• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: New - Fat and need skis

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:laugh:

I'm going to practice giggling, starting NOW! :laugh:

:snow:
Humph. I make a motion that a bunch of us try it together next week during Diva West. That way we'll all be giggling, and we won't be able to tell exactly who anybody else is giggling at! :ski3:

Context, litterbug, context!

You know you me, c'mon! Do you really think that was said with ill will toward ski bum? :noidea: She arrives in two weeks from ....yesterday,:yahoo:and my remark was an expression of my eagerness to see her and anticipation of the fun, giggles included, that we're going to have.

She
got it (her reply was made elsewhere) but now you have me worried that everyone else thought that was a mean, snarky remark!
It really wasn't intended (or received) that way, I promise!:tape: :yield:
:ski::snow:

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bag:\
Context, litterbug, context!

You know you me, c'mon! Do you really think that was said with ill will toward ski bum? :noidea: She arrives in two weeks from ....yesterday,:yahoo:and my remark was an expression of my eagerness to see her and anticipation of the fun, giggles included, that we're going to have.
She got it (her reply was made elsewhere) but now you have me worried that everyone else thought that was a mean, snarky remark!
It really wasn't intended (or received) that way, I promise!:tape: :yield:
:ski::snow:
Oh no, I never saw this post. I knew you were kidding (and you were indeed funny), and I was trying to kid too! The move looked extremely awkward, and I thought how strange it would look if I tried it by myself, but that it'd be a hoot if I had a gang of Divas sprawled on the snow with me. Just goes to show how important it is for me to avoid being dry on the internet. :bag:

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried it when I was lying in the trees and didn't want to take my skis off in order to get up. I totally failed, but can see the benefit of this technique in that situation. It may feel ridiculous, but it can't be any worse than shoving your poles into the snow to push yourself up and having them sink down to be even with the surface of the snow.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bag:\
Oh no, I never saw this post. I knew you were kidding (and you were indeed funny), and I was trying to kid too! The move looked extremely awkward, and I thought how strange it would look if I tried it by myself, but that it'd be a hoot if I had a gang of Divas sprawled on the snow with me. Just goes to show how important it is for me to avoid being dry on the internet. :bag:

WHEW! I feel better now! I was thinking the same thing about trying to be funny on the Internet!

I haven't tried this, but have gotten up twice without removing my skis in the last week! Once I buried my tips in deep pow in bumps and we were in a hurry to catch friends who'd takes a faster route, and it was work. The other I had "bailed" on the top of a monster bump in Wounded Knee so it was just a matter of clearing enuf snow away to get situated and stand up with them on the downhill side, but I haven't succeeded in doing that in years! Maybe I'm getting a little stronger!

eokie

Diva in Training
I had the time of my life!! I ended up buying Rossignol Temptation 76 156cm. They feel great, and I have great control with them. I have not fallen yet (knock on wood), but I have also been staying on the "bunny" slopes. When I woke up the next morning I felt like my legs were going to fall off! I am already totally addicted. Thanks for the help everyone.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Every time I see this thread title, I read it as "need new fat skis," and I'm like, you and me both! <3 fat skis.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I try new sports just so I can buy gear! I LOVE GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you love buying gear, this is definitely the right forum for you. :-) You've gotten so much good advice already... FWIW, I have huge calves and very wide feet and I had a rough time with boots until I found the Dalbello Aspire. Dalbellos might be worth asking about if you have similar issues (especially if you can't find a boot fitter nearby). They're very adjustable, have a lot of beg/int options, and female-foot friendly. There are a lot of good threads here about what to look for in a boot.

I'll echo what others have said about demoing if you can. You can also ask if any shops have lease programs. You might be able to get a deal this late in the season, and it's likely that you'll 'outgrow' your beginner skis very quickly.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@eokie Sorry; I missed the start date of this thread. Congrats on the Rossi 76! Sounds like a great beginner ski for you. Which boot did you end up getting, btw?

Scrapula

Certified Ski Diva
I have wide feet and large calves. Went with the Atomic Live Fit 60, since I am a beginner. The 80's were too stiff for me.

eokie

Diva in Training
@eokie Which boot did you end up getting, btw?

I ended up with the Dalbello Aspire! I have long skinny canoe foot (size 11). Mens shoes in general are often to wide. The boot fitter was fantastic. He had me try different ones on each foot and did not give his opinion until I gave him mine. He customized that boot to feel like a glove! He took the buckles off and readjusted them. I love them. :smile:

callmijane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another heavyweight "weighing in".....

There's a trick to getting up without flailing around, especially on flat terrain. I looked for a video and couldn't find anything, so I'll get some posted from my GoPro this weekend. The trick is to roll over onto your belly with your head pointing uphill and your toes on both feet pointed out in a V shape. Lower your head, raise your bum, push back with your arms and let your feet slide back and together. I've never seen anyone who couldn't do this.

IT WORKS!!! I fell this morning and my skies ended up in the V position, so I figured I'd give it a shot before rolling over, and voila! I got up! Of course, I was on a moderate pitch, not a flat.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oy, 13 was the worst.age.ever in my life. I feel so dumb writing lol (especially after reading about the elaborate linguistic functions of the term in teenage correspondence). ;) But I'm trying to use a lot more emoticons to show when I'm trying to be light, or am honestly confused, or whatever.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna