• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordica Santa Ana

What is stemming? I think I do this too at times. A very happy woman skied by me today on some Santa Anas. She said hello to me and seemed to be having a blast. A nice 100 underfoot ski like the Santa Ana would be fabulous, especially on a day like today.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is stemming? I think I do this too at times. A very happy woman skied by me today on some Santa Anas. She said hello to me and seemed to be having a blast. A nice 100 underfoot ski like the Santa Ana would be fabulous, especially on a day like today.

It's really a step with the inside ski just after turn initiation. It's a HORRIBLE habit that I learned in a lesson about 15 years ago.

@contesstant I keep looking at the picture of your Santa Anas buried in the snow! So awesome!
:thumbsup: Wish I had gotten them at the start of the season!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I couldn't agree more with @contesstant .. Stem Christie used to be taught as a progression to parallel , and oh what a crutch that is... Funny thing is you see more women (could be the "Q" angle ) stemming turns than men .. My BF has never stemmed a turn.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was told today they ski very short and at my size to try the 161's not the 153's.. And also that the 152 samba is perfect for my size.. It is definitely a hard charging ski but love it.. Also it rocks in the heavy slush...

I was told today they ski very short and at my size to try the 161's not the 153's.. And also that the 152 samba is perfect for my size.. It is definitely a hard charging ski but love it.. Also it rocks in the heavy slush...

I agree with you trying the Santa Ana in 161. Its got a hella tip rocker on it so you won't even know you are on a 161.

cheerrabbit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to resurrect this thread and talk something out.

5'3" 145lbs.
I ski in Colorado, primarily Loveland. I would call myself an intermediate. I'm comfortable on blues. I want to work on trees and bumps this year. Blacks, it depends on the slope angle-I have a tendency to talk myself out of some of them.

I am currently on 2012 Blizzard Sambas, 159cm. I find that I like them on wide open runs. When I get uncomfortable (blacks) or trees, I was feeling like they are long and I find that I'm forcing them into shorter turns. I tried the 2014 Volkl Kenjas in 163cm last season (heck of a deal), and they felt way too long and I want something more playful.

I spoke to a shop this weekend and someone recommended going shorter. The two skis he recommended were Nordica Santa Anas and Head Great Joy. He had high praise for Santa Anas, and even more so when we realized they had a short radius. This thread has me interested in the Nordicas.

I just don't know if I should go for the 153 or 161. I have read how they ski short, but I'm worried if I feel like my 159 Sambas are long and the 163 Kenjas were definitely long, would the 161 Santa Anas also feel long?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd be concerned that the 153 Santa Ana would be too short. True confessions: I'm pondering the same question about the same ski, and I'm 5'2".

Is a way for you to demo the 161's? They are rockered at both ends. That they're supposed to be more playful than the Sambas might make all the difference.

@cheerrabbit , just a few more notes:
- I felt just like you on the Samba's, except I was trying out the 166's. 159 would the right length for me in that ski. I have two other Blizzard skis in 159.
- I have a Dynastar ski in a 152. Should've bought it one size up.
- See @santacruz skier 's post above. I agree, the Samba is a hard-charging ski.

Last edited:
I'm an intermediate and demoed the Santa Ana last season in Vermont and enjoyed them. I skied them in a 161. They have a whole lot of tip rocker so they absolutely ski short but I think the 153 because of all the rocker would probably be too short. I'd go with the 161. Is there a way you can demo them?

Jilly

Staff member
I'm just a tad taller and heavier, and my tree ski is 161. I'm thinking that technique might be at play here and not the ski. Maybe a tree lesson?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I would recommend demoing. The Head Joy series seems polarizing - some love, some hate. Santa Anas are pretty universally admired, but you never know. And it should answer your questions about length. Loveland has that great demo day in November ...

I've never skied the Sambas, but based on what I've read, I do think the Santa Anas are less "burly."

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've been thinking about the Santa Ana lately for trees and bumps specifically.. I am 5 '1 and lighter @ 102. I will demo but now think I might like the 153 for that type of skiing. My sambas are 152 and Rossi saffron 7's are 162. Skiing trees and bumps is a different story than only groomed runs on any ski.. Especially if an intermediate. I haven't tried them so am no help but there are some divas who have in the conditions you want them for.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have the burly Samba in one corner, the playful Santa Ana in the other. @contesstant has/had both, she'd be a good source of information on this question, but @Jilly makes a great point too.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I loved the Santa Anas when I demoed them - and I think you want the 161. I have the Kenjas in 163 and liked the Santa Anas in a 169. I think the Kenjas and Sambas are a whole different type of ski, and wouldn't compare lengths in those to the Santa Anas. Maybe demo-ing, as others have suggested, would indeed be best...

BTW, as of a few days ago, I have resumed my search for the Santa Anas - my search last season was cut short by the fact that they were sold out everywhere. I was a little too late last season... My local ski shop just opened this week, so I'll give them a call too because I know they carry Nordicas.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
hmm @Albertan ski girl and @VickiK - let's demo them together. Would love to ski with you both as would be fun and sound like we're similar in abilities....
Also same height? We could trade off...:ski:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
hmm @Albertan ski girl and @VickiK - let's demo them together. Would love to ski with you both as would be fun and sound like we're similar in abilities....
Also same height? We could trade off...:ski:

Oh @santacruz skier ...wish I was a little closer to your stats :smile: I like my skis in the 165-175 range. 5'7" and just a smidge under 200 lbs :smile: I'm working on it though...I've lost 40 lbs in the past 2.5 years...

BUT I'd still love to ski with you - it would be so much fun!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Oh @santacruz skier ...wish I was a little closer to your stats :smile: I like my skis in the 165-175 range. 5'7" and just a smidge under 200 lbs :smile: I'm working on it though...I've lost 40 lbs in the past 2.5 years...

BUT I'd still love to ski with you - it would be so much fun!
Oh we are different stats.. Okay we can't trade skis but still would love to ski together... you'll just be demoing the 169 Santa Anas! And good for you losing 40 lbs... That's awesome.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga