• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New boots too stiff - can I (personally) do the flex adjustment on the rear spine?

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Divas, I have a new boot!! I went to a bootfitter and left with the Rossi Pure Elite 120 GW. They are a better fit than my first 2 pairs (1 size down), thank goodness someone finally listened to me. But, they are also stiffer than what I am used to (95 in a hybrid boot, the Atomic Hawx XTD) and I can't flex at all, winding up in the backseat. I am 5'4,130lb, and intermediate.

The product page says they have flex adjustment via a "simple rear spine screw adjustment." Can I do this myself or is it best to take it to a bootfitter? See boot here - https://www.rossignol.com/us-en/pure-elite-120-gw---red-RBL2210000.html and specifically, the lower left quadrant photo

Last edited:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure exactly about those but I have the Nordica Pro machine 115 and the boot fitter initially removed both the bolts from the rear for me. The bolts were replaced with a plastic button thingy, to protect the hole. Took a couple of minutes to add the bolt back in when I'd worn the boot in, so it's a very quick adjustment for them to do if you're not 100% sure.

On the other hand, it might be that black plastic thing in between the 2 bolts and you can just turn that. My husband's boots have something like that, think it just pulls the top bolt out to soften the flex.

Maybe call the bootfitters to check though?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Divas, I have a new boot!! I went to a bootfitter and left with the Rossi Pure Elite 120 GW. They are a better fit than my first 2 pairs (1 size down), thank goodness someone finally listened to me. But, they are also stiffer than what I am used to (95 in a hybrid boot, the Atomic Hawx XTD) and I can't flex at all, winding up in the backseat. I am 5'4,130lb, and intermediate.

The product page says they have flex adjustment via a "simple rear spine screw adjustment." Can I do this myself or is it best to take it to a bootfitter? See boot here - https://www.rossignol.com/us-en/pure-elite-120-gw---red-RBL2210000.html and specifically, the lower left quadrant photo

I took a look around and someone else detailed it here: https://www.newschoolers.com/news/read/2016-Rossignol-Allspeed-120-ultimate-park-boot

1709160960936.png

These perticular boots feature the possibility of up to three bolts in the cuff. With all three the flex will be 130, with two in (like I have it) it's 120, with one bolt it's 110 and with all three out they are 100 so a very good rnge from one boot.
I think you'll need remove the one of the bolts and replace it with a screw cap. It will be 110 flex then. Did those come with your boots? If it doubt though, I'd see the fitter. I needed some lean adjustments on mine and while I had the instructions to do it myself and the tools necessary, I still let the fitter do it in case there was something I wasn't taking into account.

mustski

Angel Diva
If you do go to the boot fitter, have they show you how to do it. That way, if you want to stiffen it up again, you can. I used to stiffen my Kryzmas in spring because the warm weather made them feel too soft. They were perfect in winter.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Thanks everyone! As someone who reads instruction manuals, I would have looked at the booklet @Jilly , but the bootfitter handed me the boots and broke down the box! If there was a booklet and extra screw caps, they're not with me.

Thanks for looking and the link, @TiffAlt. Since I don't have a screw cap, anyway, I'll take it to someone. I won't be in the area of the original bootfitter until next week but will be at Whiteface this Saturday. Since I'll be at the ski shop for demo skis, maybe they'll be willing to help me there with this simple (to them) task. I'll ask them to show me @mustski !

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I started latching the top buckle one notch looser than I had been, and that made a huge improvement on my boots engaging what I attempt, and feel I can actually flex more, which made my boots feel softer. I will say I have tendencies to over tighten... was really bad back in my snowboarding days with BOA laces. You can really over crank down easily in BOA snowboarding boots.

My boots are cabrio though, so the buckles are at different points vs wrap around. I really like the ankle buckle of my dabello panterras, I can actually secure my hypermobile ankle/foot, so the looser calf buckle may not have the same effect in wrap arounds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga