• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Mexico Skiing?

jennym

Certified Ski Diva
I'm looking to get away in late January/early February for some skiing. I'm in Austin, TX. I have never skied Taos or Sante Fe. Looks like they have gotten snow. Any suggestions or tips on skiing, lodging, food for these resorts/areas?

jennym

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks so much, any suggestions on where to stay in Taos?
What makes Taos better than Sante Fe?

fiddleski

Diva in Training
I haven't skied in Santa Fe, so I couldn't speak to that. But I've never been bored in Taos; there's plenty of terrain to challenge every level of skier. As for lodging, I've only stayed in town and not on the mountain. If you don't need a ski-in, ski-out set up, then you can't beat El Pueblo Lodge; it's quaint, friendly, spacious, and best of all -- reasonably priced.

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I don't know how much help I would be. Yes, Taos is my home mountain but I don't stay at any of the lodging! And I haven't skied at Santa Fe, either, for comparison. Although I know several people who LIVE in Santa Fe and make the extra drive to Taos. So that should tell you something.
But the snow has been pretty good so far at Taos, and there is quite a bit of terrain open. We could use some more snow to freshen things up.
If you do decide to head up here, give me a shout and I can show you some of the good stuff on the hill. :smile:

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am one of those Santa Feans who drives to Taos frequently, but that doesn't mean SF is not a nice place to ski.Santa Fe and Taos and are different.

Taos is a destination resort where Santa Fe is a local mountain. SF is much smaller than Taos. It has some really great terrain, especially wonderful trees from those great for someone just starting tree skiing, to some very steep tree shots with jumpable rock faces. Santa Fe has much better grooming and can "keep" its snow like no other (except maybe Deer Valley in Utah.)But i am not sure SF would be enough for a ski week. maybe a weekend....

Taos on the other hand is a big world class resort. It is famous for its super steep terrain. It appeals to the true expert. It does have one of the best ski schools in the country though.

Both Taos and Santa Fe have TONS of lodging options. Only Taos has slopeside. Amizette is nice and kind of near the slopes, the Bavarian is a boutique hotel with only a few rooms and literally on the slopes. the St. Bernard is the famous hotel at the base but I think you have to book a minimum of a week. The St. B is the apres ski hot spot. The town of Taos has many options from the Kachina Best Western on the clean and modest range to the El Monte Sagrado for a great treat. EMS has one of the coolest green indoor pools you ever saw, a great bar and restaurant and a full service spa. If there is live music, go to the Sagebrush Inn bar. They have some amazing swing and two step dancing and the bar itself is like going back in time.

Santa Fe has even more lodging options. For value, the El Rey Inn is great. But it is not in the pretty part of town. For historical flavor, the La Fonda hotel on the plaza is wonderful and steeped in NM history. Then there is the Hotel Santa Fe, which is owned by an Indian Pueblo and has that flavor in its food and decor. Many great restaurants in SF from cheap to NYC expensive.

jennym

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you all so very much. Trying to put together a late Feb or early March trip. That is of course depending on snow!

jennym

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, Lori K, your avatar is soooo cool! That must have been fun and scary! I hope to ski that brave one day!

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, Lori K, your avatar is soooo cool! That must have been fun and scary! I hope to ski that brave one day!

Thanks jennym, but it really wasn't as scary as it looks. :wink:

I'd be happy to show you the spot at Taos where the pic was taken. Right next to a wide blue groomer.

chaletlaforet

Certified Ski Diva
We were at Taos over new year and had a wonderful time. Lovely friendly people, who took us out skinning several times, it was a great place! You must be very happy there , Lori_K :smile:

We stayed in a really nice little casita in Taos itself which was great, we loved it.
https://taosvacationhomes.com/detail_property.php?pid=153

edit - this was opposite and looked beautiful
https://taosterritorial.com/

We met the people who run
https://www.taosmountainlodge.net/
and dropped in to see them. It's a lovely place, very spacious, and they are wonderful people. Much closer to the ski area too.

I agree, Eske's Brew Pub was super! Also, more upmarket, the Sabroso bar and restaurant in Arroyo Seco, in a lovely old adobe. She made a wonderful margarita and the food was ace.

Here I am in Taos, touring on a splitboard for the first time!

392658_10150557233073923_607993922_10669581_684725790_n.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga