• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New John Irving Novel "The Last Chairlift"

Maramads

Diva in Training
I tried to read it, but really struggled to get past the first chapter. I’d love to hear more reviews! Just couldn’t do it.

Christy

Angel Diva
After 100 pages I had no idea what this book was about. At 200 I thought I was starting to know, but now at 325 I realize it might just be about every theme John Irving has ever written about plus one very topical new one? I skimmed back in this thread and saw the action moves off the continent and there's an avalanche?? And we haven't even gone to Aspen yet which I assume happens.

I'm not bored though. It's pretty easy to imagine the author saying dammit this might be my last book and I will not be edited.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
After 100 pages I had no idea what this book was about. At 200 I thought I was starting to know, but now at 325 I realize it might just be about every theme John Irving has ever written about plus one very topical new one? I skimmed back in this thread and saw the action moves off the continent and there's an avalanche?? And we haven't even gone to Aspen yet which I assume happens.

I'm not bored though. It's pretty easy to imagine the author saying dammit this might be my last book and I will not be edited.
I’m 700 pages in and giggling often. It does seem like he incorporated many chunks of unused material on his usual, and also some new, or what were once timely, themes. Interesting thought that this may be because he thinks this could be his last book. I think there’s bits to amuse himself and maybe other writers, commenting on first vs third person narrators, why the protagonist’s (his own) books are more popular with women than men, getting his screenplays actually made into movies, etc etc. He remains incredibly current, for a guy pushing 80. He really goes to town on pronouns! His perpectives on love and on sexuality are uplifting. I personally find his wordplay utterly entertaining. I love how the important characters have many names/descriptors in the same paragraph and sometimes in the same sentence! Like he couldn’t decide as he was writing it, or he was just amusing himself There is a lot of interesting detail on skiing, ski culture, instructors, resorts, night grooming, lifts, all presented in passing as the plot, if you want to call it that, untwists.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Got to about page 350 and still wondering where the skiing Is and who is Adam’s (conceived at Hotel Jerome) father ? Gave up and moved on to another book

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna