lift ticket with my hotel, so I didn't need to stop to buy one in the morning.

The sleet turned back to snow. Between the snow and wind, visibility wasn't good. Not all the runs/lifts were open, but I had a good time. The snow got better as the day went on. The lifts were a bit of fun. Some had no bar, some had a bar, some had a hood that came down, and there was also the gondola. I plan to go back if I can swing the funds/time to get there. If I wanted to push it, I could make it a day trip, cutting out the hotel cost.

IMG_0001.JPG Okay, so it's sideways, but this was my pile of gear...

IMG_0016.JPG My travel companion...

IMG_0012.JPG On the mountain...

These are the cellphone photos. I have to see what I can get off the camera.

LadyCaladium

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks. I got the photos off the camera. These are unedited, just converted from RAW to jpeg and resized to post.

This was the view from the hotel...

DSC_1959.jpg

And after getting off the bar-less chairlift...

DSC_1960.jpg

Sometimes it started to clear for a few moments...

DSC_1963.jpg

Overall, Little Godzilla and I enjoyed ourselves...

DSC_1966.jpg

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't even imagine doing a trip like this alone. That rocks!

LadyCaladium

Certified Ski Diva
I went back on 2/15 and it was another day of low visibility. It had rained for two days so there was a sheet of ice under the falling snow (it snowed all day).

I had a great time.

I took a two hour private lesson in the morning. My instructor was great. Bit was my first lesson in over 20 years so there are some habits to break. I can get down blacks and double blacks in NY, but working on these skills will make it easier, more fun, and less painful (skiing broken...).

After my lesson I grabbed a quick lunch and then went out to practice what I learned. I skied all day and definitely felt it the next day. I think that was partially because I was skiing differently than I usually do.

Rundown:
5:00 wake up
6:11 train, bus
10-12:00 private lesson
12-12:30 lunch
12:40-4:30 ski
5-6:00 bar time (not as crazy as it sounds)
6-7:00 dinner
Then a bus and train back home...

I'll try to post photos next week. I have to travel to the states for a family emergency so I can't get any up right now.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is Nozawa Onsen having a typical season or is it warmer than usual?

Would you be willing to share a couple pointers you found most helpful in your private lesson? Was it in Japanese or English? Just curious, do you dream in English or Japanese (my most unreliable proxy for language proficiency, also just a fun question:becky: )?

I also need to get some formal lessons, it's been at least 3 years for me.

Bon voyage and hope all goes well.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is Nozawa Onsen having a typical season or is it warmer than usual?

Would you be willing to share a couple pointers you found most helpful in your private lesson? Was it in Japanese or English? Just curious, do you dream in English or Japanese (my most unreliable proxy for language proficiency, also just a fun question:becky: )?

I also need to get some formal lessons, it's been at least 3 years for me.

Bon voyage and hope all goes well.

I have dual citizenships with US and France. Typically after a few days back in that country I'll start dreaming in that language.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna