• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Zipfit Liner Diary

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ski Divas, long time lurker first time poster. There isn’t a ton of Zipfit info on the internet? Hope this helps future people like myself to make an informed decision either way. I ended up getting Zipfit Freeride and so far very impressed as I feel greater control and edging. I hope to use these forever.

Metadata
Boots: 2019 K2 Anthem 115 w/ canting adjusted, + custom footbed since 22-23 season
Fitter: The Sports Loft in SLC
Home mountains: Alta / Bird
Skier type: 5’1, 140lb, 38, cautious, level 6 - 6.5 on a good day haha
Favors: Mellow trees, soft moguls, leftover powder (I’m lazy, I don’t want to sit in traffic or fight youngin’s)

Why Zipfit
I was using stock liners. After 90 days - it’s just packed out. The ankle wiggle just grew too much to ignore. There are other great aftermarket liners out there but I wanted the Zipfits because I didn’t want yet another liner that will just slowly pack out and then need replacement. I wanted it to be easily transferable to a new boot. Since it’s an unusual liner that uses this cork paste that continuously molds when warmed and more can be added (or removed) - I like having that option.

Fitting
Booked an appointment at The Sports Loft (where I had my fitting & all boot adjustments done before). Derek agreed that the issue is my liners are packed out and I asked if Zipfits are the right choice and he said let’s try it on. Right away the right foot felt amazing and locked in. The left foot felt torturous w/ a lot of pressure on the outside of my ankle. Derek says this is normal as the cork needs to mold with heat (I knew this going in from reading on Zipfits’ own website). Toe box fit is perfect for both feet. Since it fits and I accepted the price, we went ahead with the heat fit. He heated the liners, taped and capped parts of the toes and put my foot in a plastic bag for the fitting process. Per usual heat molding process I stood in the warmed up liners in the boot with slight flex for 10 minutes (as expected this is uncomfortable). After the molding the left foot fit was also perfect! Derek did warn me though that it should still take about 3 days of skiing before it really breaks in.

I was also given some care instructions
  • Put on the liner separately and then step into the shell
  • Store them upside down, as gravity means the cork will slowly migrate over time. It’s better to have the cork travel up the boot and then come back down when you are wearing them skiing.
  • You don’t need to pull the tongue up or lace it super tight - you can bundle up the laces and then hold it in place w/ the liner strap
  • Consider a heated boot bag to warm up the liners for each start of the day

Day 1 of Use
Put my stuff from the warm house to the car trunk and put on the liners without extra heating. It was uncomfortably tight around the ankles. After 5 runs it was better but still not the perfect feeling like after we did the heat fit.

To put on the liners, I stood on one leg and put the other leg on the car trunk. Then I shoved my foot in, toe first, in the boot using this steps I found on this video
as a guide. For me, I found what works is to step in toe first like the video but then kinda do a deep squat or I couldn’t get my heel in. Getting out is exactly as the video describes, I bend the knee (it doesn’t need to touch the dirty ground). I tried using a boot horn but it worked for the first boot but then trying to balance with one boot already on, I needed one hand on my car trunk to support myself and the other to hold the boot so no more hands for the boot horn.

Day 2 of Use

Right before leaving, I put a heat pad on low in a soft cooler (I reused a sunbeam back pad that’s w/ a battery), then I put the zip fits in still upside down on the pad and zip the whole thing up. It seems to have warmed it just enough and no painful pressure. Was comfortable right away. I didn’t want to heat it up too much and risk the cork paste moving too much.

Since I can now focus on the actual feel of it I found I was able to edge a lot more (I always struggle with edging, I’m more a leg steerer). I also noticed I had subconsciously built in some compensation for the ankle wiggle from the loose liner so I can stand taller.

Day 3 of Use

Glorious storm day at Alta w/ 8+ inches of fresh snow. Put the liner in the heated cooler again but the shells were colder so it was harder to put on. That struggle bus was quickly forgiven the moment I clicked in. The liners felt perfect today skiing.

In summary: Strongly recommend w/ caution

It’s extra effort to take care of them and put them on separately from the boot. I’m not sure what would be a good method to put on / take off the liner if you can’t do those awkward motions - maybe contact Zipfit or ask a boot fitter if this is an issue for you.

I don’t regret that I started w/ stock and as I got more experienced from lessons and getting more mileage so I developed a better understanding of what I needed and appreciate the difference enough to be willing to go through the steps.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got my first pair this past May, and getting them on and off started out very comically, but at least it was warm. My tactic now is to throw the shells into the passenger footwell if I don't have passenger and have the floor heating on as I go to the mountain.

I am somewhat dialed right now, but I do squat pretty low to get them on and do the weird knee to ground thing to get them off. I honestly don't know what I'll do when I get older and am less flexible.

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
That's a good idea! Though DH and I usually go together so not much space inside. Putting it on is harder than taking if off for me because the shell envelope wants to catch the laces and the strap of the liner. I am not ready to mod it and remove the strap like the person in the video since it will void the warranty.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I've been using my Zipfit for 2 years. The strap on the liner is a little difficult to remove but it slides out. I would be able to put it back if I wanted to. I also put the liner on first then the shell. I have a boot horn for this. I've always struggled to get my foot into the boot so much so that I would work up a sweat. The boot horn makes putting my foot into the shell much easier plus I'm not as worried about the wear on the heel of the liner over time from shoving my foot in.

SnowyO

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ski Divas, long time lurker first time poster. There isn’t a ton of Zipfit info on the internet? Hope this helps future people like myself to make an informed decision either way. I ended up getting Zipfit Freeride and so far very impressed as I feel greater control and edging. I hope to use these forever.

Metadata
Boots: 2019 K2 Anthem 115 w/ canting adjusted, + custom footbed since 22-23 season
Favors: Mellow trees, soft moguls, leftover powder (I’m lazy, I don’t want to sit in traffic or fight youngin’s)

Why Zipfit
I was using stock liners. After 90 days - it’s just packed out. The ankle wiggle just grew too much to ignore. There are other great aftermarket liners out there but I wanted the Zipfits because I didn’t want yet another liner that will just slowly pack out and then need replacement. I wanted it to be easily transferable to a new boot. Since it’s an unusual liner that uses this cork paste that continuously molds when warmed and more can be added (or removed) - I like having that option.

Fitting
Booked an appointment at The Sports Loft (where I had my fitting & all boot adjustments done before). Derek agreed that the issue is my liners are packed out and I asked if Zipfits are the right choice and he said let’s try it on. Right away the right foot felt amazing and locked in. The left foot felt torturous w/ a lot of pressure on the outside of my ankle. Derek says this is normal as the cork needs to mold with heat (I knew this going in from reading on Zipfits’ own website). Toe box fit is perfect for both feet. Since it fits and I accepted the price, we went ahead with the heat fit. He heated the liners, taped and capped parts of the toes and put my foot in a plastic bag for the fitting process. Per usual heat molding process I stood in the warmed up liners in the boot with slight flex for 10 minutes (as expected this is uncomfortable). After the molding the left foot fit was also perfect! Derek did warn me though that it should still take about 3 days of skiing before it really breaks in.

• Store them upside down, as gravity means the cork will slowly migrate over time. It’s better to have the cork travel up the boot and then come back down when you are wearing them skiing.
  • You don’t need to pull the tongue up or lace it super tight - you can bundle up the laces and then hold it in place w/ the liner strap

Day 1 of Use
Put my stuff from the warm house to the car trunk and put on the liners without extra heating. It was uncomfortably tight around the ankles. After 5 runs it was better but still not the perfect feeling like after we did the heat fit.

To put on the liners, I stood on one leg and put the other leg on the car trunk. Then I shoved my foot in, toe first, in the boot using this steps I found on this video
as a guide. For me, I found what works is to step in toe first like the video but then kinda do a deep squat or I couldn’t get my heel in. Getting out is exactly as the video describes, I bend the knee (it doesn’t need to touch the dirty ground). I tried using a boot horn but it worked for the first boot but then trying to balance with one boot already on, I needed one hand on my car trunk to support myself and the other to hold the boot so no more hands for the boot horn.

Day 2 of Use

Right before leaving, I put a heat pad on low in a soft cooler (I reused a sunbeam back pad that’s w/ a battery), then I put the zip fits in still upside down on the pad and zip the whole thing up. It seems to have warmed it just enough and no painful pressure. Was comfortable right away. I didn’t want to heat it up too much and risk the cork paste moving too much.

Since I can now focus on the actual feel of it I found I was able to edge a lot more (I always struggle with edging, I’m more a leg steerer). I also noticed I had subconsciously built in some compensation for the ankle wiggle from the loose liner so I can stand taller.

Day 3 of Use

Glorious storm day at Alta w/ 8+ inches of fresh snow. Put the liner in the heated cooler again but the shells were colder so it was harder to put on. That struggle bus was quickly forgiven the moment I clicked in. The liners felt perfect today skiing.

It’s extra effort to take care of them and put them on separately from the boot. I’m not sure what would be a good method to put on / take off the liner if you can’t do those awkward motions - maybe contact Zipfit or ask a boot fitter if this is an issue for you.

I don’t regret that I started w/ stock and as I got more experienced from lessons and getting more mileage so I developed a better understanding of what I needed and appreciate the difference enough to be willing to go through the steps.
Great post thank-you!

SnowyO

Certified Ski Diva
Love all the info. I’m in the Gara LV in a Nordica Pro Machine 130. Amazing fit, feel and performance. 40 plus days. I’ve added cork around the 20 day mark which is an interesting process. Felt around and found all the Om/fit tubes and plunged the cork in. Warmed the liners up with a hair dryer and massaged everything around. So far so good. I enter the liner in the shell and am able to step out with the liner on. Still working on stepping into the shell. There is spray that makes it easier too and haven’t gone that route yet. The liners are warm and I have Hotronic heaters that I set up myself. ☺️ There’s a couple of good YouTube’s out there that helped. I did have to slice the neoprene to get the cables through. Warranty is probably null. Also I have owned Intuition liners in the past and they packed out in 10 days so am happy to find Zipfit which are worth every penny. I also love my heated boot bag which gets turned on in the morning. All my gear is organized and cozy warm too. Happy Zipfit turns everyone.

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
I feel validated having chosen zipfit over intuition seeing you confirm it gets packed out fast too.

I have these super thin heated socks for the below 10 F days but otherwise my feet stay pretty warm with the Snux over boots and thin socks.

https://www.utahskigear.com/products/sidas-ski-heat-race-sock-s-e-t-r they give 10% discount if you pick up the item you see online at their training center location (it doubles as their warehouse).

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for posting this! My Zero G liner's a globally recognized POS. Is the neoprene in the toe very thick or does anyone know if it also packs out? I cried through my first ~5-10 tours in the stock liner since I'm maxed out length-wise, but have a fair amount of space in the instep & heel. Trying to decide if Intuition or Zipfit is the best answer to strike the balance.

SnowyO

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for posting this! My Zero G liner's a globally recognized POS. Is the neoprene in the toe very thick or does anyone know if it also packs out? I cried through my first ~5-10 tours in the stock liner since I'm maxed out length-wise, but have a fair amount of space in the instep & heel. Trying to decide if Intuition or Zipfit is the best answer to strike the balance.
Hi Analisa, the neoprene is average thickness. At first I thought the fit was very snug however after wearing the toes settled in. The inside of the toe box is lined with Merino. I’m in a 24.5 liner in an 24.5 shell and the Zipfit are perfect. There are different Intuition liners similar to Zipfit’s line. You may need a boot fitter to help you out. My old Intuition were in soft flex boot with plenty of toe room. Just disappointed they packed out so much which dulled the performance factor. Best of luck.

SnowyO

Certified Ski Diva
I feel validated having chosen zipfit over intuition seeing you confirm it gets packed out fast too.

I have these super thin heated socks for the below 10 F days but otherwise my feet stay pretty warm with the Snux over boots and thin socks.

https://www.utahskigear.com/products/sidas-ski-heat-race-sock-s-e-t-r they give 10% discount if you pick up the item you see online at their training center location (it doubles as their warehouse).
Thanks for the tip on the socks as I will be upgrading my heater set up next season and may go the sock route.☺️

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
+1 to SnowO's response

Also like to add that on the freeride at least the neoprene by the toe box feels supple like a neoprene sock and the merino lining inside is exposed - there is no fabric that covers up the merino which I think helps with the toe box not being too thick. (Maybe just me but I didn't realize about the exposed wool from everything I read on the internet).

YMMY anecdote - When I realized my liners were packed out I tried to go the cheap route and put on a thicker ski sock to see if I can get by til next season and not buy stuff but I couldn't stay in the boots because my toes felt so crushed before I even buckled the boots. Zipfits the toes were comfy from the first moment.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva

Metadata

Why Zipfit

Fitting

Day 1 of Use

Day 2 of Use

Day 3 of Use

Thanks so much for posting this info! You're right -- there really isn't much info available on Zipfits, aside from the usual merchandising blurbs. I have boots that are around 10 yrs old, and discovered my stock SIDA liners were packed-out. Since I plan to buy boots next season, I went with Intuition liners so I could extend the life of my boots another season, rather than spend the extra $$$ on the Zipfit liners in old boots. I'm happy with them for now, but I can see their limitations, so this info about Zipfits is very much appreciated.

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
I confirmed this with my boot fitter you can move your zipfit liners to new boots :smile: The bonus is he says that when I get new boots it will feel comfortable right away.

Unless ofc you go to a boot that needs lower or higher volume liner, but since you are happy now and will buy next season it does make sense to wait.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna