• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: need unbiased help on skis

sier

Diva in Training
I started skiing last year & managed to pick it up OK. I took lessons & will be taking more this year. I rented skis but now want to buy my own. I have many friends who are instructors & all have given advice. I want a half decent pair but don't want to spend a fortune. Here is what I have been looking at....K2 True Luv, Dynastar Exclusive 8, Magfire 2 & 4 and Elan Gold Spice. If anyone has tried any of these, please help!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Can you provide us with more details? How do you ski? And where and under what conditions? Also, do you have boots yet? That's even more critical than skis.

For skis, it really is best to demo. Sometimes skis seem like they're just perfect -- but when you get them on the hill, you decide you don't like them for one reason or another. I hope you'll have the opportunity to do that, before you make a purchase.

sier

Diva in Training
I ski in the Gatineaus in Quebec on machine groomed, packed snow. Sometimes there will be powder and they make snow fairly often. It can also get quite icy in patches. It's a real mix!
I have a pair of Head S8 boots that I absolutely love.
Thanks for your help.

Jilly

Staff member
Are you living on the Quebec or Ontario side of the river? I would suggest Tommy and Lefevbre on Bank or Kundstat (however it's spelt?) out in the west end of Ottawa. Don't know who is in Gatineau anymore. Stay away from Sportchek or Sport expert!! As for skis, demoing is all important. Keep an eye on the websites for Edelwiess, Mont Cascades, Camp Fortune, Mont Ste. Marie for demo days. T and L will have them for sure at Edelwiess. That list looks good, and I would like to add the Rossi Attraxion 3, Atomic Cloud 7, Roxy Swell or Sugah and Salomon Crystal.

Now isn't that fun - its worst than shopping for shoes!

Sherry

Diva in Training
Demo for a year

While demo skis can be a bit more costly, unless you are logging a ton of days, try using someone else's skis. You will find, even at your level that there are some real differences. Buy some poles, you have boots, so it shouldn't be too much. Then at the end of the season, you will have a clue what you want. Remember you will also get a lot of improvement in the beginning. So if you get a ski that fits your skill now, it may not suit you in a year. Then see if you can buy the demo skis where you rented them. I personally rented demos for a year, maybe more, then bought some Screams that would have been too much for me when I started.

And did I say welcome to the best sport on the planet?

Sherry

Jilly

Staff member
Sherry, in a lot of cases there are demo days that are free. The manufacturers want you to try their skis and will offer them up. And I would never "borrow" a pair of skis from a friend. Boot sizes differ and as well as din settings. And I would never have a friend adjust bindings.
Some ski shops will charge for demos, but that fee is applied to a later purchase. Also if you have a season pass at some hills/resorts there are free demo days attached to that.

Something to look at sier - check with T&L and see if they offer a seasonal rental program, or whatever hill you ski the most. This gives you a chance to try different skis all season. You a choose a pair for one weekend and try them, give them back on Sunday and choose something different next weekenmd or Wednesday. You're not "buying" a pair, but using their skis for the season. (Tremblant offer this, but not sure if anybody around Ottawa does, except maybe T&L)

Buy a pair of poles - they're only $20!! Skis can come later!!

Sherry

Diva in Training
It is true you can demo skis from manufacturers when they have demo days. IF that is one of your ski days. If you aren't there on that day you're stuck with renting from a shop. Often different shops carry different brands so you may want to go from place to place. Over a season, if you ski several times, you will be able to try out a lot of skis. If you rent at the ski area, you may be able to rent a different one every day.

I live at a resort area, so I keep a pair of extra skis for my girls when they come up. I got them from the rental shop with rental bindings, so we just take them in and get them set for the boots. The die-hard skiers bring their own, but my girls just snow play. I would never borrow a pair of skis either. But I'm pretty picky.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga