• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Non-profit ski areas in North America as of 2023, large and small

marzNC

Angel Diva
A while back I got curious about non-profit ski areas. A few on a list from 2015 have changed status but most are active. Below is a list updated in 2023.

Note that “non-profit” doesn’t necessarily mean limited hours or terrain. Few travelers to Montana checking out Bridger Bowl for the first time would guess it has non-profit tax status. It’s one of my favorite places to ski in the west. Check out the thread started in 2015 to see some videos for a few of the non-profit areas, including Cochran's in VT.

Have you skied at any of these areas? If so, when did you go for the first time? Do you know of a non-profit ski area that should be added?

NON-PROFIT SKI AREAS - as of August 2023

USA

Black Mountain, Rumford, Maine
Squaw Mountain, Greenville, Maine
Whaleback, Enfield, New Hampshire
Mt. Eustis, Littleton, New Hampshire
Ascutney Mountain, Brownsville, Vermont
Cochran Ski Area, Richmond, Vermont

Beartown, Beekmantown, New York
Tussey Mountain, Boalsburg, Pennsylvania

Mount Holiday, Traverse City, Michigan

Bogus Basin, Boise, Idaho
Bridger Bowl, Bozeman, Montana
Turner Mountain, Libby, Montana
Antelope Butte, Sheridan Wyoming

Mt. Ashland, Ashland, Oregon
Anthony Lakes, North Powder, Oregon
Ferguson Ridge, Wallowa County, Oregon

Badger Mountain, Waterville, Washington
Loup Loup, Okanogan, Washington
Mt. Spokane, Spokane, Washington

Skeetawk, Hatcher Pass, Alaska

CANADA

Batawa Ski Hill, Ontario
Chicopee, Ontario
Glen Eden, Ontario
Boler, Ontario

Mount Cain, British Columbia

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
Oh wow thanks for the list! I had my first day ever on skis at Cochran’s. Love that place and the people.
Haven’t been to Ascutney yet but it’s right by my mom’s, so I’m going to check it out this season.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I had no idea Tussey was non profit. Makes me feel better spending as much money as I have there. :smile:

IKam

Certified Ski Diva
I skied at Mt. Spokane many years ago and thought it was pretty good. Does non profit mean a government or an institution owns/manages it?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Does non profit mean a government or an institution owns/manages it?
In the USA, "non-profit" just means that an organization is tax-exempt. Many non-profit operations rely on volunteers, but there is quite a variety of situations that have proven to be successful. Strong community support is key.

In the case of Bridger Bowl near Bozeman, MT, it's a 501(c) (4). Charities are 501(c)(3). The Bridger Bowl Foundation is an associated 501(c)(3) for Bridger that does fundraising for needed capital. Bridger is not small. It has 2000 skiable acres (Alta has 2600 acres, Solitude has 1200 acres).

Info for Bridger Bowl and Bridger Bowl Foundation

Mad River Glen in Vermont is not a non-profit. However, the Mad River Glen Foundation is 501(c)(3) and supports MRG for large projects.

Mt. Ashland in southern Oregon may be what most people think of as a typical "non-profit ski area." It's open Thu-Mon. A season pass is around $500 for adults and teens, a kid's pass is $264, and for 70+ it's only $50. There are 240 skiable acres with 1150 ft vertical drop. For the Pacific Northwest, that's relatively small. I have good friends who live close by. It's a great place for their grandchildren to learn to ski.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mad River Glen in Vermont is not a non-profit. However, the Mad River Glen Foundation is 501(c)(3) and supports MRG for large projects.

So I was curious about this and did more reading. MRG is a co-op, and co-ops can be either for profit or nonprofits. If you read MRG's information on the co-op, there is a link to the Articles of Incorporation, which says it is a nonprofit co-op: https://www.madriverglen.com/how-it-works/

marzNC

Angel Diva
I really don’t know if this qualifies as a non-profit ski area, since it’s run by the military, but it is open to the public during the week. Has anyone skied at West Point’s Ski Area?
Haven't been there but enjoyed this trip report.

February 19, 2021

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Have you been since the expansion? They put in a new triple on the backside and have done tons of improvements.
Mt Spokane is run by the Mt Spokane 2000 group, a board of directors that took over from the old concessionaire in ...2000. There are 16 unpaid community members who run the board. Aside from paying staff (general manager and all employees) profits are put back into the facility. This would not be possible without the largest volunteer ski patrol in the nation. If they had to *pay* the patrollers the mountain probably wouldn't make it.

here is the mission statement:

Mt. Spokane is more than just a favorite regional ski area with 1,700+ acres, six chairs, and 52 fantastic runs. At this mountain, you’re part of something special. A community. A family. When you are here, you feel at home. No matter if you are a beginner, an expert, or a terrain park enthusiast, we are all brought together by the love for this singular place. Your ongoing support helps us make this mountain better year after year. As the only nonprofit ski area in the region, we focus on what matters most—skiing and snowboarding. All proceeds are invested back into the mountain so that we continue to provide outdoor recreation for generations to come.​

IKam

Certified Ski Diva
When did they do the expansion and new chair? I have a feeling it might have been after we went.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Haven't been there but enjoyed this trip report.

February 19, 2021
Thanks, @marzNC . I think I'll put this one on my list for my "big year" when I retire. :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I was looking for some info on the structure of the Mt Spokane board and dfound this gem: an interview with the new gneral manager on stormskiing.com Plus there is an article attached to the podcast that Ihvaen't read yet; still workingin my way through the podcast. They talk about the formation and mission of the non profit starting at 25.00

Posse Mama

Certified Ski Diva
I love to ski the small hills, those without the resort feel. Tons of personality, few frills and a great group of regulars to share the lodge with. Thanks for the list, I am adding it to my list.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga