• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Mountain Collective

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone heard of this yet?

It's a joint lift ticket deal that includes Aspen/Snowmass, Alta, Jackson Hole, Squaw, and Alpine Meadows. $349. if you buy before November 19. Plus you get 2 free days at each, 50% discount on lift tickets, and 25% off lodging.

Holy smokes.

Go here.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Two days at each - meaning you split your days at Aspen/Snowmass and Squaw/Alpine Meadows (i.e. one apiece?) since they refer to it as four destinations? Even so, that's still less than $45 per day.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the mountains that you'd think are grouped are grouped, so:
all 4 Aspen mountains: 2 days
Squaw/Alpine: 2 days
JH: 2 days
Alta: 2 days

So 8 days prepaid total, and then half off all the rest of your days at those resorts. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Christy

Angel Diva
That's a great way to encourage a vacation, too. If I lived in SLC and knew I'd use the Alta days, having those 2 free days at one of those other resorts might sway my vacation plans. One day isn't enough to matter, but 2, especially if your SO or travel friend has one too, IS enough to matter.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great way to encourage a vacation, too. If I lived in SLC and knew I'd use the Alta days, having those 2 free days at one of those other resorts might sway my vacation plans. One day isn't enough to matter, but 2, especially if your SO or travel friend has one too, IS enough to matter.

Yeah, I think what they're really going for here is people who are flying to ski. Now, a lot of non-locals buy the Epic Local pass, and at $509 that pays for itself in one or two trips to Colorado no problem. If I still lived in NYC and was going to Alta once a year and one other place once a year, etc, this would look awfully sweet. It still looks sweet. :smile: But I think the "I live on the east coast and I take a few trips out west a year" crowd will be all over this.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I hope it's a success. Doesn't make sense for me this year since I really want to go back to Big Sky. Plus we ski late season at Alta and there are usually special deals then. But could be very interested for 2013-14.

abc

Banned
JH and Aspen, yest. Squaw-pine/Alta, not so much.

Only because lift ticket at Alta isn't all that expensive and you can get discounts easily. Squaw/Alpine season pass is also quite reasonable.

I doubt too many people will actually go to all 4 and use up all 8 free days. So the math is more about the 50% off + 2 free days in one destination or another.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will be buying it this season! :banana:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Only because lift ticket at Alta isn't all that expensive and you can get discounts easily. Squaw/Alpine season pass is also quite reasonable.

I doubt too many people will actually go to all 4 and use up all 8 free days. So the math is more about the 50% off + 2 free days in one destination or another.

My goal this season is to use all 8 "free" days.

(Yes, I bought the damn thing the afternoon it was announced....)

altagirl

Staff member

If you've got a way to get anywhere near 50% off Alta tickets, do share. Ticket prices haven't been announced for this year yet, but they're something like $75/day. That's not cheap to me...

That's the best deal that I'm aware of short of a season pass and I'm strongly considering it. Even if I only went to Jackson for 2 days and my normal days at Alta, it would be cheaper than any other deals I know of.

abc

Banned
Ticket prices haven't been announced for this year yet, but they're something like $75/day. That's not cheap to me...
I don't know about next year. But the last couple seasons, I was able to do Alta for around $55 or so. Maybe not 50% of $75 but not all that much more.

So if you can use it for Jackson, which never offer much discounts, I can see it making sense. But if it's just for Alta, well, you know more than I do. BTW, how much is the Alta season pass?

altagirl

Staff member
I don't know about next year. But the last couple seasons, I was able to do Alta for around $55 or so. Maybe not 50% of $75 but not all that much more.

So if you can use it for Jackson, which never offer much discounts, I can see it making sense. But if it's just for Alta, well, you know more than I do. BTW, how much is the Alta season pass?

An Alta pass is $1000 if you buy early. $1600 or something for an Alta/Bird pass.

Alta day ticket prices in particular have been going up significantly in the past 10 years. I get why, but it's not cheap anymore. And the fact that Snowbasin prices went down so much made us hope that Utah resorts were trying to emulate Colorado with better season pass deals. Wishful thinking....

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's what happens when you have a bunch of mountains in one area owned by one company. Also, the front rage has something like 4.5 million people within a 2ish hour drive of many of those mountains. I think 1 million of them buy the Epic Local pass and then use 3 days of it. ;) Not sure of the exact economics involved there, but that's definitely part of the reason they offer it so cheap.

Not that this will make you feel better, but I'd pay twice as much for my pass to have Alta (snow + terrain) in Colorado. :smile:

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Having thought a little bit, the markets are as different as they can be. Those resorts have the whole Front Range as their market; 4.5 million is 3.5 times the entire population of Salt Lake County. Add to that the fact that Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton are about the same distance from Sandy, and you have a pretty good reason that the Cottonwood resorts are as pricey as they are--if nothing else, they have a semi-captive population. Some have much better mid-week and blackout passes than Alta, but their day ticket prices are pretty comparable.

I'm still impressed by how accessible this makes Alta. Two free days and $37.50 a day thereafter is better than their $40/day local's Gold Card, which has a $100 (early purchase) or $200 fee.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is staggering. That's the whole population of Seattle +400,000.

That was hyperbole, I believe. :smile:

I think I was told that 65k epic passes were sold a few years ago... I am not totally sure about that, tho. Need to research.

altagirl

Staff member
I'm still impressed by how accessible this makes Alta. Two free days and $37.50 a day thereafter is better than their $40/day local's Gold Card, which has a $100 (early purchase) or $200 fee.

Yeah, I was counting on that $40/day local's Gold Card again, but using their calculator (unless it's wrong), it's going to be $50/day for the gold card thing this year. Not stoked about that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga