• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Naming Winter Storms

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
You may have heard this already, but the Weather Channel recently announced that it's going to start naming winter storms. They say a storm with a name is easier to follow, particularly in social media.

More about all this here.

What do you think? What type of names would you like to see? And if you were going to name a storm, what would it be?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Names of politicians, because of the winds, might be appropriate, but I'd rather see names from mythology (Greek, Norse, etc.)

But I wonder whether it is necessary--I don't like how the news business makes a big deal about normal weather changes ("Devil Winds!! News at 10").

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, based on the word we're getting about the current storm, I think "Sandy" should be renamed to something more appropriate, like "WomanScorned".

mustski

Angel Diva
Well, based on the word we're getting about the current storm, I think "Sandy" should be renamed to something more appropriate, like "WomanScorned".
In SoCal they are calling Sandy, "Frankenstorm." I like the idea of naming winter storms after politicians. The bigger the storm, the bigger the windbag chosen!

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any names are better than Snowmaggedon and Snowpocalypse! I would be honored to have a storm named Kristen.

abc

Banned
I couldn't care less if they name winter storms, as long as they forecast it right!

I got stuck in traffic for 3 1/2 hrs today because the roads were not plowed at all!

Never mind that I didn't see any plows. The police are totally invisible! At one road (not a small one), stuck cars block half of the road. So what's all the cars do trying to get past without police help? They gun their engine trying to go around it, WITHOUT letting cars from the opposit direction to clear first!!! Idiots! So both cars had to brake, which caused both of them to slide off the side of the road. Then the WHOLE road were blocked!!!

And on the freeway section, I was keeping a safe following distance, BUT ONLY FOR A FEW SECONDS! Cars after cars slid right into that safety zone I reserve for myself!!! Now remember, this is on a road that's entirely un-plowed, and re-frozen (temperature right around freezing mark). It's not like they don't see reminder of what happen to cars before them, there were plenty of cars already stuck all along the side of the road!

BTW, I do like it that they end up using the Greek Gods. Athena is a whole nicer than Sandy...

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the upside is that Joel from OpenSnow.com is naming the storms out west as a result, which gives me a few minutes of entertainment. So far we've had Elvira (who showed up around Halloween), and this weekend, hopefully bringing the goods to Colorado, we have Obamney. :smile:

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/post/386

Jilly

Staff member
Is that meant to be a combination of Obama and Romney? Elivra! Can't wait to see the next one!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is happening in utah too. We just got hammered with a 47" storm that everyone is calling "Brutus".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga