• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordica Takes Best Overall

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I noticed quite a few Nordica fans out there this year and for good reason it seems. While reading the Ski Press magazine I noticed Nordica took 'Best Overall' in the '08 Ski Test. As mentioned by Jilly in an earlier thread, Ski Press is regarded as the REAL test as there is no outside influences manipulating the vote.

What really caught my attention though, is that in the women's category only two winning skis were women specific:

Slalom - #1 Nordica Doberman Pro SL
Performance - #1 Nordica Doberman Spitfire
High Performance - #1 Nordica Speedmachine Mach 3 Power Xbi
Game Improvement - #1 Nordica Olympia Speed
Midfat (East) - #1 Nordica Victory

https://skipress.v1.myvirtualpaper.com/Magazines/2008010602/en/

Jilly

Staff member
They had a lot of second places too. Had that mag here at the office, but its disappeared. Off to the shop again for anyother one.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not surprised. Nordica makes some awesome skis!

akjen

Certified Ski Diva
Just got the Victories this year and love, love, love them! Great all-mountain ski for up here.

Jen

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Nordica Dobermann Spitfires at a ski test in an indoor snowdome. Don't know if you have them in the USA but its basically about a 200m slope which is like skiing on hardpack so not great but better than not skiing at all :smile:
Anyway I loved the Dobermanns, I didn't try the proper race SL or GS versions and too be honest I think they would be a bit much for me. I felt like I was on rails on the spitfires though and I imagine they would be great on ice, I have never enjoyed skiing in the snowdome as much as when I had these skis on and if I see a good end of season deal I will probably/definately be buying a pair, has nayone else tried these?
From a gear head in training :smile:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you like the Dobermans, you'll love the Firefox for an all mountain carver.
That is one of the most awesome skis made for women.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have yet to try one, hopefully they'll be around here for demos soon. You guys give them such glowing reviews!

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We don't get the Firefox in the UK :(, not sure about the rest of Europe though or if it s a US specific ski.

Jilly

Staff member
Not on the Canadian website either. But I'm going to contact the rep, since I know him, and ask!! I want to try it!

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Hi Jilly, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. :( However the reason you can't get the Firefox is because it was a special US project. Created by the US design team ,based specifically off of the US womens focus groups. Sorry but I'll let you ski mine if I get up your way. You will love them! They totally rock!! Nordica is really trying to listen to what women are telling them they want in their ski performance. And from the way these ski I'd say they paid attention. They have really done a great job in the short time that they have been designing skis!! :thumbsup:

Jilly

Staff member
perma-grin - I know the rep for our area. I've contacted him, but no response so far. I think the rep's are all at sales meetings. Doesn't mean that we don't get it next year!

perma-grin

I hope you can get them for next year! I didn't ask about future distribution plans for those skis. Sorry my bad!:redface: I didn't think about it. SIA is coming up in a couple of weeks and those things will probably be taken into account there according to response from Reps and Dealers. Hope they decide to extend the Distributrion to you! All Divas deserve great Skis!

Jilly

Staff member
Our NSIA is Feb 8th for demo day. I've done this for the past 2 years for our local shop. Its so much fun to ski next years stuff now.

IcyBum

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Jilly, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. :( However the reason you can't get the Firefox is because it was a special US project. Created by the US design team ,based specifically off of the US womens focus groups. Sorry but I'll let you ski mine if I get up your way. You will love them! They totally rock!! Nordica is really trying to listen to what women are telling them they want in their ski performance. And from the way these ski I'd say they paid attention. They have really done a great job in the short time that they have been designing skis!! :thumbsup:

Hi PG,

I have been researching skis at the Ski Press World site and don't see the Firefox at all, even when I pull up only women's and men's Nordica skis. They have ratings for the Speed and the Canadian-only Dobermanns...was the Firefox just not part of that test? If you have a crystal ball and can tell me, I'll appreciate it! Thanks!

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've mentioned this in other threads and no one has replied but as far as I can see the Firefox and the Dobermann Spitfire have the same dimensions, construction etc except the Firefox is only available in the US and the Spitfire is only available outside the US, is this the same ski???

Firefox

https://www.nordica.com/dynamic/ski.php?idColl=21&idCat=277&siteVersion=2&idL=1&restart=1&

Target

Built from the ground up specifically for expert women.
Sizes

154(R12), 162(R13), 170(R14), 178(R15.5)
Sidecut

(154cm – 162cm) 120-70-103 (170cm – 178cm)
122-70-105

Construction

Full 2V ACTIVE Ti /
Type of core

Comp-mono wood
System/binding

X-BALANCE SYSTEM INTEGRATED

Dobermann Spitfire

https://www.nordica.com/dynamic/ski.php?idColl=43&idCat=55&idP=140&siteVersion=8&idL=1&restart=1&

Target

Expert skiers, advanced skiers, ski instructors who want have a polyvalent ski for all the turns.
Sizes

154 (R12), 162 (R13), 170 (R14), 178 (R15.5)
Sidecut

122-70-105 (SIZE 170-178); 120-70-103 (SIZE 154-162)

Construction

FULL TWIN V ACTIVE TI
Type of core

comp-wood
System/binding

X-BALANCE SYSTEM INTEGRATED - N0312 TI or N0311 TI binding by Marker - 3D top

perma-grin

Hi lynseyf and Icybum,
No crystal ball here, but I know for positive the Firefox remains unchanged for next season. Most of the Nordica ladies skis, have been widened at different point of their anatomy,( hmm something they have in common with me!, Lol!) for next season. As for the Firefox vs Spitfire the side cut on the "Firefox on your link is incorrect, (or the tails of my skis are) the Firefox is "120 not 122, 70, then 103 not 105 slightly different taper angle there and I'm sure there is a some flex difference also. Nothing that would deter me on purchasing that spitfire if you can't get the Firefox. I love "cheater skis" (skis that initiate with minimal effort). A little more voluptous so a little more turny on the Spitfire,:noidea: maybe not quite as versitle? I don't know just guessing. I haven't skied the Spitfire so I can't say for sure but I like the sidecut, it still looks like a great ski. I'm going to miss test fest next week because I'm in Ketchum thru March 8th. Kind of bitter sweet. :( Who am I kidding I would much rather be here in Ketchum skiing Baldy! :ski2: Snow has been great, and the sun has been shinning! Although I wouldn't complain about a nice little dump of freshies!:wink: I can't beleive how much damage the forrest fire did this summer and how close it came to the hill and day lodges! Way to close for comfort! I'm hoping to ski next year's skis later in March when I get back to Michigan ( have to go back, after a month mr.PG runs out of clean underwear then he gets cranky)! Hope that answered some questions.

greekpeakskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i hope you guys are getting a commission on the firefox sales. you've certainly convinced me. found demo days on the entire nordica olympia line march 9th. and will ski them against my victorys.... if it's love, i'm prepared to sell this season's victorys on ebay and spring for the firefox.

i find the victorys stable and predictable but not very peppy. i'd just have to figure out how to break the news to the ddp (darling domestic partner). ... tax returns. isn't that what those are for? skis?

perma-grin

Hey Greekpeak!
Have fun with the demo's but try to ski a couple of different length in the Firefox if you can. One of my girlfriends just bought a pair (two weeks ago), she had skied mine in (a 162 cm) And frankly she wasn't that impressed with them! She was not even mildly in love with them. However when she got on the 154's she bought them right then and there! You could have knocked me over with a feather, when I rode up the chair with her and saw what she was on! I said hey what gives? I thought you said that they weren't making your knees weak with need? She informed me that the shorter length just really felt more comfortable for her. With the 154 she was definitly in "Love "not just ski lust so she bought em'! So be picky, because contrary to what most men will tell you size really does matter! :wink: Lol!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga