• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordica Santa Ana

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The La Nina does go up to 185cm but is wide so maybe not the best for the conditions we usually ski here but then so were my S7W and I had lots of fun on those.They went to Tignes last year for nearly 4 weeks and they were awesome.Roll on February.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Any updates on the Santa Ana 93? Anyone skiing them this season yet?

I was on a pair of 2012/13 Nemesis - 153 (I'm 5'1", 120-ish, +/- 2 lbs depending on the day, month, year :smile:) and got a screaming deal on some 2015 159 Sambas (new, unmounted) at the end of last season. I had demoed them when I got the Nemesis, and had liked them almost as much, so I bought them.

But I'm definitely curious about the Santa Ana 93s. I can demo them at Sugar Bowl (where I have a pass) - but wasn't sure about demoing the 153 or the 161 (which seems long in my head). Anyone know how the 93s ski vs the 100s? Or how they might ski against the Nemesis?

Thanks,
laine
The Nemesis was a burly ski...quite the crud-buster, with a more traditional design (less tip rocker).

I haven't skied the 93, but from what I've read and heard from others who have skied it, it's not a very substantial crud-buster; it's a light, playful ski.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The La Nina was my daily driver last season, and I lurved it. Not so great on bulletproof, but otherwise surprisingly versatile. If you spend most of your skiing off-piste, definitely a strong contender.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
only to discover the longest they brought was the 161 :rolleyes:.

When I asked last weekend for longer length in a women's ski, the response was...... "when a woman wants that length, they usually are happier with the mens version"......

I don't think its East Coast length, just what the shop thinks their sale demographic is.

Which makes it frustrating for those who are seeking the shorter or longer versions of women specific skis -- for what ever height weight and ability levels would make the women's ski a better fit then say a stiffer mens ski.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I asked last weekend for longer length in a women's ski, the response was...... "when a woman wants that length, they usually are happier with the mens version"......

I don't think its East Coast length, just what the shop thinks their sale demographic is.

Which makes it frustrating for those who are seeking the shorter or longer versions of women specific skis -- for what ever height weight and ability levels would make the women's ski a better fit then say a stiffer mens ski.

Do you reply, "Then why on earth did the manufacturer bother making that length for women in the first place???"

I fully understand the realities of selling your inventory, but just answer honestly. I am 5'9" and I ski a mixture of women's and unisex skis, trending more toward unisex these days, but I am probably also a slightly stronger skier than average. It is a drag that taller women get shunted to the periphery like this. If I hear one more person say a ski doesn't know how tall you are ... I mean, you don't put 5'1" 150 and 5'10" 150 on the same ski length, do you? of course not.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well Ill be looking else where for the longer ski in the women's version.

I totally get it. When I'm not with DH I'm with a friend who is a taller expert skier. She is usually on 175+ men's skis -

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Nemesis was a burly ski...quite the crud-buster, with a more traditional design (less tip rocker).

I haven't skied the 93, but from what I've read and heard from others who have skied it, it's not a very substantial crud-buster; it's a light, playful ski.

Interesting. Maybe I'll demo the 100. I'll have to check and see if Sugar Bowl has that one.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope to try the Santa Ana 93's this season. It may have to be on a western trip; I'm not sure our mid-Atlantic small resort demo day will have a huge selection. I'm hoping to be surprised, though. I'm skiing the Head Total Joy in a 153 for the 3rd year (I went too short). I'm 5'7" and actually don't know my weight (intentionally), but I'm in very good shape this year (for a 57 YO Diva). Compared to last year, on the same ski, I'm feeling less stability on the ice than I would like. I think it is a combination of skiing too short and greatly increased strength and flexibility. Is this in my head or do you folks think there is some logic to my thinking? Perhaps I'm skiing faster b/c my strength and balance are so improved and that is making a difference? Note to self: remember to actually TURN ON Ski Tracks.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I'm skiing the Head Total Joy in a 153 for the 3rd year (I went too short). I'm 5'7" and actually don't know my weight (intentionally), but I'm in very good shape this year (for a 57 YO Diva).

I have also bought too short, many of us have; I may be on the verge of buying too long, lol, but I want to try!

That said, at 5'7" (170 cm), no matter your weight (even if you were a feather-weight), I expect you are truly over-powering the Head Total Joy 153. I think you are spot on; if you are feeling instability this year, that you did not previously, then your increased fitness/speed is causing your ski to give you a shout out. I am 51 yo, 5'9", fit, and generally ski a high 160's/low 170's. If I were to ski your ski, it would be the 168. My sister is 5'3" and she would ski your ski in the 158. I expect you would be much more comfortable on the Total Joy 163.

In the Santa Ana 93 you really should be on the 169. Super easy to ski...if you can, perhaps try the 161 for a run or two as a stepping stone?

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm skiing the Head Total Joy in a 153 for the 3rd year (I went too short).

Yes. You went too short!

Strength - especially core strength - and balance make a huge difference in competence and confidence on skis.

Regardless, at 5'7 and fit, you should be looking at 165-170ish.

Christy

Angel Diva
I am admittedly being lazy about not going back and reading the 16 pages of this thread to find out under what conditions people like the Santa Anas. I demoed the 93s in spring snow and liked them. I need a groomer ski for the firmer days. Does this fit the bill? My gut says Stocklis, which I have demoed in Sun Valley, would be better, but no one skis Stocklis here and so I can't find them to demo or buy locally.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've pulled the trigger twice based on top sheet. Surprise: neither was amazing for me ...
I'm glad they would be too short so I don't get sucked in.Plus,I have enough good skis that I like-I'm just deluding myself here arent I.If I demo Santa Ana/Enforcer/LaNina and I love them then I know what will happen.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I am admittedly being lazy about not going back and reading the 16 pages of this thread to find out under what conditions people like the Santa Anas. I demoed the 93s in spring snow and liked them. I need a groomer ski for the firmer days. Does this fit the bill? My gut says Stocklis, which I have demoed in Sun Valley, would be better, but no one skis Stocklis here and so I can't find them to demo or buy locally.
I had to order mine from a ski shop in Maine. At least I was supporting a brick and mortar store that I have visited before and really liked. Stockli isn't widely distributed so one would be lucky to find a local shop. I agree that they are amazing skis; ones where the top sheets aren't just pretty; they truly are the mark of an incredible ski.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've really liked the Laser SC and demoed the Stormrider a couple weeks ago at Sun Valley, but it was so cold the skis didn't glide so I couldn't really tell if I liked them. Stocklis are big in Sun Valley but not here in WA.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
More thoughts on the Nordica Santa Ana:

I took my Santa Anas out yesterday at Sunshine Village - beautiful day, about ankle deep fresh in the morning, and it kept on snowing all day. They were amazing! I loved them. I have never moved so easily through pow and chop - the Santa Ana's just went right over everything. Bumps were SO much easier than my Kenjas- I can't even describe how much easier. I think part of it had to do with how easily they turn (I just have to think it), and part of it because they are less stiff. I ended the day just absolutely loving this ski. The afternoon, we spent in trees, and it was my first proper day exploring the trees - they were great day too, and I think the length (169) for me was perfect. I don't think I'd want any longer for bumps and trees. It was quite windy though yesterday, and so, in the alpine, there was a lot of wind blown crust, and just plain ice. The Santa Ana was no Kenja there, but I do have to say, it was not that far behind. I didn't feel any trepidation on the blown off or icy parts, just skied as usual. I really love these skis, and can't wait to take them out more. We really didn't spend much time on the groomers, but I assume they'd be fine there too. This is the one-ski quiver for me. L0ve them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga